SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thank you to jljones & OpSpec Training Videos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank you to jljones & OpSpec Training Videos Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I watched jljones video on grip pressure when it was posted here some time ago, and I noticed that his "thumbs forward" grip (image capture below) was much more "forward" with the support hand than mine was. Also, his support or weak hand wrist is cocked down, preloading it against the recoil.

With my grip, my index finger of my weak hand was directly in front of the middle finger of my strong hand, pressed against the bottom of the trigger guard. My strong hand thumbnail was just over the last joint of my weak hand thumb. jljones' weak hand is much further forward on the gun than mine. Needless to say, I also learned something from the video about grip pressure.

I tried the grip and pressure lesson in dry fire, and liked how it felt and decided to try it on the range.

Now, it's summer in Florida and damned hot. I've also just moved, am working a couple of jobs, and helping to maintain a horse farm. I haven't shot much in the last 5 months, but I got out this weekend.

I shot the best groups I have ever shot with a 1911, 228, 229/.40, SigPro/9 and 938. Hands down the best.

So here's a grateful THANK YOU to jljones and the OpSpec training team for the video and clear presentation style.

Hopefully I will have the chance to take the class live and in person at some point.

ETA: Link to video. Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a class last year with them. Same thing; my grip, which worked well all these years, was adjusted over several days, and my shooting improved substantially. Apparently my bad habits stemmed from a lot of revolver use.

I signed up for another go this fall. If you get a chance to attend in person, make the trip.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Their videos are great...their in-person training is greater, still! Smile

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. I'm trying to be more consistent in putting out helpful videos on a more consistent basis. Thanks for checking us out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the videos, they help me out.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Dear God I have a hard time mentally wrapping my head around the off hand grip pressure vs primary shooting hand. I understand it and have been working on it more but it is not natural or automatic for me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post

New video is up. Thanks again, fellas.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

New video is up. Thanks again, fellas.

Just subbed your youtube, didn't know it was there. Great stuff!!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Jones, an interesting issue came up here. How does holding a semi differ from holding a revolver. I shoot a Glock like a revolver, but other semi autos require a different hold for me.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:

Just subbed your youtube,

seriously? I'd never follow an instructor who doesnt have a beard and plate carrier.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:

Just subbed your youtube,

seriously? I'd never follow an instructor who doesnt have a beard and plate carrier.

Bwahahahhhaaa. Smile

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a timely post. About 8 years ago I changed from a thumb over thumb hold to a thumbs forward hold. I just started re-evaluating my handhold due to picking up a G21 a couple of weeks ago. I have large hands, but it felt like I was squeezing the bejeezus out of it during dry fire. After some research I saw that a good rule of thumb is to have your weak hand thumb even with your strong hand pointer finger when along the frame. This indeed results in what Artie mentions as a cocked down or preloaded feel in the weak hand. I read this in Brian Enos' book (think he calls it 'cammed') but it never clicked. For whatever reason after years of lurking and seeing jljones' posts - I never checked out his videos. Won't be making that mistake again.
I have yet to hit the range with the new G21 but I'm also anxious to work on my grip - the whole 60% vs 40% strong vs weak grip is something I want to try. I find that when I'm shooting .45 I end up shaking from the grip after a while which is something I don't think I used to do.
Hope to take one of your classes one day-

Posts: 406 | Location: NW FL | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post