SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I played around with distressing a 1911 with Cerakote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I played around with distressing a 1911 with Cerakote Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I'm learning, so I experimented with distressing a 1911. I'm not so sure I like it, so I may take it down and start over. I know it's not everyone's bag as it's not basic black, but it's an exercise. What do yawl think? It started as Coyote Tan, slight cure, a little black, slight cure and distressing then a little Crimson Red and distressing. I cured the distressed colors at 180 for 15 mins, next time I may shorten that a tad and see how it cuts.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it looks pretty damn good....

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Great job! I really like it.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago, I read an article in Hot Rod magazine about guys who were painting rust and corrosion on to their newly finished hot rods to make them look like they were sitting in a barn for the last 50 years. This reminds me of that article.

I like your idea. It looks cool and original.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gotta admit, the description sounded awful (tans and black and red)....but the end result looks good.

Another option would be a silver base coat and the closest color to traditional parkerizing on top, then when it distressed down it will look natural, but be protected.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks good!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it looks a heck of a lot better than most others. Just be careful to keep the wear areas in spots that really get touched. I might put a set of old grips on when doing the frame so you get the naturally protected area along their edges.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I was worried when I first started this thread....then I saw the pics - I think you did really well! It looks surprisingly good - I like it.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments, I'm not sure why, everybody likes it more than I. In person it draws oohs and ahs, but I'm more critical of it. That was my second try with this one, I sand blasted the first try off. I have a Springfield Armory M1A in Troy chassis. I have the idea to do the chassis in poor white.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I like it as well.

As for your comment about others liking it more than you... You went into this with an idea in your head. everything that came out slightly different than your idea is a flag or sticker to you. We don't see those same differences, so we can appreciate it better.

Plus, if it were me doing that? It'd end up looking like someone rubbed crayons over spilled paint!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too it looks good.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looks cool to me. Needs some beat-up wood or ivory grips though.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3207 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Looks cool to me. Needs some beat-up wood or ivory grips though.
I almost got these, a little "I don't know" look!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...GwOvAAhyL&ref=plSrch

Beth Greene

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I think you did nice work on it, however the look is not my cup of tea.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
Can't really judge by pictures. From every picture I'd ever seen, the SIG Spartan was one of the ugliest 1911s I'd ever seen. Once I saw it in person, they actually look pretty darned good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd finish it normally and let it get "distressed" with normal use.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Look ma, twins!

Beth Greene

posted Hide Post
I like it and think it looks good .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
me likey, looks kind of a bronze tone to it. love the contrasting grips too!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I think it turned out pretty darn well from the pics. Good job.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post