SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Curious... Why Hi Power didn't go the way of the 1911
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curious... Why Hi Power didn't go the way of the 1911 Login/Join 
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
To my mind, the P-35 and 1911 are each very different pistols, with different capabilities and potentials for wider success. To the limited degree the P-35 was popular commercially, it’s because it was adopted and available in spite of it’s technical limitations. I believe the 1911 would have become commercially successful in any regard.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g26s239:
I suspect the horrid trigger was a factor. The only BHP I ever fired was a late 80s commercial model from Belgium with beautiful bluing and the shittiest SA trigger pull on any auto pistol I ever tried.

LOL....

THIS ^^^^

The bluing on mine was a belle. The trigger was a brick.

I didn’t want to spend the cash to make it shootable.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about cost? Towards the end a BHP cost around $1K which is simply too much for what you got. A Beretta 92 or M9 is little more than half the price, and a CZ is also a lot less expensive.

I regret not picking up an FN HiPower for $399 or $499 when they were importing non-Browning versions a decade ago. Browning just marked them up too much.

And I agree - the hammer bite, stupid mag disconnect and crappy SA trigger required lots of work out of the box. Had they fixed those things, I would have one now. Nighthawk and Novak's do an awesome job on BHP's but then you're up in the $3K range.

And, for a double stack all-metal 9mm - The P226 kind of took over anyway, so can't really argue with that.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree with any of the above. I do think the 1911 fits a wider variety of hands. As noted, the Hi-Power is not well suited to larger hands.

But I think the main reason is that the 1911 was the service pistol for 80 years, and is still in use by the U.S. military.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the Hi-Power supposed to be all that the M1911 wanted to be but never was? I got the impression that the HP was supposed to be an upgrade of the 1911?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the design criterion.

The 1911 was Browning and Colt's response to US Army requirements.
The BHP was Browning, Saive, and FN's response to Belgian and other European military requirements.

Although the Continent could have had the Grand Browning - 1911 design in 9.65mm - if they had been smart.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Wasn't the Hi-Power supposed to be all that the M1911 wanted to be but never was? I got the impression that the HP was supposed to be an upgrade of the 1911?

It might have been had John Browning been able to finish the design before he passed. Patents with the 1911 still in place, prevented Browning from using them in the Hipower. Saive who finished the design did additions (like adding a magazine disconnect safety (for a French military contract that never happened) that took away from the pistol. Had JMB finished the design it might very well had been better than the 1911.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
For me it comes down to a couple issues with the BHP.

First the safety: it’s mushy and doesn’t flick on and off. Also it’s shape is weird. If it swept more like a 1911 safety, it would be much better. As much as I love the beretta 92, I think its safety holds it back too.

Second the slide release: it’s long and looks/feels old. The 1911 slide release looks/feels modern.

I’ve long thought about a custom BHP with those two issues fixed, but they’d be custom parts which means expensive and I can’t find new ones if I need them.

Otherwise, it has a good trigger, is super thin and has a relatively short overall height (think g19).

I would love to see the industry update those older two parts and make it a viable modern contender. In its original form, the 1911 wouldn’t be a contender today. It was only because we settled on some new updates for it. (Safety and sights being the main ones that come to mind).

The safety on the MKIIII's clicks on an off.

I actually prefer the long slide release on the Hi Power in that it is used to aid in field stripping the gun.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1911 endures because of:
Nostalgia from long military service in the U.S.
Caliber
Trigger
Browning has non of these,and that is pretty much the answer

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post