SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .22 conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 conversion Login/Join 
Picture of oldseabag860
posted
With the availability of .9mm pretty slim, I have a .22 conversion for my 226 will it eat anything but cci mini mags , I have plenty but have more other brands that I would like to use up
any comments?

"NO TWENTY TWO FOR YOU"

Posts: 269 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: January 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve read they typically work great with CCI Mini Mags.
You may be amazed at what the used older 22 conversion kits
are selling for online. Much more than most complete new 22lr pistols.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe maybe not, that is the history of these conversions. I have had essentially minimal issues running minimags. I can run federal automatch with acceptable reliability. I can run aquila super extra again ok. But all these, and any really, .22's are in the try and see category. so load up what you got and see what you get. There is no magic in advance formula.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accepting a malfunction every now and then with 22’s especially conversion kits is just the way it goes.certainly in domestic brands cci is the most likely to work best with federal a distant second and from my perspective ( yes’m I am a .22 snob!) I won’t even waste my time with Remington or Winchester( maybe with the Remington ammo division being sold we can hope quality can improve!?)
I find Mexican aguila to work better than federal Winchester or Remington
For almost all my 22’s I use something European like eley or sk.

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this situation nothing normal applies. But you would be somewhat crazy to
run true eley or sk precision stuff in a conversion kit. I and a zillion others will swap
that for stuff that runs better and is cheaper .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
I had some function problems with mine but after I polished the plastic guide rod the problems went away completely.

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
In this situation nothing normal applies. But you would be somewhat crazy to
run true eley or sk precision stuff in a conversion kit. I and a zillion others will swap
that for stuff that runs better and is cheaper .

My most recent purchase of eley action in 50 round boxes was under $4 a box. And just ordered ( it was actually in stock!) a 1/2 case of eley contact to try at under $5/ box.
Find CCI mini mags anywhere for under $4/50 rounds currently!
When mini mags are everywhere on the shelf for under 3.50/50 rounds they are a good choice, this is just not the case currently.
Even in “normal” times paying an extra penny per shot for the eley is worth it to me

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we were speaking a bit at cross purposes. I was discussing the potential use of eley or lapua true match ammo like midas+, or tenex. Not the stuff intended for a different market segment like contact.IF anyone was using those kinds of match ammo in a conversion kit because that is what they had I would happily swap them for minimags at some multiplication ratios. I have no concept of per box pricing since I never buy that way or really pricing at all in this market since I'm not going to be a buyer, but I would think that in this market eley of any kind for $.08 would seem a good deal.

Picture of oldseabag860
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TN Mark:
I’ve read they typically work great with CCI Mini Mags.
You may be amazed at what the used older 22 conversion kits
are selling for online. Much more than most complete new 22lr pistols.

Seen one on eBay for 799.00, that's a little less than I paid for my 226 6 years ago, well not a little , about 200.00

"NO TWENTY TWO FOR YOU"

Posts: 269 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: January 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of oldseabag860
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Accepting a malfunction every now and then with 22’s especially conversion kits is just the way it goes.certainly in domestic brands cci is the most likely to work best with federal a distant second and from my perspective ( yes’m I am a .22 snob!) I won’t even waste my time with Remington or Winchester( maybe with the Remington ammo division being sold we can hope quality can improve!?)
I find Mexican aguila to work better than federal Winchester or Remington
For almost all my 22’s I use something European like eley or sk.

If I reload the rounds that wouldn't fire they will go off on the second try, initially they showed a small indention on the rim

"NO TWENTY TWO FOR YOU"

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Strange, I've had no problems with minimags, Federal, AutoMatch, Aquilla, or anything I have tried.

EDIT it din't run flawless at first, it took about 100-150 rounds to run flawless.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of oldseabag860
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berg:
I had some function problems with mine but after I polished the plastic guide rod the problems went away completely.

mine fires best when its wet ,(good heavy oil lube)

"NO TWENTY TWO FOR YOU"

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have a threaded conversion and love it. To get reliable fire, I must swap the mainspring from lightened to the original weight.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long ago did Sig discontinue the 2289-22 conversion? That should be the model for a non rail 229.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Mine runs best wet.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post