SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another G19 sized pistol. FN
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another G19 sized pistol. FN Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
FN 509 midsize

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
This is going to sell like crazy around here. The full-size 509 doesn’t stay stocked for long, only real complaint I’ve here around here is the frame length.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I see the MSRP is $649, so street price shouldn't be too bad

More competition is always a good thing, lots of folks coming after the G19 now. Its been the perfect size pistol for years, and I guess others are finally figuring that out

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fine looking pistol, actually.

Q

Posts: 26340 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I haven't shot one, the FN509 Tac feels great in the hand, need to give it a go one day. I imagine the new one will too.

Haven't had any luck on the sales front with the couple I have though, surprised to hear they sell so well other places.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Fine looking pistol, actually.

I agree ... add another one to the list!

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
While I haven't shot one, the FN509 Tac feels great in the hand, need to give it a go one day. I imagine the new one will too.

Haven't had any luck on the sales front with the couple I have though, surprised to hear they sell so well other places.

Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has the 509 Tac, BOGO free Vortex Venom RDS.

Q

Posts: 26340 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I love it. Glock for years made the 19. Other companies would simply shorten the slide and call it the carry model or simply only offer a 4 inch barrel on a full size frame. Now there's the M&P 2.0 to compete, and the FN carry model. What does glock do? Send out a 17 with a 19 slide.

I've carried a 19 for awhile and will continue to do, but glad to see other companies are following with a similar size to compete.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fixed 3-dot night sight available (LE ONLY)

Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The orange area I marked on the grip seems like it should have been done much cleaner for an over $400 dollar pistol.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just rub the orange off! Big Grin

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
I love it. Glock for years made the 19. Other companies would simply shorten the slide and call it the carry model or simply only offer a 4 inch barrel on a full size frame. Now there's the M&P 2.0 to compete, and the FN carry model. What does glock do? Send out a 17 with a 19 slide.

I've carried a 19 for awhile and will continue to do, but glad to see other companies are following with a similar size to compete.

Contrary to popular belief the G19X was not created as a conceal carry handgun and was not intended to be for the civilian market either, what is more interesting is why is the G19X and G45 something nobody wanted are flying off the shelves?. The G45 is intended as a duty type handgun and its flying off the shelves around here.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting to see a picture of one of these stacked next to a Glock 19 to get a good read on the size comparison.

Right now my favorite glock-a-like is the M&P 2.0 Compact. I don't see anything in this that would change my mind.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea this was coming. The 509, although well reviewed, has not been of any real interest to me. Until this one. Got a couple on the way to check out.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The 509 has been a below average seller for us, mostly because of its size. This one however should do better. At least FN addressed past polymer problems with the FNS and now the 509. It will take a while but if the aftermarket winds up broadly supporting the gun it could make life at Smyrna a little more uncomfortable.

It also would be nice if FN would loosen its own reins and allow more than just Midwest (and themselves) to distribute and sell factory parts.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would think Glock's main competition would be the M&P and SIG P320 at this point. If a buyer wants Glock-ish but not actually Glock, what does this bring to the table that those don't? Or am I missing something.

quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The 509 has been a below average seller for us, mostly because of its size. This one however should do better. At least FN addressed past polymer problems with the FNS and now the 509. It will take a while but if the aftermarket winds up broadly supporting the gun it could make life at Smyrna a little more uncomfortable.

It also would be nice if FN would loosen its own reins and allow more than just Midwest (and themselves) to distribute and sell factory parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
No, you haven't missed anything. The 509 is still very much a minor player as near as I can tell, in the civilian market and certainly with contract sales. Up until now FNH hasn't done a lot to expand their appeal; aside from appeasing the requirements of the MHS, the 509 really doesn't do anything significantly better than the earlier FNS. And to that my point is that FN might very well do better if they actively encourage third party participation in developing a healthy ecosystem for the 509 platform, and if they open up their supply chain. They may be back of the pack now but they don't have to play it as if their resigned to second-fiddle status; the fact that they now brought a smaller 509 to market seems to bear that out. But it's not enough to just copy if they hope to capture a larger percentage of the marketplace.

If that result were to happen, certainly Glock would take notice as would everyone else fighting for market share. A lot of 'ifs' but it's up to FN to decide whether or not the reward is worth the effort. I would think that the potential benefits reaped would be, but what do I know?

Aside: per your comments, I personally don't think of the 320C as much of competitor for the G19 due to the SIG's relative width. These days 320 sales have become brutally sluggish for our shop, and I don't think that it's just us since SIG now has a promo going on to entice people to buy their gun. I do believe that the fervor over the 365 has put a bit of a chill on the 320. And people interested in the G19 rarely look at the 320C; they stick to the M&P 9 Compact if they're going to go anywhere at all besides the G19. At least that's been the shopping pattern with our shop.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Vis a vis the 509. I figured as much. The third party support is always a Catch 22. Unless a gun has the user base, it's not getting the third party support, and a lot of shooters will be hesitant to buy a gun unless they see that it has third party support.

I thought the P320 was doing better. The recal... er, voluntary upgrade probably didn't help. Although it seemed to be getting good LE agency adoption. But as a carry, gun, yes, it has size issues relative to competing Glock models.

And Smith seems to have finally, after a decade screwing around, gotten the M&P line right-ish.

quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
No, you haven't missed anything. The 509 is still very much a minor player as near as I can tell, in the civilian market and certainly with contract sales. Up until now FNH hasn't done a lot to expand their appeal; aside from appeasing the requirements of the MHS, the 509 really doesn't do anything significantly better than the earlier FNS. And to that my point is that FN might very well do better if they actively encourage third party participation in developing a healthy ecosystem for the 509 platform, and if they open up their supply chain. They may be back of the pack now but they don't have to play it as if their resigned to second-fiddle status; the fact that they now brought a smaller 509 to market seems to bear that out. But it's not enough to just copy if they hope to capture a larger percentage of the marketplace.

If that result were to happen, certainly Glock would take notice as would everyone else fighting for market share. A lot of 'ifs' but it's up to FN to decide whether or not the reward is worth the effort. I would think that the potential benefits reaped would be, but what do I know?

Aside: per your comments, I personally don't think of the 320C as much of competitor for the G19 due to the SIG's relative width. These days 320 sales have become brutally sluggish for our shop, and I don't think that it's just us since SIG now has a promo going on to entice people to buy their gun. I do believe that the fervor over the 365 has put a bit of a chill on the 320. And people interested in the G19 rarely look at the 320C; they stick to the M&P 9 Compact if they're going to go anywhere at all besides the G19. At least that's been the shopping pattern with our shop.