SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Missing P320 Grips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing P320 Grips Login/Join 
posted
Local supper-SIG store had SIG day today. Rep from SIG was asked closely about the non-existance of grips. He contended that only one injection molding machine was in use and it was working full time to make Medium grips to go on pistols that were flying out of the door. Only now-and-again would the dies be changed to make grips that were not immediately to be placed on pistols (small and large).

Better news is that SIG fellow looked on his computer and found that some grips (long ordered) and scheduled to arrive.

Also mentioned the expectation that it would be August before Military contract would kick in.

Ebay has non-medium grips selling for three times list!

The thing speaks for itself! ! ! Mac

Also went to BIG Michigan gun show today: Very few of the new Ruger Mark IV were seen and no 22/45 Mark IV. Tons of AR-15 types.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey P320Mac: Was the SIG event at Williams? Was it worth going to? Busy? Did they have some different stuff available to shoot? Bought two SIGs from there in the last month.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Williams. However, as I understand it, SIG fellow was only on site on Saturday.
Apparently, one could shoot 15 rounds in a bunch of different SIG pistols and a MPX on the excellent range (at what looked like a very short distance). Other than 1911 and some internal-hammer pistols, I have no interest in other hammer fired pistols so we went on to gun show after time with SIG fellow. Excellent shop and range.

Apparently, some special prices exist even tomorrow. I have no idea what the prices are, but might still be worth a drive. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Williams is having a SIG day? Still going tomorrow? Hmmm. Maybe I'll make the drive.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ddown
posted Hide Post
I went picked my 320 from a long repair and and picked up a hat. Shot 100 rounds thru repaired pistol and a 226 Sig had there. It was busy at Williams. I'm not sure SIG was ready for the Army Contract can't find grips, springs, or anything for the 320. Makes me think it might not be be the gun to have for the next couple years.

Posts: 17 | Location: MI | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With several P320 in the family, I too have a concern. One must put Mr. Gray's trigger/spring inside to begin to have a trigger that is not too heavy. Wife likes P320 and bought herself a P320F9 RX. Measured trigger is gritty and requires almost 40 newtons (about 8.8 pounds-force) to trip. This in a pistol intended for competition. . . . and after months, still can not find a New series, Full grip, small size, and black. Sig fellow told me injection molding machines are mostly making "Medium" grips to put on pistols flying-out-of-the- door. Once in a while, dies are changed to make other than medium.

Supply issues are one thing, but the number of very small parts and very small springs used in the action reminds me of an old-time mechanical watch. Not much of an issue for casual use, but in field conditions? I use a very early P320C9 in IDPA competition that Mr. Gray improved. It works better than I do, but how will it work in the sandy places?

Some good people at Williams - glad you attended. Mac

Mac in Michigan

posted Hide Post
It worries me some also , I need a medium grip now no one in sight in the near future.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except for the SC (Sub compact) all of the P320 that I have seen are shipped with Medium grips.

?? Mac

Mac in Michigan

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Compact 45s are shipped with small grips. They still have not produced the compact medium 45 shells. The wait is getting old now.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Compact 45s are shipped with small grips. They still have not produced the compact medium 45 shells.

Really... That's good to know. I was considering picking up a .45 Compact, but I use the Large grip on my 9mm P320s. So I'm not sure how well the Small would work for me on the 45C.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Compact 45s are shipped with small grips. They still have not produced the compact medium 45 shells.

Really... That's good to know. I was considering picking up a .45 Compact, but I use the Large grip on my 9mm P320s. So I'm not sure how well the Small would work for me on the 45C.

They do make compact large for the 45. Just a bit too girthy for my.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Seems like a poor decision for SIG to only have one vendor producing frames.

While it's nice in concept, paying $40 to try a grip out got old for me.

With the MSH award, it'll only get worse for 320 owners.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I did not know the 45ACP version was being considered.

Considering the volume now, and the volume to come with military contract, it would make good business sense to buy another injection-molding machine. A standard rule is to augment where in the production chain the constriction exists.
It is just possible that such an endeavor would not maximize the bonus of one who should make such a decision. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Picture of ddown
posted Hide Post
Went to Brownells to order striker safety spring, striker spring, trigger spring, B. O. Estimate 8 weeks delivery what away to run a gun company

Posts: 17 | Location: MI | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I run mediums, but just picked up a subcompact in small...I suppose my thinking was minimalist for its size. All that said, I wish Sig would send out "trial packs" to all the dealers/stocking stores...a shelf display of sorts. One of each of the 4 frames, in each of the 3 sizes...so you can actually feel one without having to drop $40 or more.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They do make compact large for the 45. Just a bit too girthy for my.

I'm glad I read this because I just got a 320C small and have been looking for a medium grip and was getting frustrated looking.

I'll try out a large size grip this coming weekend and see how that feels.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddown:
Went to Brownells to order striker safety spring, striker spring, trigger spring, B. O. Estimate 8 weeks delivery what away to run a gun company

Sig? Or Brownells? Not Brownells fault. If it helps Top Gun Supply has most of the P320 parts available today.

Posts: 953 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish Sig would allow aftermarket manufacturers to produce grip shells. I'd like to see a Magpul version.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I wish Sig would allow aftermarket manufacturers to produce grip shells. I'd like to see a Magpul version.

I don't believe there's anything preventing another company from doing so. It's just that none have elected to do it.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddown:

How's that? I am forever intrigued when I read comments like these.

So, should SIG not put these parts into the guns that they are selling so you can have spare parts that likely aren't an issue at this point? Or should they put out a bunch of spare parts so you can bitch about the lack of availability of the number of guns out there?

It is like anything. You have only so much production on a given item. You have to allocate to where these items go. Right now, they are electing to push out these items in new guns. Rightfully so, as I have not heard of the items you mention breaking at a high rate. And it is worth noting, if they were, the internet would be ablaze with comments about it.

The third option is that if it worries you so, to the point of "what a way to run a gun company", you can always stop pissing and moaning on the internet and start your own business having these items made, and selling them to others that believe "what a way to run a gun company".

Everybody wants companies to ramp up production to produce items to make them happy. But, they don't want to pay for that production when the springs become $45 per to cover the cost associated with the ramped up production.

Also, injection molds just aren't cheap for those talking about grip modules. Anywhere from $35k to $75k per. It is easy to say "well, it just seems like that they are making a mistake with only one vendor" when in fact they are operating within a set of guidelines. Those guidelines are set by profit when it comes right down to it. You have to strike a fine balance between "Well, if I had more, I could sell more" and "now we have to sell a $40 grip module for $95 because the new molds have driven our costs way up".

It is also worth pointing out, this has happened to every manufacturer in one sort or another. Magazines, parts, etc.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post