SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P229 vs. CZ SP 01
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P229 vs. CZ SP 01 Login/Join 
posted
I've got the opportunity to trade a pistol for some cash plus one of the two options in the subject line. I'm leaning towards the CZ as I primarily shoot at paper/steel and the heavier CZ appeals to me. However, I've never shot one before and won't have an opportunity to before the deal. I've owned a P229 in 9mm before and loved it. What say you guys? Keep in mind I'm in CA so capacity isn't really a factor.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Have you ever shot any CZ before?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
CZs get good accolades here.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello fellow Californian!

Having owned both of the pistols in question (and all of the CZ and SIG on-roster compact pistols, for that matter), I'll put it this way:

In my opinion, the P01 is roughly equal to the P229, all things considered, but at a lower price. Personally, I don't see much point in getting one, unless if you are just looking to spend money. CZ 75s are good pistols (their newer P series polymer offerings have some shortcomings, IMO), but they aren't Thor's hammer. They are simply good pistols priced competitively against Glocks and Berettas.

As for the P-01 in particular, its frame was wider than I liked. This made gripping the small slide serrations a bit more difficult (CZ compensated in the P01 by making the serrations bow inwards, which works, but leaves a sharp edge along the top of the serrations - your fingers are forced upwards by the wider aluminum frame, whereas the slimmer steel frame CZs do not). The grip area is unaffected in its dimensions, compared to regular CZs.
For what its worth, I ended up selling the P01, since I never warmed up to the ergonomics of the compact CZs. It was also too wide to carry IWB, for my purposes, which left the P01 somewhat orphaned in my usage.

Indeed, I sold nearly all of of my SIGs and CZs. I retained my CZ SP-01 for nightstand duty and my P320, since I still believe in the concept.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The CZ's slide rails are inside the frame rather than outside like the P229. Some say this makes the CZ inherently more accurate. Maybe, but I'm doubtful. It does give you far less gripping surface for racking the slide. I found it difficult to do quickly, under stress, or with gloves. YMMV.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Check the prices on Cz Mags. Only down side in my opinion...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Own both, like both. When new, out of the box I'd prefer the P229's trigger even without an SRT installed. It's rare that a basic production 75B-based CZ has anything close to a glass smooth pull right out of the box, regardless if it's in double or single-action. Factory CZ 75B DA/SA guns tend to have a lot of grit and creep right out the box, and I've found that it takes a not inconsequential amount of ammo and live fire, CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works to even to begin to sort things out, as was the case with my SP-01 Tactical. HOWEVER, if you treat the trigger in a manner that's commiserate with the design intent (as a service pistol and not some sort of bull's-eye target piece), you should be pleasantly surprised as to how easy it is to be accurate with one. In this regard, for me and my muscle skills my SP-01 has an advantage over any of my three P229s.

Ergonomically I also tend to prefer the P229, which if you ever were to see my hands in person would likely be a surprising choice. I don't know what it is about thinner frames but even with my small mitts I gravitate to a bulkier, more substantive feel with any pistol grip. There ARE limits, but with 'normal' size grips that how I be. Must be a carryover from my Glocks, so YMMV. The CZ by no means is a ergonomic disaster, but you did ask for opinions. The one benefit of having small hands and short fingers is that the minimal surface area on a 75 slide doesn't bug me nearly as much as it does to others. It's still smaller than what I would otherwise prefer but for me it doesn't feel overly cramped for space when I'm racking the gun quickly. Again YMMV.

Recoil has never been much of an issue with either gun. One of my favorite SIGs is my 40S&W P229. Its recoil characteristics are easy to control and manage, despite its evilly 'high' bore axis. Roll Eyes Of course with a legit steel frame, the SP-01 in either of its chamberings will be that much lesser of an issue.

Both typically come with tritium 3-dot sights; fine for having night sights but 3-dot has not been a favored config to me for some time. Alternatives seem to be more plentiful for the SIG if you also feels as I do about pistol sights in the 3-dot configuration.

Neither would be a carry for me, concealed or otherwise. Tried doing it with the P229 once years ago, no desire whatsoever to try it again. Too fat, too heavy. The SP-01 may be relatively thin in girth, but it's worse when it comes to the remaining "sabermetrics" (sorry, baseball). Too long, too tall and oh too many ounces to deal with. Again YMMV depending on your body size and tolerance to boat anchors tied to your waist.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

OEM CZ75/85 magazines are $19.99 at CDNN

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Go with the P229 as you know you like it unless you can shoot the SP01 first to compare. I have larger hands and the CZ series does not fit me as well as my SIGs. I am not a fan of the short slide height on CZs either though for a range only gun it is not as much of an issue.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
As soggy correctly points out, the trigger on CZ guns are their Achilles heel. They're truly terrible. And I'm not someone who has been spoiled by custom trigger work because I've never had it done on any of my pistols. I've never felt the need. I'm fine with the stock trigger on my P229. My CZ-75BD on the other hand NEEDS a trigger job desperately and so does every other CZ I've come across.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:

Greg Cote....FAR cheaper than Factory.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have both, but on an uneven playing field....my sp-01 has a CGW trigger job. My experience, though, is that Sigs typically have good triggers out of the box. Holds true for my p220, 229, 239 and 250.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably end up with the Sig.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got both and I like both. Triggers on both can be hit or miss but do get smoother after a bit. I'd be more concerned about which one feels better in your hand.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yep, Thanks. Guess I was thinking on prices for mags for there polymer guns
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

Greg Cote....FAR cheaper than Factory.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
In all honesty,i have posted a lot about the cz shadow 2,and the compact 99021,and product code 99041,but the srt trigger on any sig is hard to beat.

Probably the best out of box production trigger in a combat gun made

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TxRod
posted Hide Post
I would agree with most of this except for the P-series polymer shortcomings. After having shot a number of pistols over the years I decided to start shooting IDPA. I borrowed a lot of friends' guns and ran through drills and decided to land on the P-09 as my competition pistol. I can think of no shortcomings to this pistol; it's accurate, reliable, light and holds 19+1. The trigger is fantastic, smooth and fluid even in DA.

quote:
Originally posted by glow:
Hello fellow Californian!

Having owned both of the pistols in question (and all of the CZ and SIG on-roster compact pistols, for that matter), I'll put it this way:

In my opinion, the P01 is roughly equal to the P229, all things considered, but at a lower price. Personally, I don't see much point in getting one, unless if you are just looking to spend money. CZ 75s are good pistols (their newer P series polymer offerings have some shortcomings, IMO), but they aren't Thor's hammer. They are simply good pistols priced competitively against Glocks and Berettas.

As for the P-01 in particular, its frame was wider than I liked. This made gripping the small slide serrations a bit more difficult (CZ compensated in the P01 by making the serrations bow inwards, which works, but leaves a sharp edge along the top of the serrations - your fingers are forced upwards by the wider aluminum frame, whereas the slimmer steel frame CZs do not). The grip area is unaffected in its dimensions, compared to regular CZs.
For what its worth, I ended up selling the P01, since I never warmed up to the ergonomics of the compact CZs. It was also too wide to carry IWB, for my purposes, which left the P01 somewhat orphaned in my usage.

Indeed, I sold nearly all of of my SIGs and CZs. I retained my CZ SP-01 for nightstand duty and my P320, since I still believe in the concept.

Posts: 488 | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The P01 can be had for about $500. Another $30 worth of CGW springs and some 1000 grit sandpaper and you'll have a pistol that is directly comparable to the P229 in my opinion. After that it's just preference.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a non-rail CZ-75D compact. It's a surplus gun with a steel frame and a decocker, which is kinda uncommon. Most decocker 75 compacts are alloy frame these days.

I also have a P229 from back before they were even available with a rail. It was my duty gun for years, and was originally a .40, but I put a 9mm barsto conversion barrel in it. It also has the SRT.

Pretty much everything said above is true. The Sig is more expensive and the grip is fatter, but the trigger feels more refined. The internals on the Sig seem a bit less complicated than the CZ. The CZ has a slide that is harder to grip and rack, and the trigger feels less refined. I prefer the dococker location on the Sig to that on the CZ, and I like that the sig fully decocks rather than going to half-cock like the CZ (not that there's anything wrong with it...mostly just me being OCD).

That said, I like the contour of the CZ grip better, and for some reason I shoot it better. Its incredibly accurate, and the trigger, while heavy in DA, is smooth and has a very positive reset.

Seeing as the SIG has a lot of sentimental value as my former duty gun, I can't think of any reason that I'd ever give it up. If that was not the case, though, I honestly can't tell you which one I would choose. They are both fantastic firearms, and you're not going to go wrong with either one.

Posts: 8544 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im currently trying to decide something similar as I have a SP-01 and its fine but I was offered a W German 228 and I'm compelled to go with the Sig just because I'm so familiar with the platform and havent picked up one I havent liked. They are both excellent platforms, I think it just comes down ot personal preference.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post