SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trip to Sig Pro Shop - Choosing a P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip to Sig Pro Shop - Choosing a P226 Login/Join 
posted
Have been a member here for a long time but have not yet purchased a Sig pistol. Moved to NH a couple years ago, currently looking for a full-size 9mm, so figure it's about the right time to get into a P226. Here in NH having a Sig almost feels like a requirement.

I was looking for a 9mm 1911 when the Sig bug hit. Although inventory is better these days, most gun stores still manage to not have any of the models I'm interested in. (Drove an hour to a store advertising a big Smith & Wesson sale all month only to find that they don't even carry the vast majority of Smith & Wesson handguns!) But P226's are a little easier to find than 9mm 1911's, and luckily the Sig Pro shop is not too far. They have about every currently offered model for comparison.

I want to give Kudos to the extremely helpful staff. As soon as I walked in I was greeted and the guy spent about a half hour with me looking at the P226 display and answering every question I had about differences between models. (He continued to be helpful, even after I admitted to being a long-time Glock shooter w/no Sigs!).

One model that stood out to me was the P226 SSE / Stainless Elite. As I'm looking for a full sized target gun, the weight of this one was welcome, and I preferred the rosewood grips over all others. I like smooth grips, not "grippy" grips - which is the opposite of what everyone else likes. Also I prefer stainless to any other finish. I already have a bunch of black guns, something different would be nice, with stainless being the ultimate in durability.

Handling the "wall guns," there were a couple with nicer triggers than the SSE. I think the SAO Legion and there was a special Gray (Grey?) Guns model.

I also like the big bright green dot front site on some models. I mistook it for a fiber optic at first, then the salesman corrected me that it's tritium and was very bright even indoors. I think this is what the Legion has.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the SSE until I saw the price - $1345. Sig Pro Shop has fixed pricing, so no discounts. The Legion was a bit less. Online the MSRP's are the same but in the store I think the SSE actually had an MSRP about $100 higher. I decided to see if I could find the SSE cheaper online. The price pretty much everywhere is $1299. After transfer fee I might as well buy it at the Sig Pro Shop.

The Legion on the other hand, Shooters in Hooksett has them for under $1200, maybe $1175? I forget, but maybe ~$100 cheaper than the Pro Shop. But I've never seen an SSE at any other store.

So at this point I'm a little stuck. Legion seems like it has a couple nice features (sights, shorter beaver tail, probably better trigger). But aesthetics, finish, grips, larger controls, weight are better on the SSE. Just had no idea they were so pricey.

Any feedback / input? Is SSE worth it? I have a lot of other options at this price. Starting to think about (non-Sig) 1911's again.

Posts: 28 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I've seen legions as low as $1000. Buy online you get much more bang for your buck.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696557220

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, life's too short to waste looking to save 50 or 100 bucks. Go back and get the SSE, and shoot the hell out of it.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I've seen legions as low as $1000. Buy online you get much more bang for your buck.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696557220

^^^This^^^^

That seller is a forum member, although I haven't seen them post in a while. I bought my second Legion from them with no issues.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 dan wessons from him. Twogunjay is good to go.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still leaning toward the stainless.
I will have to keep an eye out online I guess. Never bought from Gunbroker before. I try to buy local when I can. Have had mixed experiences w/FFL's in the past. They are typically not too thrilled about transferring an online purchase.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedzola:
Still leaning toward the stainless.
I will have to keep an eye out online I guess. Never bought from Gunbroker before. I try to buy local when I can. Have had mixed experiences w/FFL's in the past. They are typically not too thrilled about transferring an online purchase.

Those FFL's will be out of business in the next 5-10 years. Find a good table top FFL to handle your purchases. I probably save $1000-1500 a year buying online.

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Take a look at KTP. Pretty sure they had the SSE there when I was in a few weeks ago.

FWIW, I think the Legion is a better gun.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love both guns. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Legion SAO.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
If you want the stainless go get it. You said the price was good and they took care of you.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All P226s are great! I have two old ones and a Legion. I do not like accessory rail but in the case of the Legion it is fogiven. Don't mess around wasting gas driving and expending energy which will cost you more than the 25-100 you hope to save. Get the one you want and enjoy the heck out of it the rest of your life!

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I got my 226 from the Pro Shop as a souvenir of a trip there. Sure I could have saved some bucks buying elsewhere as I needed to get an ffl transfer anyway, but I was the first person to touch it after the assembly line- the fellow let me take it out of the box to clear it before paperwork.

It's pretty cool handling a newborn Sig knowing it's your hands touching it first...
Yeah, I'm silly like that.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Just my $0.02, and I know the Legions are all the rage, if you like the Stainless Elite get it. My Stainless Elite 229 would be the last Sig I'd ever part with.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the input. A big LGS (shooters) has a sale this weekend so I am going to check it out. They say a Sig rep will be there with discounts so maybe I can make up my mind if there is a good deal.

To those saying just go back to the pro shop and get the Stainless elite - I am willing to pay a premium for a nice gun but when I look at my alternatives its tough to justify. If the Elite were $1100 i would have walked out with it. For $1350 I'm starting to think of 2 Inox Berettas or a Dan Wesson 1911.

I still want a p226. Will see if anything at this sale Saturday can help me decide.

posted Hide Post
I love my SSE 226. It is one of the last guns I would part with out of my collection. I love the weight of the stainless frame. I have added a few gray gun parts to it and it has one of the smoothest triggers that I have ever fired.

If you keep your eyes open you can find one at a fair price. I was able to find one well below the $1,000 price point about two years ago from an online retailer. Just keep your eyes open and have your money ready.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post

I've had a plain Jane 226 for years & it's always been a favorite, but a few months ago I got this Legion 226 SAO & love it. It's a completely different animal.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post