SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Not to derail ARC's failure thread- P226 Legion with a broken extractor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not to derail ARC's failure thread- P226 Legion with a broken extractor Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
We often hear people poo-poo MIM extractors, particularly the dreaded long extractor that some people seem to have heartburn with in a P Series pistol.

A good friend and student of mine sent me the following pictures.

Total round count on the gun is about 11,000 rounds. The extractor chipped on top but continued to function. He was taking a class from Ernie when he noticed it. He switched out to his back up P226 and finished out the class.

The interesting thing about this is the fact that we hear about how horrible MIM parts are, but this is only the second long MIM extractor that I have seen break since their introduction. And the other was posted by the late great Todd Louis Green right after SIG rolled out the long extractor.

Stuff breaks. If you are a devoted training junkie, have an identical gun that is set up like your primary. Doesn't matter if they are MIM or machined, they break.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't have considered that a derailment, because I'm busy making a larger point about how often actual failures occur, what reliability is, and what role a shooter has in this mix.

Indeed, stuff breaks. If you shoot, or certainly if you compete with almost any gun, you're going to bring small parts with you.

MIM simply doesn't deserve all the bugaboo. These things rage on while most of us move on, just like cast/forged, 9mm/.45 and other things that only fetishists stay worried about.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Very much agreed!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If it's not hand forged with hammer and tong over a coal fire, then it might as well be plastic.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great that it continued to function! 11K rounds is pretty serious. I've been shooting my 226's in uspsa and have really come to appreciate again just how great the 226/229 is. I have 1 229 and 4 226's, plus a 226x5 and have had zero malfunctions with any of them through thousands of rounds. They are great pistols.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
If it's not hand forged with hammer and tong over a coal fire, then it might as well be plastic.

I watched 2 dealers damn near get in a fist fight over whether or not a Garand part was cast or forged,

between the yelling, they would pick the part up and drop it on the floor, the 'ting' supposedly meant it was cast to one guy, forged to the other,

this was when the show was open to the public,

it was very entertaining,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post