SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P 220 Discharge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P 220 Discharge Login/Join 
posted
Firing my P220 Compact, this afternoon. After an uneventful box of FMJ white box Winchesters, I loaded some old, Federal .45 hollow points. Upon discharge, approximately four of the twenty-some Federal rounds produced noticeable sparks and I felt gas/powder particles strike my cheek and forehead. Fortunately, I was wearing glasses. The pistol was clean, before my shooting session began and I found nothing unusual when inspecting it, afterward. The experience was unpleasant. I would not want it to occur in a self defense situation. What would likely cause this "back blast" in a semi auto?

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Check the recoil spring for damage or coil binding?

Does the brass show any physical damage or ruptures?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Definitely sounds like an ammo issue, not the gun...do you know how the older ammo was stored, and is there a possibility is was somehow contaminated?

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:
I would not want it to occur in a self defense situation.

As mentioned, check the gun, but my first suspicion would be that the ammunition is responsible. Recommendation? Try something new and different.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doveryai,
no proveryai.
Picture of SIG_P226
posted Hide Post
Got a feeling that you know the old ammo was the problem. Blow back like you described requires bullet not cleared from the muzzle while breech / ejection open, the case at the time was also backed away from barrel.
My guess would be the old bullet has corrosion or not clean, it could have stuck inside and caused bigger problem. Think along line the machinic step, you will know.
You did mention P220 had no issue with that white box of ammo, therefore, to fill your wish of "not wanting it to occur in a self defense situation", all you need to do is to practice regularly and cycle your ammo - keep fresh ammo in your weapon.

.)))*"((((((( *¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*
>>> o <<<
.\___~___/
Get some, then get some more ... ST10
Success in handgun marksmanship is about operating the pistol, not hitting the target. - Bruce Gray
Knowledge is power, ONLY when you share it. - Me
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3662 | Location: Cop Land | Registered: September 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These were some old, Hydra Shok rounds stored in the bottom of an ammo drawer for probably 8--10 years. Aside from tarnish on their jackets, the rounds looked normal. I'll go with the trend and blame the ammo. I did not attempt to retrieve the brass, lost on my muddy range. I've experienced this with revolvers, but never a semi auto. Your answers make good sense. Thanks, all.

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I had some Federal "Ultra Target and Range" 9mm 115gr ammo that was shooting sparks. It was fairly new, less than 1 year old, fired in my 2 P365s

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you tell if your sparks occurred at the ejection port or from the muzzle? Mine seemed right in front of my face and the particles were hot. I'm sure the whole mess had blown back from the breech. I think corrosion was my culprit.

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
I picked up a case of Federal Gold Medal .45 semi wad cutters for bullseye. I'm getting a lot of trash out of the combustion, similar to what you're explaining, including some crusty metal-looking flakes on my hands. It's just the ammo.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not attempt to retrieve the brass, lost on my muddy range

Too bad. The only time I ever had anything like that was with badly burnt through cases.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post