SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P226, stainless or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P226, stainless or not? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I have my eye on two different Sig P226's

one has a Stainless Steel frame and sells for $750
the other has a Hard Anodized frame and is $600

is the stainless steel worth that $150?

I look forward to reading what you have to say -- thanks

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a stainless Elite, it was a nice gun but I like the alloy frame better for carrying and my friends that shoot my guns prefer the lighter frames.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong, it's just personal preference. I had both, but the one I actually carried full time for several years was the alloy frame version. Big difference in weight.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, it all depends on what your purpose is for the gun.

Also, condition plays into value.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I'm happier with an alloy-framed 9mm and a steel-framed 357SIG. As always, YMMV. Having said that, if you like a steel-framed 9mm, get it - it should be a very soft shooter no matter what kind of ammo you load in it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's a Stainless Nitron frame, I say get that one...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
If you intend to use it for competition, a stainless 226 makes a pretty nice choice. I had a few people try to sway me to look for a 226 Stainless Elite when I was thinking about an X-5 Allround, including Bruce Gray. It's got the weight in the frame to absorb recoil, but not as much out front to make transitions a little easier. I opted for the X-5 at the time, mainly because I really wanted one.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy, get both! Razz

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carry - aluminum

Range - stainless

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference is the stainless for carry or for the range. The extra weight does not feel all that much to me, but then I'm used to carrying extra weight if you know what I mean. The Stainless Elite sure is pretty to look at as well as shoot. Always wanted one and finally got one last year. Very pleased with it.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stainless Elite is my favorite P-226, even over an X5. I may go shoot it tomorrow. Range gun, however. Alloy P-226 bedside gun with night sights and a rail light. SSE has an adjustable rear and fat front site for a range gun.
Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've always preferred the older model alloy frame P226 with the folded slide. But I don't burn through ammo by the case.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post