SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grip Screw O-Ring Info For Your Consideration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grip Screw O-Ring Info For Your Consideration Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Putting wooden grips on my P220 Carry SAO, I was concerned with the toothed washers that came with the standard grip screws. The points of the washers would dig into the wood, when the screw was tightened sufficiently to prevent grip panel shifting in use. I feared the toothed washers would start cracks in the thin wood. I found that the #36 o-ring fits well, in place of the toothed washer. It is 5/16 OD, 3/16 ID, and 1/16 cross-section diameter. 10-packs are available at HD and Lowes for $2.59. I snugged up the grips with the o-rings underneath each screw, and all the screw slots are now pointing at 12 and 6 o'clock as they should be. All the same direction. No, I am not OCD. I am CDO...the letters are supposed to be in alphabetical order!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I've been using the o rings for years. Works great and helps prevent the screws from coming loose. I believe VZ grips will sell them to you for more than HD if you want a more expensive option!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep. One of the first things I learned for this forum a few years back.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You still use slotted grip screws??? I couldn't handle that. Use the hex-head, so much easier to get them to align!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'd been wondering what size to look for.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've used this technique for sometime. It really does work well. Use a little lube on the O-rings before torquing down. That will prevent the rings from squishing out beneath the fastener head.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use #60 rubber O rings on all my Sigs.

Posts: 59 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I recently bought some from Wilson Combat.

I am going to buy the pack you recommend, for the rest of my handguns.

Thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aluminum grips are not compressed with just screws and stay tight with o rings. I experienced this on both Sigs and CZs. Also solved the problem of a loose barrel screw on a S&W Victory .22.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.oringsusa.com/catalog/index.php

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Picked some up today at Lowes, in the Plumbing isle. Box marked just as described above.

That was easy and inexpensive.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Whats funny? I pulled the O-rings out of an old phone box and they fit the aluminum grips just fine. Big Grin

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not everyone is old enough to have an old phone box...just sayin'.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Not everyone is old enough to have an old phone box...just sayin'.

The grey plastic box they came out with around 2008 to current has them. The part with the O-rings has to be discarded if high speed internet is to be installed.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah, my apologies. I'm a flip phoner, and I thought you were talking about the cradles in the old handsets that replaced the candlestick-type telephones.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Ah, my apologies. I'm a flip phoner, and I thought you were talking about the cradles in the old handsets that replaced the candlestick-type telephones.

Thats fine. Probably easier to find the O-rings at Lowes than it is to pull something off of the side of your neighbors house...

Picture of Texagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
You still use slotted grip screws??? I couldn't handle that. Use the hex-head, so much easier to get them to align!

Have you ever tried to get the grips off in the field without having a hex wrench with you? There are no hex screws on my guns.

Posts: 333 | Location: North Texas | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post