SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 45 MOS or have slide milled?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 45 MOS or have slide milled? Login/Join 
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted
I own a Glock 45 and I want to mount a red dot on it. Should I send my slide off to ATEI and have the slide cut? Or should I just buy a G45 MOS? I've read where people prefer to have it cut--especially ATEI--since it will fit much better than mounted on a factory MOS. Looking for advice.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One option would be to buy a G19 Gen 5 MOS slide ... about $400. That would let you use/try any of several RDS. Then have the original slide milled for the RDS of choice. Just a thought.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Do the Agency Arms AOS system - best system I’ve seen. I’m saving up to have them do my duty weapon. It’s s better result than the MOS system.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one of each of the gen5 MOS guns and carry a 45 mos daily

I like it...and I like being able to change rmrs if one I like better shows up

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Definitely buy the MOS, milling the slide limits your resale potential. YMMV

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to use the pistol much at all, resale value will be gone anyway, especially a Glock which isn't worth much to begin with. Holster wear, scratched frame, dime a dozen pistols...used Glocks aren't really much of an investment.

Primary Machine (dot com), will machine your slide to a specific optic (send the optic with the slide). Less expensive than buying a new slide. Custom, precise fit.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Trade it in on a new Gen5 MOS, gives you options
or sell the old one and buy a new one...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
If you're going to use the pistol much at all, resale value will be gone anyway, especially a Glock which isn't worth much to begin with. Holster wear, scratched frame, dime a dozen pistols...used Glocks aren't really much of an investment.

Primary Machine (dot com), will machine your slide to a specific optic (send the optic with the slide). Less expensive than buying a new slide. Custom, precise fit.

I did exactly this, and I really couldn't be happier.

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot grasp the idea of milling your slide to a specific optic. Yup they are pretty reliable but they do fail. When one of my RMR's went down I sent it in and clearly got a different one back. So then what? do you have to modify your slide, have it remilled, welded and remilled? Fitted? Or what about if you want to upgrade in the future like for example the new Trijicon SRO, fits RMR footprint but obviously isn't the one you sent in to be milled. At least for Trijicon this seems totally wrong. They designed a mounting system that doesn't depend on precisely controlling the size of the actual optic, so if you mill to the mounting system it will be fine.
To the OP's original question, if you know what you want in an optic from experience milling will be cheaper, if you don't then I would get one of the non optic specific systems.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
So then what? do you have to modify your slide, have it remilled, welded and remilled? Fitted?

Put on the same type optic.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I cannot grasp the idea of milling your slide to a specific optic. Yup they are pretty reliable but they do fail. When one of my RMR's went down I sent it in and clearly got a different one back. So then what? do you have to modify your slide, have it remilled, welded and remilled? Fitted? Or what about if you want to upgrade in the future like for example the new Trijicon SRO, fits RMR footprint but obviously isn't the one you sent in to be milled. At least for Trijicon this seems totally wrong. They designed a mounting system that doesn't depend on precisely controlling the size of the actual optic, so if you mill to the mounting system it will be fine.
To the OP's original question, if you know what you want in an optic from experience milling will be cheaper, if you don't then I would get one of the non optic specific systems.

Many of these companies don't mill to the individual exact optic. They just mill to known dimensions. Jagerwerks for example, you don't send them your optic, you just pay for the milling services you want for whatever optic you have and mount it up yourself when the slide comes back. Primary Arms requires the optic before they'll do the work. Both are top quality.

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I have my optic already--a Trijicon SRO. But I think I'm going to sell my G45 and get the MOS.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thinking about resale value on a $500 plastic fantastic means you likely don't shoot it enough to warrant any modifications.

I would mill it out if I already had a Glock I wanted to use a RDS/RMR on.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
Thanks for the replies! I have my optic already--a Trijicon SRO. But I think I'm going to sell my G45 and get the MOS.

That is exactly what I did, somebody offer to buy my G45 and after selling it I looked for a G17 MOS, thet are kind of pricey for a Glock but found a decent deal. I also consider the SRO but I went with the RMR as I intend to be used somewhat under harsh conditions, I'm very excited to put everything together and start training with this set up.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider buying the MOS pistol. Right now Glock has a Blue Label" sale going on, extending first responder pricing to veterans. If you qualify, a 45 MOS may not cost much more than the slide referenced earlier.

EDIT-I just checked. Blue Label for the MOS is 478 or so.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I already had it I'd mill it but if not or if I just wanted to buy a new gun I don't mind the MOS system.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put on the same type optic.

That may not be one of your options if you have it milled for a specific one. That's the point of my earlier post.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
That’s why I like the AOS system from Agency Arms. It’s a plate system that can adapt to different optics, yet sits low like a standard slide cut.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post