SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opions / Thoughts on P229C in 9mm.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opions / Thoughts on P229C in 9mm. Login/Join 
Picture of UDDwaine
posted
I have a P226 ST in 9mm, and a regular P226 in .40...

A local store has the P226C in 9mm. It feels different in the hand than my other 226s, but it seems like a good carry option.

Anyone carry one of these on a regular basis? Or own one?

Thanks...

Posts: 424 | Registered: February 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UDDwaine:
Opions / Thoughts on P229C in 9mm.

A local store has the P226C in 9mm. It feels different in the hand than my other 226s, but it seems like a good carry option.

Thanks...

FYI,, your title says "229" but your thread says "226".

Any of the larger framed Classic P series handle the 9mm with much softer recoil pulse to your hands. I've sold mine off some time ago but if I remember correctly (?) there is a very slight difference between the P226 .40s&w/.357sig frame and the 9mm frame (aside from loaded weight) which may account for the difference you're sensing.

Another thought, does the one you're looking at have the E2 polymer grips w/o fasteners?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UDDwaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:
Originally posted by UDDwaine:
Opions / Thoughts on P229C in 9mm.

Thanks...

FYI,, your title says "229" but your thread says "226".

Any of the larger framed Classic P series handle the 9mm with much softer recoil pulse to your hands. I've sold mine off some time ago but if I remember correctly (?) there is a very slight difference between the P226 .40s&w/.357sig frame and the 9mm frame (aside from loaded weight) which may account for the difference you're sensing.

Another thought, does the one you're looking at have the E2 polymer grips w/o fasteners?

You are correct. For some reason I missed that in my own mind.

It was a 229C vs. the 226 which does explain a lot... :-)

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've got fat fingers also. Wink The P229 is an excellent choice. I liked mine better than the P226 pistols.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I had a 226 9mm and early 229 9mm as duty weapons. I shot both well but preferred the 229.

The shorter 229 was easier to wear on the gunbelt because the holster didn't jam into my side as much as the 226, when getting in the cruiser. It was also easier to conceal off duty.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UDDwaine
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments / experiences. The local Gander Mountain had one in stock and with their sale it was 30% off, so I picked it up this morning.

Hope to get to the range this weekend or next week to give it a test.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I own a P229C. I like the smaller frame it makes it a little easier to conceal. I like the fact it does not have a rail on it and comes with 15 round magazines.
It feels like it shoots softer than my P229 and I am very happy with it.
I have been thinking of trying it for an IDPA match but I do not want to give up my P226 that I do very well with.
This gun has now become my every day carry over my P229.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I have a 229c on my hip in a Milt Sparks Versa Max. Mine is in .357 SIG.

It conceals well, though to be fair I think I could conceal a rain barrel, carries easy and offers a serious measure of comfort.

I moved to the carry from a 229 .40 and I like the 229 carry better.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the P229C you're taking one size down in grip length and two sizes down in slide length from the P226. So I'd say it'll feel considerably different.

As someone above pointed out, it's basically a P224 with the grip height (and capacity) of a P229. The discontinued P224 did have some issues it seems, but mostly with .40. I believe it was Bruce Gray that said it was oversprung, which can make for timing issues and cause failures to feed. The 9mm didn't seem to suffer the same, as it wouldn't need as stiff of a recoil spring.

All that said, I have not owned or shot either a P224 or P229C, but I do carry a regular P229 in .40 daily. I love it, but do hope to replace it with a P320 Carry, as it's basically the same size, has higher capacity, is lighter, and a consistent striker fired pull as opposed to the DA/SA. I learned to shoot the DA quite well, and I will miss the comfort of having my thumb on the hammer when I holster, but it's a trade I'm willing to make.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post