SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How important are BUIS on an RMR pistol?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How important are BUIS on an RMR pistol? Login/Join 
posted
I'm in the early stages of exploring pistol optics and am looking for opinions on the set up. From what I've read, the Glock MOS system is probably the most "universal" with the Trijicon RMR and Leupold DPP being the most solid optics. The DPP has the rear iron sight option built in, but requires a suppressor height front. RMR requires both sights to be replaced.

Is the iron sight back up really necessary, or does the window of the RMR provide sufficient "ghost ring" alignment to function in a pinch?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
The window of the sight will allow for coarse aiming at close range only, at distance it’s virtually useless. If this is a serious use pistol, back up irons are a necessity. If it’s only going to be a range toy, then you may okay without them.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
At 1-5 yards you can probably point shoot and get hits on target. Past that with no back up sights you are probably shit out of luck if your dot goes down.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I agree with what they say. I'm a neophyte at this whole red dot thing, but I've decided to plunk down my money and play.

I started with red dot (vortex venom) on a Ruger 22/45. I couldn't see the irons at all. I got used to the red dot and decided I liked it enough to try the concept on a 9mm.

I bought a FN 509 tac and put a Trijicon RMR on it. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the iron sights taking up space on an already small window. Sitting in my basement looking through the window, I really felt like the irons blocked way too much of the window.

When I took it out and started shooting steel, I really didn't notice blockage at all. What I did find mildly annoying was the white dot on the front sight. For the most part I focused on the red dot, but I would find myself noticing and thus being slightly distracted by the whit front post dot.

Fast forward in time, I got rid of the 509 Tac, but now I have a G19 MOS and a G40 MOS. Both have Trijicon RMR's on them. I replaced the factory irons with Dawson Precision all black sights that are specific to the MOS series.

While they block a good bit of the window, they don't bother me when shooting at all. I am very happy with this setup and would recommend it for the MOS series of guns.

As an aside, if I turn the dot off, shooting much beyond 5 yards gets dicy if I can't see the irons. I don't find the ghost ring idea really to be of much help. It's basically point shooting.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you plan on using the dot gun for. Mine are basically gamer guns and training aids... I found that iron sights and a dot was more visual confusion than I cared to deal with, hence I don't run irons on my pistols with a dot... but then I also do not carry them or ever plan to have to use them outside of the square range context.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with what tha1000 says. If it's a serious gun use serius sights. RMR's are just for fun.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
If you are planning to carry this pistol as your CCW, I would definitely have tall suppressor iron sights on it, if not I would not worry about it.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
The window of the sight will allow for coarse aiming at close range

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
At 1-5 yards you can probably point shoot and get hits on target.

My second to last match I lost my dot on a 5 yard target that was a bit low, a bit on angle, but big enough. I thought I was close enough to get good hits just looking through the window. Three mikes/no shoots later my match placement was done with after a first stage. I work on my dot index almost daily, since June I think.

I've functional backup front sights on all my carry guns with optics. I'd less conventional approach to backup rear sights but I accept that as a compromise.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't carry any gun with a red dot optic without backup iron sights pistol or rifle.
Even if its a 100% a gaming gun if you are even modestly serious about competing you will have a set of workable irons on the gun. There are simply common enough circumstances where even if the dot is online having the irons helps. The irons do not bother me in the slightest in terms of the window space, they just aren't a factor.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Even if its a 100% a gaming gun if you are even modestly serious about competing you will have a set of workable irons on the gun.

Around here everyone who's modestly, or above modestly, serious about competing uses a Deltapoint. Getting workable irons for that thing, especially if attached through an adapter plate, is an interesting proposition.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
How important are BUIS on an RMR pistol?

Depends what the pistol is used for.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet my life on the Aimpoint H1 on my AR w/o any BUIS (my ACOG as well)...I don't think the RMR or Deltapoint on a HG slide is quite there yet.

I'm with the consensus; irons along with the RMR for serious use, range or game gun, maybe not that critical.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I used them on my Glock. Ameriglo plain black both front and back sights, so no contrasting conflict with the RMR's 6.5MOA dot. Works well for me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I was thinking of doing those plain black Ameriglos for the reason you stated.

I think the RM06 is my top contender.

Now, to MOS or mill?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

Even if its a 100% a gaming gun if you are even modestly serious about competing you will have a set of workable irons on the gun.

- Said no open shooter, ever

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
As my eyes age, I find a red dot to be more beneficial than plain iron sights. I'm faster and more accurate with a red dot.
On a competition gun, I don't care if there are no backup irons.
However, I would not have a red dot on a carry gun without iron sights as a backup.

My Walther PPS M2 RMSC.
The iron sights are still usable but are low enough that they do not bother me while shooting using the red dot.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an X-Carry with a Romeo 1...

I do not use any special iron sights...

If you line up the notch in the Romeo 1 with the stock front blade the point of impact will be just over the center of the window...

I considered changing to a Dawson front blade for co-witness, but decided I really didn't need it...

Posts: 3 | Registered: December 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think the RM06 is my top contender.

Now, to MOS or mill?

Seems like you're committed to a specific optic. I'd go with a direct milling. If I wanted to have an adapter plate system, I'd probably go with an aftermarket option over MOS.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Said no open shooter, ever

That's funny. When you see top open guys running MOS glocks let me know. If the rules let you run a frame mounted optic I'm pretty sure that's what I would run.
I've shot a lot of matches under various rules disciplines and I've found that having irons is a real advantage sometimes. Especially in low light or odd light. It's a pretty cheap option in the scheme of things and if your optic setup let's you have them I can't see any downside.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Said no open shooter, ever

That's funny. When you see top open guys running MOS glocks let me know. If the rules let you run a frame mounted optic I'm pretty sure that's what I would run.
I've shot a lot of matches under various rules disciplines and I've found that having irons is a real advantage sometimes. Especially in low light or odd light. It's a pretty cheap option in the scheme of things and if your optic setup let's you have them I can't see any downside.

Top open guy, reigning two time carry optics champ...