SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 Owners, step in and let's talk
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 Owners, step in and let's talk Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
When we transitioned from the SW 4043 to the Sig 229 about a decade ago, the p239 replaced the 3953 as our approved off duty / plainclothes weapon. I bought and sold 3 over the first 5 years they were authorized. I didn't like the way the grip felt. I didn't like the trigger as much as my well worn 3953. It wasn't really much smaller than the 229.

Then I tried Hogue G10 grips.

I've had my current 239 with G10 for about 5 years now. That one change (well, that and shooting a 239 DAK enough to actually break the trigger in nicely) changed it from a gun I didn't like very much at all to a gun I like very much. I've got spare parts and a stack of magazines still in the box. I won't say it's my FAVORITE pistol, but it's what I tend to carry when I travel places that I need to carry based on my badge rather than my permit.

It's a perfectly reliable, easy to conceal, easy to shoot handgun in a capable caliber (mine is .40). What's not to like? Yeah, the capacity is a little low. I carry two spare mags instead of one. They're flat and don't take up much space.

S&W 3953 is a keeper. It’s one of the few 3rd gens I’ve got left.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by FWP:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’ve got one in .40. Never carried it but it is a cool little gun. I wish I had one in 9mm.

I have a Barstow 9mm barrel for mine. You would need mags and a recoil spring and then you could enjoy all that cheap 9mm ammo out there.

So far, mine has worked just fine shooting 9mm w/ the .40 mags and recoil spring. That reminds me, I need to do that some more.

Thanks for the info. I'll try mine with the 40 spring and mags.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm probably repeating myself.. but:

I have three... one is 9mm SA/DA and two are 357 sig DAKs..

What I want to do is get another 9mm SA/DA and then switch out the trigger group with one of the 357s So that I have the both 9mm and 357 sig in both types of triggers.

357 sig is a serious round to shoot in a P239 and I'd like to get more shooting time with 9mm... easier on both me and my wallet.

The interesting thing is last night I went to Gunbroker and did a search for Sig Sauer p239 and just about all that came up we're 40 and 357 calibers.... Every LEO organization in the U.S. must have dumped them.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I have a 239 and a 229 both in 9mm. I carry the 239 in summer and 229 in winter. You need to ware more clothing in winter in Michigan. Smile I like both guns and shoot both about the same, although I am not claiming to be a great shot. I do not like and will never own a striker fired gun, and I like that the 239 is heaver than the plastic guns. I'm 71 years old and my wrists do not like the muzzle flip of small, light guns. I can't see myself ever selling either of these fine guns.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's an interesting gun -- one I will say :

the 'appeal' is higher than the sum of it's parts

very accurate also

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
when my issue was a 226 in .40, I bought a 239 in .40 and wore it in a vest holster. Darned gun is really accurate. Now, it languishes in the safe.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
I've always been a 3rd Generation S&W Fan.....Here are my Twin 3913's....Long gone but dear to my heart. I just liked the 239's more.....Zebulon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Zebulon,

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, the guns points so easily and naturally that I trust using it immensely. When I first took my 9mm model to the range, I was a little skeptical of the narrow grips and my large-ish hands. With careful sighting, at 25 yards, my first round was 0" high, and 2" to the right. I was shocked. This was with no trigger work and before I had completed any OpSpec training classes.

I shot about 100 rounds from 25 yards. Left hand, right hand, anyway I tried, it was as though there was a magnet on the target generally pulling the barrel towards center. This was mid-week at the range, and the only other person on the line was an off duty LEO. He was using a Glock 26 and having problems. I told the LEO that this was the first time I shot the P239, and he was shocked at how easy it was for me to shoot accurately.

This leads me to believe that natural pointing of a pistol is very important, and often underestimated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P239 SAS Gen 2 in 357 with a Barstow 9mm barrel.

What I like:
- 100% Reliable
- Single stack
- DA/SA
- Caliber choices
- Concealability
- Overall size
- Versatility/capability - protection from 2 & 4 leg threats

What I do not like:
- Slide Rattle
- Last round slide will no longer hold open, maintenance item I need to fix...
- No rail - light mount would add versatility

I have more holster and carry options for this pistol than any other because it fits so many roles. It does everything I need a pistol to do except pocket carry.

My three favorite carry modes are:
- IWB in a prototype Big River Leather tuckable holster for more formal dress. This thing is SWEET!
- IWB in TT Gunleather Mike's Special with matching mag & light carrier for daily wear.
- Survival Sheath Kydex chest holster with spare mag pouch for outdoors work.

I use the chest holster around the farm and in the wood lot. It keeps the pistol off my hip and allows more flexibility and free range of arm motion (vs. shoulder carry) for hard manual labor. It also conceals well under bib overalls, a jacket or a sweatshirt, should I venture into town for lunch or supplies. Also works great from a seated position. It is not good if you are trying to conceal from huggers.
Wink Unfortunately, this rig is not well suited for the Texas climate, so I use it very little since moving here in 2015 relying more on pocket carry P938.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: burnetma,

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the 239 chambered in .357. A P232 was my first Sig and the best feel and fit in my hand of any pistol I've found, but I wanted something more than a .380. When looking around I saw a P239. It felt good in my hand and the versatility of changing barrels was very appealing and it was not all that much larger than the 232. I found that it conceals very, very well in a IWB silent thunder fusion so it combines concealability with a large caliber. It's the only ccw pistol I carry now.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I haven't carried one in years. There's an abundance of better choices for carry but there's an elegance about it that transcends its shortcomings. It's just a satisfying pistol to shoot and handle.

I agree with this! i used to carry the 239 or a 228. Now I carrry either a 320 xcompact or 320 xcarry.

Its still viable...just not ideal!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a NIB P239 Scorpion locally for $539, but it's in . 357SIG.

A 9mm P239 and Beretta 92FS Compact Type M are on my 'short list'.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I picked up a lightly used 239 SAS in 9 and hard a hard time getting consistent grouping. I changed the grips out and now it is literally an extension of my arm. I can consistently shoot tight groups and I don’t consider myself a particularly good shot.

Therefore I do carry it regularly and only take my 226 when I feel I want more firepower..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Single Stack is the primary factor. I find that the P239 with a Hogue wrap around fits my hand perfectly. Also have a Hogue wrap around on my P229 and that grip is large enough I need to sort of side saddle the grip. Fact is that my P229 doesn't get shot much because it's just easier for me to hit well with a single stack. It's also why my favorite range pistol is a 1911 and a close second is a revolver.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I just ordered G10s for my new to me P239! I shoot the P239 as well as my P229 and I believe it will conceal a little better. Also ordered an IWB kydex holster too so I hope to have some results soon...

I have been carrying an LCP II but had a dream where I couldn't draw it very well and shooting at a distance was not working, so new grips and kydex holster is the result.

quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:
P239 is my EDC, appendix position in a FIST IWB holster. Everybody likes Hogue rugger grips on the P239, but not me...I installed a set of checkered G10s.

Consistent controls and DA/SA trigger with my P226s made me proficient with it quickly. It fit the box and scale for the original IDPA BUG division, and I made expert in that division first. The 2017 rulebook changed the box and weight, now it is CCP, but I'm still competitive with it.

You may not shoot it as fast as a P226 or P229, but it's thinner and conceals well and does shoot accurately. I ran an NRA Basic Pistol course early in 2019 for 3-4 club members who wanted to become instructors (must take it before you can get certified to teach it). The instructor qualification target is an 8" circle at 15yds, 20 rounds, and the qualification requires at least 16 rounds in a group under 6". The candidates had all kinds of excuses why they weren't making the qualification... "I'm tired, it's been a long 8-hr day", "I'm shooting my carry gun, not a full-size", etc. I pulled out my P239 and shot a 3-3.5" group after being on my feet all day teaching. I can do it one-handed as well. Prep the trigger and break the shot, just like my P226.

Great gun!!

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought another P239 last year in .357 Sig, and have 9mm and .40 barrels, too. I carried the P239 constantly for a few years; I like it because it's flat and comfortable and easy to shoot, and reliable. I ended up picking up a bunch of magazines.

I like it with and without the Hogue finger grip, and I have hogue checkered G10 grips for the P239, as well. As a handgun, it's a bit dated, but still very viable. I have one I'm thinking of sending to Grayguns at some point, and CCR for refinishing. It's a bit worn from carry, but as good as when new.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Or rather, I want to listen (read).

<snip>

But, I want to know. For those of you that were the cult following dudes (and dudettes), what was it that drove you to the P239, and then made you stay? Do you still carry it today?

The question unanswered is it still a viable carry choice in 2020, given all the other smaller, lighter, higher capacity guns?

<snip>

The P239 was my first Sig. One was lent me for my first CPL class; a 9mm DAK. It had been decades since last I had fired anything, let alone a pistol. Shot the center outta the bull's eye with the very first try, prompting the instructor to ask if I wanted to go home early Wink

Fell in love with it. After that class, absolutely had to have one - fortunately, through SF, a Gen 1 SAS, DAK in 9mm was located. It weren't cheap, but had never ever used a pistol that worked so well for me. Have only about 40% use of my dominant/right hand and the single stack just works for me. The long take-up of the DAK also allows me to use my bad hand with confidence.

This is for SD, so I did not necessarily need "high speed," but I sure did want something I had total trust and confidence in using and being able to be on-target in what must be a very high-stress situation. The second shot would be if needed and surely there would be enough time for that?

Yes, if only the specs are considered it would not tell the entire story. Yes, it is not "light," but that might well be what is helping folks shoot it so well.

It's my very first and very favorite Sig. When it is in my hand or on my belt, it is my old and trusted friend Smile

Yes, it is still viable. Is super high capacity the be-all, end-all? I dunno. I can carry an extra mag or even two, if I feel that is needed.

How many rounds is one going to fire in a SD situation?

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I can't remember exactly where the discussion was but today I did the test:

I put a 9mm barrel in my P239 sig designed for 357/40... kept the original slide and recoil spring with rod and even used the 357 magazines..... 9mm functioned perfectly.... tried the 9mm mag and it worked too.

I then started thinking and put a 9mm barrel in my P226 Legion 357 and guess what? No problems at all... shot fine with the 357 recoil spring and slide using the 357 magazines....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, here is an update... Both of my P239s in 357 Sig had a DAK Trigger and the 9mm I had is a SA/DA and I really wanted one of the 357 to have the basic SA/DA trigger... So.... yesterday afternoon I got a wild hair and decided to break two of the pistols down completely.......now that is a lesson in discipline? Lord what a chore..... I almost got it all done... until:

Got the DAK on the 9mm and was working on putting the Locking Insert back in and went to install the trigger bar spring and the dern thing slipped and shot across the room and landed in a place that I'm just not willing to look through for it.... easier to order a new one from Brownells....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just not willing to look through for it.... easier to order a new one from Brownells....

Would a small magnet help in any way?

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post