SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 Owners, step in and let's talk
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 Owners, step in and let's talk Login/Join 
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
P239 is my EDC, appendix position in a FIST IWB holster. Everybody likes Hogue rugger grips on the P239, but not me...I installed a set of checkered G10s.

Consistent controls and DA/SA trigger with my P226s made me proficient with it quickly. It fit the box and scale for the original IDPA BUG division, and I made expert in that division first. The 2017 rulebook changed the box and weight, now it is CCP, but I'm still competitive with it.

You may not shoot it as fast as a P226 or P229, but it's thinner and conceals well and does shoot accurately. I ran an NRA Basic Pistol course early in 2019 for 3-4 club members who wanted to become instructors (must take it before you can get certified to teach it). The instructor qualification target is an 8" circle at 15yds, 20 rounds, and the qualification requires at least 16 rounds in a group under 6". The candidates had all kinds of excuses why they weren't making the qualification... "I'm tired, it's been a long 8-hr day", "I'm shooting my carry gun, not a full-size", etc. I pulled out my P239 and shot a 3-3.5" group after being on my feet all day teaching. I can do it one-handed as well. Prep the trigger and break the shot, just like my P226.

Great gun!!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I still have my P239 9mm, and for the foreseeable future always will, it sports Trijicon X-Ray sights, and Hogue checkered G10 grips, also have a new in bag spare parts kit, and two new in wrapper magazines. I did carry it for quite a while, but it lost favor for me in light of the new (at the time) G19 Gen 5, which to me carried just as well, and had more ammo capacity to boot. Then along came the P365, after more than a year of watching, and reading threads here, I took the chance that the bugs had finally been worked out so I bought one. Man am I glad I did, 10+1 rounds in the pocket, 12+1 on the belt, and always a 15 round spare mag with me. Time and great new pistols come and go, but my P239 will stay, it's that good.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it is simple. The single stack pistols fit my hand better. conceals better than a double stack pistol like my P228 or M11-A1 and I am most accurate with my P239. I installed Hogue G10 checkered grips on it so it fells pretty similar to my P225-A1, my second favorite DA/SA sig for EDC

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve kept mine (9mm) because it has a better trigger than any other DA/SA SIG I’ve ever owned save for the SP2022, and I shoot it as well as any other SIG I’ve ever owned.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one in .40. Never carried it but it is a cool little gun. I wish I had one in 9mm.

To me it’s like the sig p230/p232. There are better choices but they are just such good guns.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two P239 SASs, both chambered in .357 SIG. I can control the pistol better than I can any lighter, polymer gun, and am deadly accurate with it at self-defense distances. Both are equipped with CTC laser grips. I have parts kits for both, and 4 mags for each, one extended mag and three standard mags for each pistol. Needless to say, they are going nowhere fast. Gotta use what you use best.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 124 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Initially it was the fact it was a TDA & worked well with my preferred carry location (AIWB). Eventually the merits of caliber (357 Sig) helped it shine..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’ve got one in .40. Never carried it but it is a cool little gun. I wish I had one in 9mm.

I have a Barstow 9mm barrel for mine. You would need mags and a recoil spring and then you could enjoy all that cheap 9mm ammo out there.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FWP:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

I have a Barstow 9mm barrel for mine. You would need mags and a recoil spring and then you could enjoy all that cheap 9mm ammo out there.

So far, mine has worked just fine shooting 9mm w/ the .40 mags and recoil spring. That reminds me, I need to do that some more.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Nothing scientific, it works, I shoot it well, it carries well. I've had an SAS in .40 for quite some time.

There have always been comparisons to the 229. Yes, they are similar in size and weight. The one thing I think gets lost when comparing the two is that the weight difference is mostly in the grip due to the higher number of rounds. The single stack grip of the 239 just seems to stay tucked tighter to the body and carry more comfortable than the 229.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My 239/40 is currently being modified to 9mm with a Barsto barrel. I have a P229/40 also. I like both of them and they both are accurate. My reason for converting the 239 to 9mm is that I have more 9mm ammo and would like to give the 239 a shot with that ammo!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased mine in 2009, 9mm with night sights, because the S&W 3913 wasn't available. I found that with the G10 the ergos to be excellent, but the factory grips left a bit to be desired. It could also get 25 yard hits with regularity. I found that the overall size and shape to be good for IWB and concealed carry. I also own a P229R and find it's a great pistol but it wasn't comfortable for IWB with a blade tech holster. I also found that the 239 was great for CCW in NY where we had a 10 round max. The double column P229 lost some desirability.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I love the 239. I don’t carry it, but I could if I did in an OWB high ride. Some people don’t like the “squared off front strap”, but it’s a non issue to me. I put a Hogue wraparound on it and it’s even better. The 239 is honestly one of the best feeling and pointing Sigs I’ve ever had. It’s an absolute laser in the hand and and shoots like a bigger gun. Though it only carries 8-10 in 9mm depending on flush or extended mags, it seems like it should be plenty given that people carry mouse guns, snubbies, and 1911’s all the time.

I believe (don’t quote me) the 239 was even approved for NSW use back in the day as a back up.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I had originally purchased a P239 simply because I wanted one for my collection. I keep mine with a Hogue wraparound grip and I love the way it feels.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
This probably won’t be much help, but I feel compelled to contribute.

My P-239/9mm TT was my first Sig, purchased in Germany in 1997 at the Kaiserslautern Rod & Gun Club for $425. Not my first gun, my first Sig. I hadn’t yet shipped any of my guns over to Germany and I wanted something around (lived off-base). This was in ‘97 before they dorked up their gun laws. At the time I felt like it was made for me; it felt perfect in my hand. It’s a great shooter, made even more so after having sent it to the Custom Shop for the SRT, AEP, feed ramp polish and barrel recrowning about 8 or 10 years ago. It used to wear the Hogue rubber grip, but a few months ago I put the Hogue G-10 Pihrana grips on it. Sadly, I haven’t yet tried them out but they feel great on the gun and I’m sure I won’t be disappointed. Since it was my first Sig, and the first of many guns I bought in Germany, I don’t ever plan to sell it. I have carried it a few times. Several years ago my younger daughter gave me a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig for it, which is just super cool even if not especially practical in Arizona. (Now that I’ve lost 100 lbs., it might actually work for me, too.) Anyway, I would recommend the P239 in any caliber; they’re just special.

As I said, probably not much help, but that’s my 239 opinion... Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The P239 in .40 was my first handgun when I was 21, in 2004. I got my CHP and carried that gun every day, and shot the heck out of it. It just "fit" me and my Hobbitishly small hands. Shot it very well. It was small enough to conceal well, especially in a Versa Max II, and it shot like a bigger gun.

I went on to qualify with it for off-duty carry and carried it for years.

Finally I decided to try a Glock 19 Gen 4, and realized I shot it just as good as the Sig, it held more bullets, and carried nearly as well, so it became my "when I think I need a gun" gun (a Kahr PM9 was my backup/when I didn't think I needed a gun, gun).

But when I bought my P365 it really replaced them all. Like someone else said, 10+1 in my pocket, 12+1 IWB, and always a 15 round spare mag. Although I don't shoot it quite as good as the G19 or 239, the size trade-off and number of rounds makes it worth it.

I still qualify every year on the G19 and carry it sometimes, but the 239 is in the safe with the PM9, and neither have been taken out for a while. Honestly it needs new springs, but I don't think it will ever be a primary carry gun again. It does still make me smile when I pick it up, though.

quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I love the 239. I don’t carry it, but I could if I did in an OWB high ride.

The FIST kydex high ride is a great holster for the P239. I carried in one for years until I actually wore out the kydex. I have one for my Glock 19 now.
http://www.fist-holsters.com/s...-224-226-detail.html

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
There is 1 SERIOUS issue involved with your original post and 2 lesser issues.
1st I’ll address the serious issue, you were in town and didn’t call me! I still owe you a steak.
2 smaller issues that you did not buy the 239 in 9mm and .40.

If I had wider choice in what I could carry the 239 would be pretty high on the list. For me it just feels right. Granted a touch heavier than most, it feels well balanced, is a very good width in my hand, and it shoots well.

I bought mine for silly cheap but never carried it due to employer restrictions. So I got an offer for it for much more than I paid so I sold it. Mine was a 9mm.

I have a somewhere near 5k rounds of .40 ammo yet no gun in .40. May have to swing over there and see how good a deal they have on the .40.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always like the looks of the P239 and once I bought one, found it a great carry weapon. It's a bit heavy but with a proper belt and holster I can carry it all day without problem and it conceals very, very well. It also has been a great shooter and with the ability to change barrels it is a great choice.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
you were in town and didn’t call me! I still owe you a steak.

I thought about you while I was there but it was short notice.

I will be back in town overnight next week. I have to teach a day at the Academy next week.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
When we transitioned from the SW 4043 to the Sig 229 about a decade ago, the p239 replaced the 3953 as our approved off duty / plainclothes weapon. I bought and sold 3 over the first 5 years they were authorized. I didn't like the way the grip felt. I didn't like the trigger as much as my well worn 3953. It wasn't really much smaller than the 229.

Then I tried Hogue G10 grips.

I've had my current 239 with G10 for about 5 years now. That one change (well, that and shooting a 239 DAK enough to actually break the trigger in nicely) changed it from a gun I didn't like very much at all to a gun I like very much. I've got spare parts and a stack of magazines still in the box. I won't say it's my FAVORITE pistol, but it's what I tend to carry when I travel places that I need to carry based on my badge rather than my permit.

It's a perfectly reliable, easy to conceal, easy to shoot handgun in a capable caliber (mine is .40). What's not to like? Yeah, the capacity is a little low. I carry two spare mags instead of one. They're flat and don't take up much space.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post