SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 Owners, step in and let's talk
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 Owners, step in and let's talk Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Or rather, I want to listen (read).

Recently, on a trip to Lexington, I was in Bud's Gun Shop. They had a number of like new P239s in 9mm, and a couple in .40. Prices weren't too bad. This spawned a text back and forth-athon between me and HR HAWK over the merits of the P239.

This led me to look at stats, size, weight, etc later that evening. The size/weight difference between the P239 and the P229 has always been negligable enough that I never saw the need. Couple that with the fact that the P239 is harder to shoot at a high level at speed, and it really goes down the tubes for me at that point. This, especially the shooting part, is the thing that always turned me off about it.

But, I want to know. For those of you that were the cult following dudes (and dudettes), what was it that drove you to the P239, and then made you stay? Do you still carry it today?

The question unanswered is it still a viable carry choice in 2020, given all the other smaller, lighter, higher capacity guns?

I would like to know your thoughts. Please, however, leave the whole "SIG done stopped supporting it" stuff at the door. There are plenty of other P239 threads for you to air your grievances.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First; specs on paper do not really tell the entire story especially when concealed carry is involved.
My P239 9mm loaded with 124 grain rounds is 30.8 Oz and my P 229 E2, also loaded with 124 grain rounds weights 36 Oz. So, not a big difference in weight, but 5.2 Oz does add up over the course of a day. As far as weight vs size vs capacity of the P239 over polymer 9mm's; yes the P239 is larger and heavier than other polymer sub compacts with similar capacity. However, when the SHTF and you actually have to engage a shooter, you will be glad you had the larger, easier to shoot P239 over the light weight polymer. But when it's 100 degrees and you're lugging the P239 in your IWB, you'll wish you had the polymer instead.
So bottom line, there is no solid answer and only you can make an informed decision that best meets your requirements.
By contrast, my Glock 19 Gen 4, fully loaded with 124 grain rounds is only 31 Oz and almost double the capacity.....almost identical in size to the P239 except a little thicker.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have the 239 in 9mm & .40, like them both. They fit my hand better then any other autos I have tried. Shoot the .40 better then the 9mm.
I sometimes carry one of them but mostly carry a LCR in my pocket.
I would be real interested in a polymer framed .239 for weight reduction.
I also have a 365 but it is not grown on me yet.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad bought his P239-40 in 1996, replacing a Colt 357Mag revolver (not a Python).

He's still got it & carries it regularly.

I used it for the range portion of my TX CHL, as I shot it much better than my P11.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15251 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
the P239 is harder to shoot at a high level at speed

Can you expand a bit more on this?

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started my life on pistols with a 226. still my favorite gun. When it became possible to carry for me I wanted something smaller so I went with a 239 (same operating system and same love of sig P series design). As is my norm if I carry it, I shoot it in any matches I go to. Put more than 50K rounds over a few years doing that. I shoot it better than almost anything else I own when shooting with iron sights. Never felt any of the normal complaints about the gun were really applicable. I'd happily carry it every day. But the march of technology has me running a red dot on everything to match my aging eyesight, and I haven't milled one to solve that. The average defense shooting is well within the capabilities of the gun. Its reliable, easy to shoot, and easy to carry in terms of shape. I've always felt if you wanted to carry a 229 you might as well just do a 226, better in almost every way. Which I did for a long time.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not over impressed by the 239 (prefer the 225 Classic) until I shot one in .40. It shot so well and was the least "snappy" .40 I had ever fired.
I bought it immediately. No regrets. Even with hot Underwood ammo, it shoots soft.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that the differences in size are small on paper. But they feel huge IWB. I cant really explain why I regularly grab my p239 over my G19, p229, or even my p365...but I do frequently.

It's not a comfortable grip to hold.

Mine is even a .40 with a DAK....

But I hit the 10x12 steel plate regularly at 260', so I carry it often confidently.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I’ve had to carry a P229 for many years so it feels natural to carry the P239 when away from work . Same controls, trigger pull and it feels not to large and not to small for size and can conceal with no problems. No problems shooting out to 25 yards or more . Hard for me to do with a smaller pistol but not with the P239. My only difference is I prefer the .357 Sig caliber when away from work.

Mine is .357 Sig in DAK

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fought buying the P239 for years. I thought it was ugly and not much smaller then my P229 and held less ammo. It felt way to thin in my hands and I thought there is no way I could shoot this... Then they discontinued it and for some dang reason I needed to buy one. I bought a very nice used Police trade in 357 sig and bought a .40 barrel and mags also. I can say I wish I bought it years ago it shoots hot Underwood in .357 sig and .40 wonderfully!! Handles just as well as both my P226 and P229 in .357 sig. On paper you would think it would carry no different then those but it does feel better iwb/aiwb. I wore it at the beach all week last year no problem. I feel confident carrying it in .357 sig but the down side I would not buy a 9mm one. My HK P30sk is only a little bigger and has way more options for mags. I would also choose a P365 over it in 9mm but I’m still hesitant since I know they had problems at the beginning and the P239 has been pretty flawless for so many years. The P239 in .357 sig will stay in my carry rotation.

Posts: 119 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
It is significantly easier to conceal IWB than a 229 or 228.
It hits a sweet spot for size/weight for me, and it's not just size it's the shape. I can conceal it with ease, yet shoot it just as well as a P-226/220/228/229.
Pistols aren't heavy, mortar plates are heavy.
I carry two extra magazines.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two. .40/357 SIG and a 9mm. Both DAK. Both with checkered G10 grips. They are, for me, flat revolvers with great triggers.

I really like appendix carry. I won’t carry a cocked pistol pointed at my femoral artery. That includes all the striker guns (except my P7) and 1911 variations.

The P239 is much easier to conceal than a P229. I have both. The P229 is a brick under a T shirt and shorts.

The P239 is just big enough to shoot like a bigger gun if I need it to.

It’s not a niche gun. It’s a dependable, rugged and reliable duty grade gun. But, smaller.

It was the concealed carry weapon for SEALS and, the compact gun for Air Marshals. Pretty decent pedigree.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It wasn’t the compact gun for the FAMS.

It was a last resort for really small hands. Not many were allowed, and the gun was frowned upon.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My standard P239 was my first SIG. I bought it back in 2009 new for $330. Galyan’s sporting goods was bought out by Dick’s and they liquidated the handguns. They had the P239 marked with what should have been a Springfield XD price but gave it to me anyway because we were too far into the process by the time they realized it.

I’ve carried it a lot. It was my go-to for years as a carry gun on the motorcycle. I don’t really carry it much anymore but just because I have a few others I like a little more. I’d still carry it though. The grip is just phenomenal in my hand with the Hougues. I have an SAS version as well now. I doubt either will ever leave my collection. It’s by far the gun in my collection that I’ve had for the longest time.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carrying is one thing; light, concealable, and overall all day comfortable carrying. When things hit the fan, one has to have the confidence and accuracy that your shot hits the mark. So, to hell with all the tiny light “carry” guns. The third sig I ever bought was a p239/ 40 in 2003. And though, the second sig I ever bought(and still have) a p229/40 is the best .40 ever made, the p239/40 with hogue grips tops it despite any complaint about weight. It is accurate. It absorbs recoil to aid Accurate shot placement and it feels really good in the hand. I know that over the years I must have put more than 4K rounds of 180gr 40 through it. From time to time I change to a .357sig barrel with the same results and the only part I have changed is the recoil spring. Over time, I have added a p239/9, and is almost as good as my dear friend, the .40.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
It wasn’t the compact gun for the FAMS.

It was a last resort for really small hands. Not many were allowed, and the gun was frowned upon.

Ah. I knew they were in inventory. Didn’t know they were a last resort.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't carried one in years. There's an abundance of better choices for carry but there's an elegance about it that transcends its shortcomings. It's just a satisfying pistol to shoot and handle.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3522 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It would not be my EDC w/o the hogue grips. W/ the hogues it's perfect for me. (I hear the same about the CT grips.)
-Fits my mitts perfectly.
-Thinner/smaller than my P229s but shoots similar.
-Great trigger and accuracy.
-I can shoot multiple calibers vs. a p225.

While it's still my main carry, I have rented smaller guns like the SigP365 and Glock 43x/48. But taking finances into the equation, at this time I only entertain the idea of smaller gun w/ higher capacity while feeling just fine w/ the P239.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
A 239 is an ugly, snappy, heavy, stubby, limited capacity pistol that shoots like a target pistol. I carried and fired one so much that it wore the finish off the slide. Also it was subject to a lot of sweat. I sold it for those reasons. I would call it an amazingly good shooter. Great pistol!

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The only time I've shot a P229 was in force on force classes with Frangible ammo and so really can't compare....

As for the P239: I wanted one when they first came out but was too poor.... then about a year ago I picked up one in 9mm... before that carried all kinds of 9mm from close to full size to sub-compact.... the P239 with a set of Hogue grips just feels so good in my hand... I now own three and all three have Crimson Trace Laser grips on them (just as good as the Hogues) and the interesting thing I have learned is that this gun points perfectly with me... draw and point the gun not using the sights or laser and then engage the laser and it is hitting the exact place you are pointing at....
The 357 round is a good bit more than 9mm in a P239.... that is as small a gun as I would want to shoot it in... but I'm working on taming it. It does seem a good bit heavier than the polymer 9mm guns I carried before... there are always compromises in what you choose to carry.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post