SIGforum
P320 X5 Legion mini range report with comparison pictures

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8060097854

July 10, 2019, 08:21 PM
Factor8
P320 X5 Legion mini range report with comparison pictures
I was lucky enough to get one of the first P320 X5 Legions, it's production date is 2 July 2019. My first impression is wow this thing is heavy! Also the trigger is a vast improvement over the standard P320 X5. I used my trigger gauge and it pulls at just under 3.5lbs. It is not as good as my P320 X5 with a grayguns competition trigger but it is not to far off. Also it comes with a 14lbs and 12lbs 1911 recoil springs so you can tune your gun. I also noticed that there is not a loaded chamber indicator like on my M17.

Here is a comparison picture with my P320 X5 with a Romeo1, Grayguns competition trigger kit, and Grayguns guide rod.

Here is the difference between the gray guns guide rod and the legion guide rod. They both take 1911 springs.

I also notice the barrels have a different cut on the hood but they seem to be interchangeable.

When I was installing the Deltapoint pro I inspected the striker and I did not notice anything different from any of my other P320's. I did not snap a picture because there was nothing exciting about it.

I noticed something odd when I was looking at the FCU's. The new X5 Legion has the same trigger bar as my MS M17. The order of the FCU's are top left - P320 X5, bottom left - P320 FS RX, top right - P320 X5 Legion, and bottom right - P320 M17 MS.

I do not have a small digital scale but when it is held next to my all stainless elite P226 with a gray guns stainless steel guide rod. The P320 Legion feels heavier but that is just a rough guess.

The last comparison is of my M17 MS with a Coyote X5 grip. I just took this picture for a color comparison.

I am out of practice because I have been shooting optics on my pistols for the last 2 years but with that given fact this gun shot very well. It is the softest shooting 9mm that I have ever shot. It was very easy to get back on target and shoot quickly. Also I need to adjust the sights a little bit to the right but it shot a pretty good group. I have a deltapoint pro on it's way to me now so I will install the RDS and take it back to the range early next week.

Here is my target at 10 meters with a normal shooting pace.

Here is a target where I shot a full magazine of 17 rounds as fast as I could at 10 meters.

My overall initial opinion is that I love this gun and could not be happier with it. I only put 50 rounds through it but it did not give me any issues. I went straight from my FFL to the range and it shot great. I think Sig hit a home run with this gun and it will sell very well at its price point and all of its features.

---Picture update---

I tried 3 different configurations on the X5 Legion grip. I have a M17, X5, and FS RX. In all of the pictures besides the M17 I swapped the FCU along with the slide assembly. With the M17 I just did the slide because I have a manual safety version and I did not want to cut the grip to make it fit. Everything fit perfectly and worked in every configuration.

The first picture is with the standard P320 X5 FCU and slide;

The next is with my FS RX FCU and slide;

The last is with my M17 Slide;

------ Deltapoint Pro update --------

I got the deltapoint pro installed tonight and I like it. I have an RMR'd G19, and many different Sig RX's and I have to say this is giving all of them a run for their money. I will try and get to the range tomorrow and see how it does.

---------- Trigger and FCU picture update -------------

Here are some more requested pictures. I lined up 4 different triggers X5, X5 Legion, Standard P320 and Gray Guns straight trigger. When tested all 4 create different trigger pulls. Each of the 4 have a change in their geometry and have a trigger pull stop location. When my eyes are closed the Legion and gray guns triggers create just about the same trigger pull when they have the same internals. The Standard X5 trigger is ok, but it creates a .75-1lbs increase in trigger pull over the legion and Gray Guns trigger.

Here is a picture of the FCU flipped upside down. I compared the FCU to my M17 MS FCU and they are identical. The original X5 and my RX have the same style FCU's and the M17 and Legion have the same. My opinion the FCU has very little in play when it comes to trigger pull/feel.

If you are looking for the trigger bar on the X5 Legion just order a M17 MS trigger bar. They are identical.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Factor8,
July 10, 2019, 08:35 PM
SteadyHand
Very nice review...

I like it.
July 10, 2019, 08:39 PM
Ryanp225
Congrats on most likely being the first kid on your block with one of those.
What do you think of the base pads on the mags? I got the opportunity to work with the guy who does those. He and I shoot together in local matches too and is a hell of a nice man.
July 10, 2019, 08:42 PM
sigarmsp226
Factor8 - Thanks for this first review..Respectfully I would like to ask two questions please Sir...

1 - It looks like the grip circumference is larger than the grip circumference on the factory grip n the P320-X5. When your time allows can you measure the circumference on the Legion and advise if it is larger.
2 - When you have the Legion apart again can you try your fire control unit, barrel, spring, and slide assembly on the standard X5 and advise if it fits the Legion grip module...

I have the P320-X5 and am hoping the grip module circumference is similar and if the grip module on the Legion will work if someone has the standard P320-X5......

Thanks Sir - Mark
July 10, 2019, 09:12 PM
GJM AK
I got my 320 Legion today, mounted a DP Pro, removed the Sig mag well, and with a 21 round magazine with a Taran base plate, it weighed 42.65 ounces.

I shot about 300 rounds through the new Legion this afternoon. First magazine, I had a stoppage or two with PMC 115 ball, which is low power factor ammo. None with American Eagle 115 ball, and then the PMC ran as the pistol got some rounds through it.

It was easy to zero the DP Pro, took it off a P10F, and it was within an inch at 25 yards on the new Legion. A few clicks on the prototype ruggedized Pro, and I was zeroed. This pistol is a delight to shoot. When I went back to a regular X5, it felt flighty by comparison. The regular X5 has a GGI competition trigger, and while it is a smidge lighter, I thought the stock Legion trigger was quite good.

I think the new Legion will be the bomb for high round count shooters. The combination of its weight and the way the X frame beaver tail spreads recoil over the web of your hand, makes this pistol extremely comfortable to shoot. The X grip is also very easy to consistently get a good grip on the draw with. The polymer and Tungsten combination would seem to offer the best of a polymer and metal gun. And, as a simple striker design, it doesn’t seem maintenance intensive like the metal pistols.

My wife shot it and liked it enough, we got her one. This was a surprise as she thought she might prefer the lighter weight of the regular X5 she has been shooting lately. She has the Dremel out working on the magwell now, so we will see if the Tungsten makes that work any harder.

If the pistols run and hold up, I predict Sig will sell crates of them to competitive shooters.
July 11, 2019, 07:37 PM
Factor8
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Factor8 - Thanks for this first review..Respectfully I would like to ask two questions please Sir...

1 - It looks like the grip circumference is larger than the grip circumference on the factory grip n the P320-X5. When your time allows can you measure the circumference on the Legion and advise if it is larger.
2 - When you have the Legion apart again can you try your fire control unit, barrel, spring, and slide assembly on the standard X5 and advise if it fits the Legion grip module...

I have the P320-X5 and am hoping the grip module circumference is similar and if the grip module on the Legion will work if someone has the standard P320-X5......

Thanks Sir - Mark

Not an issue,

1) I measured the grip and it is the same as 3 other x5 grips that i have. The picture just gives the illusion that it is bigger.

2) It fits in every configuration that I could try. I took pictures and updated the initial post.
July 12, 2019, 05:54 PM
sigarmsp226
Factor8 - Thank you Sir for taking time to measure the grips and also taking pictures and posting those pictures related to my other questions....Greatly appreciate your responses....Mark
July 16, 2019, 07:58 AM
fnforme
Excellent review! I just picked one up last night and was amazed with how easy it is to shoot well.

Note that Sig has a present promo for select Legion models on their website and it lists the P220, P226, and P229 as qualifying models to receive $200 in Sig Store credit. If you click the link to submit proof of purchase it also lists the P320 X5 Legion as a qualifying model. I called Sig and confirmed that this pistol also qualifies for the promo. Make sure to apply for the credit!
July 16, 2019, 09:28 AM
isthatasiginyourpocket
quote:
Originally posted by fnforme:
Excellent review! I just picked one up last night and was amazed with how easy it is to shoot well.

Note that Sig has a present promo for select Legion models on their website and it lists the P220, P226, and P229 as qualifying models to receive $200 in Sig Store credit. If you click the link to submit proof of purchase it also lists the P320 X5 Legion as a qualifying model. I called Sig and confirmed that this pistol also qualifies for the promo. Make sure to apply for the credit!

That is good to know!
July 16, 2019, 01:30 PM
ELR
What do you need to submit for the rebate?
July 16, 2019, 01:48 PM
fnforme
I just successfully submitted mine and all you need is a copy of the receipt and serial number (plus your contact info).

The submission takes a few weeks for processing, so don't expect to be able to immediately order anything. Legion mags are not in stock yet anyways. Today I called Sig and they confirmed they should be arriving any day now but they were unaware of price yet.
July 16, 2019, 07:38 PM
Factor8
Good info on the rebate, it did not say how much the rebate was on the website so I called sig today and they confirmed that it is the $200 rebate. So if you can pick one up this month it is a steal with the rebate.
July 16, 2019, 07:49 PM
Factor8
I just installed a deltapoint pro tonight and I updated the original post with a picture.

I also had an extra grayguns competition trigger set sitting around that I installed, but kept the legion trigger and the results were amazing! It has a 2-2.5lbs trigger pull with a distinctive break and short reset.

I am excited to get to the range with the updated trigger and the deltapoint pro.
July 17, 2019, 11:55 AM
Gary1911A1
All the good reports plus this one has me wanting to buy the first X5 Legion I see.
July 18, 2019, 12:19 PM
MinkFeet
How did you mount the Delta Point? Does it come with plates, ala Glock MOS?
July 18, 2019, 12:27 PM
Factor8
quote:
Originally posted by MinkFeet:
How did you mount the Delta Point? Does it come with plates, ala Glock MOS?

The X5 Legion is cut for a direct mount of the Deltapoint pro, Romeo1 Pro, and Romeo2. You just remove the rear sight and install the sight. I used the screws that came with the deltapoint pro.
July 25, 2019, 07:29 PM
BoredTigerPew
Can you post a photo of the trigger alone? removed from the FCU?

And any other angles of the FCU (preferably from below).

Thank you.
July 25, 2019, 07:58 PM
Biggy
Grip Module overall weight is 16.6oz (weight includes magwell and grip weight).
July 26, 2019, 02:00 AM
heisrizn
Who has one in stock?

July 26, 2019, 07:38 AM
Factor8
quote:
Originally posted by BoredTigerPew:
Can you post a photo of the trigger alone? removed from the FCU?

And any other angles of the FCU (preferably from below).

Thank you.

I am out of town but I can get pictures for you on Sunday. If memory serves me right the FCU was identical to my MS M17 FCU. It was cut and set up to add am manual safety.