SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Xray sights vs Trijicon HD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xray sights vs Trijicon HD Login/Join 
posted
I have Trihicon HDs on a couple of pistols, and for a carry/self defense pistol, I think they work really well.
Looking at pictures of the Sig, Xray sights, to me, they look exactly like the HDs.
I'm setting up a P320, and although the factory night sights would work fine, in the dark, they aren't the easiest to pick up quickly when it's light out.
Anybody have experiance with both?

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. HD’s are taller than necessary. They also stand out much better in daylight. At night they are the same. That orange or yellow ring on Trijicon HD’s is waaaaay more daytime useable for me than Xrays.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. I use the HD's on all my Glocks and some of the others; the x-rays on the sigs. I like the x-rays, though as noted above, they're not nearly as visible as the Trijicon HD's.

The HD's are sharp; they're serrated on the back edge to reduce glare, and they're somewhat bulky. The top edge of the rear sight is sharp. If a file is used to break that edge, it allows them to be reflective and they require finish over that area, so it's not really practical. The HD's are more expensive, too.

Given a choice between them, I prefer the HD's. They're easier to see under all lighting conditions, and they show up better in dim light in a transition between light and dark. I prefer the orange front sight; it's visible against almost any background.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information!
It looks like I need to look around for a set of HDs.
I'm a little color-blind, but don't have any problem seeing the yellow ones.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I too have both. The one thing I will say about the X Ray sights is that they zero really nicely at distance on the 9mms.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If you are concerned about shooting outdoors, the TFX-Pros can’t be beat. They are not as bright as HDs or Mepro in the dark but are plenty servicable. If you have an indoor shooting range, the TFX-Pros are OK. Outodor shooting is where they really shine so to speak.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
If you are concerned about shooting outdoors, the TFX-Pros can’t be beat. They are not as bright as HDs or Mepro in the dark but are plenty servicable. If you have an indoor shooting range, the TFX-Pros are OK. Outodor shooting is where they really shine so to speak.

A friend of mine has a set of TFX, and I agree that they are as bright outside as Dawsen fiber optics. What I don't like about them is that they are long, and they shorten the sight radius. I want to keep the sight radius as long as possible. I also run a Crimson Trace on ALL of my carry/self defense pistols, which, if it's dark enough, is more accurate on tiny pistols, with a short sight radius.

posted Hide Post
So, I just placed an order for a set of yellow TrijiconHDs in yellow.
Thanks again for all the information!

posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the orange trijicons, I'd like to try the XR versions.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
A little off topic, I've developed a callus on my stomach from carrying Trijicon HD sighted guns, AIWB. They are very sharp.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
A little off topic, I've developed a callus on my stomach from carrying Trijicon HD sighted guns, AIWB. They are very sharp.

I have them on my old, M&P compact, along with a Crimson Trace laser grip, and when I carry IWB, it's towards the front, and I've never noticed an issue, but, that may be because the laser grip holds it away from my body a little.
I bought a spare takedown lever for P320. I'm going to grind it down. The big, honking takedown lever makes a dandy thumbrest, and won't be any issue in an OWB holster, but, if I leave it stock, I don't think I'm going to like it IWB.

Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I run ameriglo FBI/Contract sights on my glocks. I prefer them to the HD' as they are better regulated as far as POA/POI.

On my Sigs I run X ray sights, but I do swap the front X ray for a Yellow/Green Ameriglo pro glo font.

For me the Yellow stands out against what I would typically be using as a target. The orange washes out against too many colors at least for my eyes. The yellow/green are sharper for me.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
I prefer the HD's, the orange contrasts on more backgrounds and the rounded bottom of the rear is easier for me to pick up. I prefer Dawson's over either

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post