SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for Thoughts and Experiences on the Colt Cobra .38 Special 6-shot Snub **REVIEW ON PAGE 2**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Thoughts and Experiences on the Colt Cobra .38 Special 6-shot Snub **REVIEW ON PAGE 2** Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
Looking for feedback from those that have handled, owned, and/or shot the new Colt Cobra .38 snub and what your thoughts, impressions, likes and dislikes are about them. There are some better availability, several different models, and better deals out there on these now that they have been out a while and I am considering one of these to fill my vacant .38 snub role. I have handled one I came across today and everything about them seems really nice: 6 round capacity, ergonomic/comfortable grip, replaceable fiber optic front sight, very nice trigger, great overall fit and finish, etc.

Would very much like to hear what the shooting/accuracy, reliability, and any problem related experiences, if any, have been with these and if you would recommend them. Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dtech,

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Less than a box thru mine so part of my comments can be taken with a grain-of-salt. Exc+ fit and finish - strong carry-up and all six chambers are tight when the trigger is pulled. Burn rings are centered on the face of the cylinder and all six chambers appear near-perfectly aligned (checked with tiny flashlight) with the trigger pulled. Very good SA trigger but I have hand strength issues so I didn't even try DA. Unlike almost all recent S&W's - the crane/yoke is very tightly retained against the frame - light to moderate finger pressure on the cylinder will not cause the crane to flex away from the frame. I cannot think of a single downside except for the weight. I have two 360J's so they wind up going thru a carry rotation. I don't currently own a DS but I think it's more than a little bit heavier.

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Geo. I have been wanting one of those Cobra’s as well.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks for the reply Geo!

Looks like you and I may need to be additional forum guinea pigs divil! Big Grin

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The closest thing I have is my Detective Special...

10-7 1963 Det Spcl knife closed by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Nice Rolan!

Yeah, I started out with revolvers as my first two handguns once upon a time and have always had a soft spot for a good quality, reliable, accurate wheel gun. The 4" stainless GP100, while my second revolver, was always my true "first love" because my first one, a 6" Taurus 669 .357 left a lot to be desired (not a knock on Taurus in general though, see my post in the 856 thread). Then I got to shoot my brother's blued 6" Colt Python with a worked over trigger and ever since, I've never been without a revolver of one kind or another and I still have a 4" stainless GP100 after replacing the original one I foolishly traded in on an HK USP .40 that was nothing but trouble for me when they first came out. But that's another story.

I've never owned a Colt revolver so I've decided to give the Cobra a try. I did good at the local gunshow yesterday with a couple of items I wanted to sell so I can fund the purchase and still have some left over. I figure if you see something you like and that seems good from your hands-on impressions and what a few might have shared on reviews and feedback, you might as well give it a try, especially a gun you can't typically rent or try from someone you know. Worst case scenario you trade it or sell it and consider any loss a rental fee. If it works out well, you then have something you like and share your experience to help motivate others to purchase and the company to develop similar guns or expand the concept to others you may like too.

I'll report back after I receive it and have a chance to try it out. An all matte stainless model with fiber optic front sight and rubber grip is on the way! Cool

-Dtech

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Want the same functionality, but lots cheaper?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5330050264/p/1

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I would not consider Taurus to be even remotely in the same league as Colt or S&W.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Want the same somewhat similar functionality, but lots cheaper?

Warhorse beat me to the post but…Fixed it for you. Wink

As a cautious Taurus fan, and a participant in the Taurus thread, I did mention the thread in my post above yours, just did not link to it as I felt it stood on its own for anyone considering another alternative and the subject of this thread was specific to the Cobra. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate your intention to save those looking for a .38 snub some money, but it may have been more persuading if a first-hand comparison of the Colt and Taurus could have been offered.

I left a direct comparison out of this thread as I was looking for some feedback specific to the Colt since the Taurus thread was there and recently active, but since I did handle two different all stainless Taurus 856 snubs at the same time I handled the Colt Cobra (it was a two-tone with the brown G10 grip, the only one at the small show) I'll go ahead and share my impressions and observations since it was brought up.

With all due respect to the Taurus as a stainless 6 shot .38 Special snub that will send .38 slugs downrange just like the Colt Cobra will, that is where the similarities end. The overall fit, finish, material quality and appearance are not the same, and neither are the mechanical qualities, lockup, smoothness, and trigger pull. While the Taurus is certainly a good .38 Special alternative for the money, you are most certainly not getting a Colt Cobra equivalent at almost 1/3 the price (after Taurus rebate). There are both tangible and intangible differences the Colt offers including a fiber optic and replaceable front sight, a better balance and grip, a little heavier to handle recoil better, a much better trigger pull especially in double action, a more spacious contoured trigger guard, and realistically speaking, the value retention and resale value of the Colt brand name is no contest.

As a reasonably priced tool, the Taurus absolutely serves its purpose. As an investment taking the aforementioned differences into consideration, there is no comparison. Just like a Volkswagen and BMW will both get you from point A to point B, there are reasons, other than simple brand name prestige, that a BMW and Volkswagen do not cost the same and that is in no way a knock on Volkswagens either. Wink

-Dtech

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I've been reading up on them on various forums over the past year. Downrange reports are pretty much 100% owner satisfaction and I've yet to hear of any problems - other than one made it to the new owners hands without the correct Colt markings! To the obscure collector, that'll be a gem one day.

With their new King Cobras (.357) out now, those too have caught my eye.

Much like you, I'm ready to grab one - I hope to be picking up a new Night Cobra this week. That's the one with the bobbed hammer and front night sight.

Please continue with your report on your new one when you get it!

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Are today's Colt revolvers remotely the quality of the revolvers they put out in their heyday? On both sides of the comparison, I suspect a lot of people are going by old data/reputations that may no longer by applicable. I'm not hearing bad things about Taurus's recent production revolvers.

And if the OP wants to get back into the revolver game to see if he likes it, the Taurus lets him do so at a much lower price.

quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I would not consider Taurus to be even remotely in the same league as Colt or S&W.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you want the Colt, you want the Colt. That's fine. I like the Colt also (especially the Night Cobra.) But here's the question: Does the quality that Colt is achieving NOW (relative to the Taurus) correlate to the difference in price?

As to your edit of my first line, the only real functional (as opposed to a quality) difference I see is the front sight (which I'll concede can we a worthwhile improvement.) Will the Colt allow you to get rounds on target faster and more accurately than the Taurus? I bet not.

quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
Want the same somewhat similar functionality, but lots cheaper?

Warhorse beat me to the post but…Fixed it for you. Wink

As a cautious Taurus fan, and a participant in the Taurus thread, I did mention the thread in my post above yours, just did not link to it as I felt it stood on its own for anyone considering another alternative and the subject of this thread was specific to the Cobra. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate your intention to save those looking for a .38 snub some money, but it may have been more persuading if a first-hand comparison of the Colt and Taurus could have been offered.

I left a direct comparison out of this thread as I was looking for some feedback specific to the Colt since the Taurus thread was there and recently active, but since I did handle two different all stainless Taurus 856 snubs at the same time I handled the Colt Cobra (it was a two-tone with the brown G10 grip, the only one at the small show) I'll go ahead and share my impressions and observations since it was brought up.

With all due respect to the Taurus as a stainless 6 shot .38 Special snub that will send .38 slugs downrange just like the Colt Cobra will, that is where the similarities end. The overall fit, finish, material quality and appearance are not the same, and neither are the mechanical qualities, lockup, smoothness, and trigger pull. While the Taurus is certainly a good .38 Special alternative for the money, you are most certainly not getting a Colt Cobra equivalent at almost 1/3 the price (after Taurus rebate). There are both tangible and intangible differences the Colt offers including a fiber optic and replaceable front sight, a better balance and grip, a little heavier to handle recoil better, a much better trigger pull especially in double action, a more spacious contoured trigger guard, and realistically speaking, the value retention and resale value of the Colt brand name is no contest.

As a reasonably priced tool, the Taurus absolutely serves its purpose. As an investment taking the aforementioned differences into consideration, there is no comparison. Just like a Volkswagen and BMW will both get you from point A to point B, there are reasons, other than simple brand name prestige, that a BMW and Volkswagen do not cost the same and that is in no way a knock on Volkswagens either. Wink

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want the Colt, you want the Colt. That's fine. I like the Colt also (especially the Night Cobra.) But here's the question: Does the quality that Colt is achieving NOW (relative to the Taurus) correlate to the difference in price?

As far as the quality of today's Colts vs. yesteryear's go, having likely nowhere near the exposure to hand built Colt revolvers vs. the manufacturing processes of today that some other folks do, but not being completely uninformed/inexperienced with them either, I would offer that the quality of both styles of Colt engineering and assembly, while different, seem to offer a reasonably similar level of perceived quality as a finished product. Having recently handled a couple of vintage Colt revolvers including a King Cobra, and Python, I would say that the new Cobra compares quite favorably with them. It may not have all the hand fitting goodness, but the quality is there regardless, just achieved in a different way. I won't know how the newer Cobra's perceived, felt, and visible quality and handling translates to shootability and performance for another few days. If my initial impressions are correct, and from what some others have mentioned, I'm looking forward to a positive experience.

quote:
As to your edit of my first line, the only real functional (as opposed to a quality) difference I see is the front sight (which I'll concede can we a worthwhile improvement.) Will the Colt allow you to get rounds on target faster and more accurately than the Taurus? I bet not.

While we can maybe split hairs over some of the other items I mentioned as to quality and attention to detail vs. functional, once I have some hands-on time with the Cobra, I might take that bet. I am no Jerry Miculek, but the Cobra trigger felt so good and smooth and relatively light as compared to the Taurus, that in both dumping the cylinder into a close range target or being able to get the fiber optic sight visibly back on target in more controlled fire, I'm fairly confident the Colt would allow you to at least potentially do it better and faster. To me, the biggest factor and what I count as the most important functional property, especially on a revolver because it does more than it does on a pistol, is the trigger pull. In this respect, the Taurus is just not that closely comparable to the Colt, at least in the two samples I tried vs. the one Cobra handled. The two Taurus I tried did have practically identical triggers which speaks to the consistency of the Taurus manufacturing but the contour, travel, and feel of the trigger on the Cobra felt measurably better to me.

If it sounds like I'm just trying to justify my purchase of the Colt, I'm not. If the Colt ends up not measuring up to my high expectations, I will certainly bring it to light without reservation. I'm just hoping my first impressions are accurate and that the Cobra is as well.

You know, there's nothing that says I won't end up buying the Taurus as well either. There is a lot to be said about having a useful, good quality gun, that you won't get too distraught over putting a scratch or two or five on. Smile

-Dtech

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The Cobra has slithered its way home! Cool

Just some quick pics for now as I have some other pressing things at the moment, but I did get to check it over and handle it some at the shop.

Love the fit/finish, love the trigger pull, love the perfect amount of friction between the crane and the frame when swinging the cylinder in and out, love the trigger, love the 100% solid lockup when you pull the trigger, love the front sight, love the grip....LOVE...IT! Big Grin

I'm really hoping it shoots as good as it looks and feels, because if it does, it's a keeper for sure! I should be getting to the range some time this weekend and will report back when I do.

-Dtech

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Cool!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the actual barrel on the colt is MIM. That's a hard pass for me. Also, the lock work on colts has always been too delicate for me. Are the new ones more durable?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if the MIM barrel is true as I have only seen it mentioned as hearsay on another forum. To my mind, I don't really care one way or the other if the gun functions the way it should without function or durability issues and proves accurate. From everything I've read when doing my homework before buying, the internals on the new Colts are in fact completely redesigned and were made with longevity, durability, and smooth function in mind. I've seen it mentioned in a number of reviews including a commentary from an actual Colt exec in an interview to that effect. So, while the "hand fitted goodness" is gone, they have evidently made some positive engineering and parts improvements. Considering these came out in 2017 and I have not come across any concerning negative mention on these to any notable degree (the few mixed individual reviews seemed isolated incidents or just personal preference), I would venture to say they are doing well in this respect. This is one of the reasons I was not an early adopter. I wanted to see if the new design was worth giving a try so now I'll have a first-hand experience to share soon.

-Dtech

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Now hopefully the Cobra will soon slither to the range and give a full and positive report!

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have the Night Cobra and it is an excellent revolver. Great trigger, great shooting, and concealable. And......cheaper now than when I purchased mine a little over a year ago.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Well, looks like I won't be able to make it to the range until likely Wednesday due to some family concerns, but it is just as well since the .38 Special Federal HST ammo I ordered won't be here until Tuesday anyway and I wanted to include it during the first outing since it would likely be the load I would be carrying in it. I also have some 110gr Winchester Silver Tips, and a variety of 125 to 158gr loads to try as well (standard and +P, FMJ, HP, and wadcutters). I will make sure to post some feedback as soon as I have it available though since I know some people are eagerly waiting.

-Dtech