SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    offbeat shooting method
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

offbeat shooting method Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
I have searched but no luck...
A while back there was a discussion on shooting methods. One of them mentioned showed a guy that right handed/left eye dominant would hold the pistol canted using left eye to sight.
Anybody know the name of this method?

Thanks

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
I don't know that it has a name, but I know what you're talking about. I'm cross-eye dominant. I tried that for awhile, and IMO it's not the way to go. I find it much easier & more consistent to just turn my head to the right slightly & leave the gun level.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmoneybags:
I tried that for awhile, and IMO it's not the way to go. I find it much easier & more consistent to just turn my head to the right slightly & leave the gun level.

Yeah!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have never seen it given a name.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
It's the Center Axis Relock System or CARS. It has it's good points especially at close distances. Also, you don't have to be left eye dominant.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmoneybags:
I don't know that it has a name, but I know what you're talking about. I'm cross-eye dominant. I tried that for awhile, and IMO it's not the way to go. I find it much easier & more consistent to just turn my head to the right slightly & leave the gun level.

This is what I do as well.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of cross eye dominant officers and all they do is cant their head a little.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
There's no name for it to my knowledge. jljones may weigh in differently. I do a lot of ladies' beginner classes. Since about 40% of women are cross-eye dominant depending on which study you read, I deal with it a lot. The easiest thing we've found is simply shifting the head to the side.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
To me this isn't rocket science - you simply grip the pistol in front of you, in front of the eye you sight with.

Whether you move your head or the pistol has never mattered to me (righty / left eye pistol - right eye rifle).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Center Axis Relock System

Cool-sounding, but utterly meaningless name. Roll Eyes

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Cool-sounding, but utterly meaningless name"

But one you can make money off of........

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I'm right handed, but left eye dominant.

I simply put the pistol out in front of me in the isosceles stance, and slightly turn my head to the right. Left eye is behind the pistol and I'm good to go.

Much easier, IMO, than canting the gun.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Center Axis Relock System

Cool-sounding, but utterly meaningless name. Roll Eyes

Google is your friend. You might learn something you didn't know before instead of making faces.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBt0d_umXg

1:30/5:17

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Years ago I heard the issue of cross dominance in eye and hand termed sinistral but when I look it up it seems to say both left hand and eye dominance as opposed to cross dominance. I know there's a term for the cross dominance but it escapes me obviously.... Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I just keep on using my right eye - even though left is dominant. And I do okay, accuracy wise. I probably close my left eye unconsciously sometimes if I'm not specifically trying hard to keep them both open at all times..

I think because when I was a kid and started my shooting career, it was all with BB guns, .22 rifles, and shotguns - you pretty much have to use the right eye to line up the sites if you're right-handed. So, when pistol use started much later in life I was already used to using the right eye (and had never heard of cross-dominance).

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m cross dominant. I cant the pistol. Well, mostly anyway. The reason I’m cross dominant is a very slight birth defect that also makes it so my head naturally tilts to the side. So I don’t have to cant the pistol as much as others may. Still, I think you should listen to Gunnny:

https://youtu.be/6be8GOPPauI

But at the same time, I suggest whatever you do should be natural and repeatable.

As for people mentioning center axis relock:
Yes, it is a thing
No, it’s not for cross dominance
Yes, it is a really stupid name
No, it’s not practical for most situations
Yes, it may have a time and place
No, you don’t look like John Wick when you do it
Yes, it’s used by Hollywood cuz it “looks tactical” and allows a closeup of face with gun in frame.

Overall, my opinion is “just don’t.”

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:

As for people mentioning center axis relock:
Yes, it is a thing
No, it’s not for cross dominance
Yes, it is a really stupid name
No, it’s not practical for most situations
Yes, it may have a time and place
No, you don’t look like John Wick when you do it
Yes, it’s used by Hollywood cuz it “looks tactical” and allows a closeup of face with gun in frame.

Overall, my opinion is “just don’t.”

It was mentioned because the OP asked if it had a name. It does. It is called the Center Axis Relock System and it does have a time and a place. It works well in close quarters. A similar method is the Porter method where if you are right eye dominant you use your right eye for sighting. In the CARS you use your left eye.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Years ago I heard the issue of cross dominance in eye and hand termed sinistral but when I look it up it seems to say both left hand and eye dominance as opposed to cross dominance. I know there's a term for the cross dominance but it escapes me obviously.... Frown

"Contralateral" might be the word you're looking for.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exfed2001:
"Cool-sounding, but utterly meaningless name"

Even if the technique(s) could be of value in some limited situations, the name as a descriptor is still meaningless. And yes, there are many other expressions relating to shooting that are equally nondescriptive; “Weaver” method is one that comes to mind immediately. The difference, though, is that we all know that Weaver isn’t intended to be descriptive without further explanation. But “center axis relock”? So yes, it’s cool and sounds a little as if we were talking about a martial arts maneuver or the like, but it actually describes what it’s about as well as if we called it the “Jones” method.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post