SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    West German p228 and P225 questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West German p228 and P225 questions Login/Join 
Picture of throwingdown
posted
So one of my LGS has a few pistols they're selling. They have a NIB P228 and P225.

So which would you purchase of the two. It would be an occasional range toy.

I really like the feel of the single stack 225.

Which is the more rare. They have boxes targets and are still wrapped in the plastic bags.

Just asking (not price checking) what would be top dollar you would spend as the prices are on the high side. I checked GB and can't find any listed to make comparisons.

If I could afford it I'd buy both but I think I'd opt for a Legion over the 228.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 225 didn’t feel right in my hand shooting it, sold it. Had a 228, grip seemed kinda/sorta short for my hand. Settled on a 226, never looked back.

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taguin:
Had a 225 didn’t feel right in my hand shooting it, sold it. Had a 228, grip seemed kinda/sorta short for my hand. Settled on a 226, never looked back.

Same here!

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
Buy both. Funny. I just purchased a W German P226 nickel from them a month ago. Same condition. I had a 228 and a P6 years ago and like a dummy sold them, but I did good on the sale.

As they say hindsight is 20/20.

Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I really like the P225 myself.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jump on both.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own 3 single stack guns and they’re all just for range only (P7, 1911 ANVIII, P230 if you care). Everything for real use is double stack. There’s no reason, in my mind, to consider the P225.

To answer your other question, neither are rare. You’re not getting a collector here.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
The P228 is probably more collectible/desirable in NIB condition. The P225 is probably more rare, as in you don't see them NIB in the classifieds often... but that doesn't mean you'd get a better price for it.

Realistically, you said the prices are high and you're planning to shoot whichever one you get... so IMO you shouldn't buy either. You're going to immediately drop the value, so why not just buy a used one in really good condition from the Classifieds? Guns are cheap right now, there are good deals to be had. I wouldn't blow money on a NIB unless it was a good deal, or if I was planning to keep it NIB.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a P226, get the 228 as mags are compatible.

I really like my 225, rides nicely and conceals well for me.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
You said the prices are high. If you don’t mind sharing, what are they asking?

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Having owned both, I am going to suggest which ever fits you best.

For me, it would be the P225, but that is just me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
225 900. 228 999.

I think the W German pistols had better QC. It's like traveling back to the past to buy them new. Since they are no longer made I feel that gives them a special quality.

If you look at current prices of new Sigs...

The thing about buying used is you just don't know how much they've been through. And the prices for descent clean ones is up there.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Woah!!!!!

Those seem to be a little................Ok, a lot high.

Where are you located?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by throwingdown:
225 900. 228 999.

I think the W German pistols had better QC. It's like traveling back to the past to buy them new. Since they are no longer made I feel that gives them a special quality.

If you look at current prices of new Sigs...

The thing about buying used is you just don't know how much they've been through. And the prices for descent clean ones is up there.

If they are truly NIB W. Germans, complete with all the original goodies, that's pretty much in line with GB pricing. Actually, on GB, the P228 would probably go for more, and the P225 a little less.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I've owned both and sold the P225, to thin for my grip.

As others have stated, the best WG Sig 'for me anyway" is the P226.

I only bought and kept the WG P228 to give to my daughter when she weds.
A rental WG P228 was the first firearm she ever shot over 10 years ago.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
225 900. 228 999.

I'm offering my opinion. But if I had $900 to $1,000 to spend on a pistol I wouldn't be buying a Sig P225 or P228. They just aren't worth that much.

quote:
I think the W German pistols had better QC.

The reason that people think that the West German marked Sigs had better QC is that the ones that didn't have already landed on the scrapheap. Have you seen the tread about the "Lysons Corner" P226's? Does that sound like good QC to you?

I've seen West German P228 slides with defective bluing. I've seen P225's marked as K-kote that were really blued.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I've owned both and sold the P225, to thin for my grip.

Huh?! They are practially the same size.

The info below is from a thread from several years ago. Unfortunately I forgot to save the user name of the original author so I could give them credit.

quote:
225 vs. 228

My original post about thickness of the 225 and 228 pertained to the ability to conceal the two models.

Actual measurements from my guns:
Slide width (average): 225 - 1.006"; 228 - 1.005"; difference - 0.001" (in favor of the 228)
Grip thickness (centered between two grip screws): 225 - 1.256"; 228 - 1.251; difference - 0.005" (in favor of the 228)
Grip thickness (bottom): 225 - 1.254"; 228 - 1.276"; difference - 0.022"
Grip thickness (top, over decocker): 225 - 1.266"; 228 - 1.391"; difference 0.125"

The swell (or bump) at the top of the 228's left grip plate does add 1/8" to the gun's maximum width, but it's only in a very limited area. Because the bump tends to push in against a person's body, it has little, if any, effect on how the gun conceals when actually carried. But if anyone thinks it matters, by all means choose the 225.

As I mentioned above, the grips of the 225 and 228 don't feel the same because the 255's are shorter from front to back and because its trigger is placed in a different location relative to the shooter's hand. For that reason, many people with small hands prefer the 225.

The 225's grip has a smaller circumference than the 228's and the 225 trigger is closer to the rear of the gun. Also, the 225's grip puts the shooter's hand closer to the top of the gun, requiring the trigger finger to be angled down slightly to the trigger. These factors make the two guns feel distinctively different when handled. In short, the 225 is better for people with smaller hands, but describing the differences is about impossible. If possible, try before you buy.

Grip thickness (width) between the screws:
P225 - 1.256"
P228 - 1.251"

Slide width by ejection port:
P225 - 1.005"
P228 - 1.004"

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a nice, refinished P6 a few years ago. Installed all 225 springs in it and it is one of my favorites.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Love this gun since it is sort of different than the regular 225s I see.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of King of Useless Knowledge
posted Hide Post
I've had a P225 for years and I love it, most days its my CCW Weapon. Price dictates most things, I think I paid $350 for mine with box and mags in fall of 2016

Posts: 38 | Location: Wasilla Alaska  | Registered: May 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 4 225's, everytime i sell one i buy another. I have had 2 228's. The grip is just a tad short

I now have 5 226's.

900 for 225 is silly, i paid 600 for one on here with7 mags last year.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post