Tools

CPO Sigs Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You can go this route too

https://www.kingsfirearmsonlin...0-s-w-police-tade-in

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I got a CPO 1911 Tacops in .357 and it was barely fired, at worst. Excellent shape and has functioned perfectly. Night sights are still bright, too.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found a CPO 229 in .40 and will likely buy it. I can get a great deal on Winchester Bonded 180 gr. JHP for carry purposes. Do any of you have experience with the round, good or bad from a 229 ?

Posts: 52 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to the Ranger, or the Q4369 round?

I have carried the Winchester Bonded 180 grain JHP (Ranger) on duty and also in my off duty carry.

The bedside gun and my CCW is loaded with the same round. (P239 and MP .40C)

I never had a problem, and it always ran flawlessly. When I was sent to a few shooting courses this what I was issued by the training NCO's. Never a hiccup.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geo57:
...I can get a great deal on Winchester Bonded 180 gr. JHP for carry purposes...

If you're talking about PDX-1, I've been reading about the various .40S&W loadings for a while, and it's rated right up there with Speer Gold Dot. That being said, it's substantially more expensive than Gold Dot, so the deal you get has to beat Speer in my book.

Also, there's an argument in favor of the 165 gr. versions from both manufacturers, which produce substantially more energy than the heavier loads. I've seen postings from members here who say their department-issued ammo is 180 gr, and some used to say 165 gr, and I don't remember why one was chosen over the other. The FBI went with the Speer 165 gr Gold Dots, for what it's worth.

If it's functional reliability that concerns you, they all should work well in a 229. I'd expect nothing less than 100% from any of them.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Every CPO Sig I've owned or handled has been very nicely turned out. Refinished when necessary and new sights installed when needed, new springs and parts throughout.

That being said - strictly my opinion - the P226 is not a great gun in .40 S&W. No failures or anything like that, but just unpleasant to shoot. Again, just my opinion, Sig has made exactly two guns that are really decent in that caliber. One of them is the 2340 Sig Pro, and the other is the P229.

If you're wanting a CPO to save a little money, I wouldn't lead you off that track. I've bought two and shot a bunch, and they're all great. However, if you're dead set on the .40, I would steer you towards the 229.

Typo?

I don't think I have met many people that would say a 229 is a softer shooter than a 226?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mrapteam666 & newtoSig765, this is the load I'm talking about - WINCHESTER Q4369 SPECIAL GOVERNMENT OVERRUN "THREE LETTER" AGENCY 40 S&W 180 GR. BONDED JHP. Not labled as Ranger. It comes in a fairly plain white & gray box.

On another forum a poster wrote : " I have had great experiences with the Q4369. A prominent name in the ballistics world posted on another site that he personally contacted Winchester and was told it was the exact same round as the Q4355 - the only difference was the boxes. I emailed Paul Nowak at Winchester a while back and was told essentially the same thing. I'm sure ammo retailers are not thrilled with it, because there is not as much room for mark up in a cheaper product. From the end user's standpoint, it's a huge bargain. "

FWIW, I too am a fan of the Speer Gold Dot and run them in a newly acquired Beretta 92FS.

Posts: 52 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Every CPO Sig I've owned or handled has been very nicely turned out. Refinished when necessary and new sights installed when needed, new springs and parts throughout.

That being said - strictly my opinion - the P226 is not a great gun in .40 S&W. No failures or anything like that, but just unpleasant to shoot. Again, just my opinion, Sig has made exactly two guns that are really decent in that caliber. One of them is the 2340 Sig Pro, and the other is the P229.

If you're wanting a CPO to save a little money, I wouldn't lead you off that track. I've bought two and shot a bunch, and they're all great. However, if you're dead set on the .40, I would steer you towards the 229.

Typo?

I don't think I have met many people that would say a 229 is a softer shooter than a 226?

Not a typo.

In 9mm, I wholly agree with you, the 226 is a pussycat. But in .40 - in my opinion - the P226 is dreadful.

Perhaps unrelated, but I experience similar performance in other brands. For example, I shoot the G23 and G27 better than the full-sized G22.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I got a CPO 1911 Tacops in .357 and it was barely fired, at worst. Excellent shape and has functioned perfectly. Night sights are still bright, too.

Where did you get it from?

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
bionic,
I always have wondered why guns are like that.
I had a 2 tone hk usp in 9mm that was a real snappy gun. my shooting friends thought the same.

I bought a 40 cal.hk usp from cdnn,and that was way softer and more pleasant than a 9mm.May be springs??

I have a question sig guys.Are there any dealers that sell or have a big inventory of cpo sigs>??

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a 40 cal.hk usp from cdnn,and that was way softer and more pleasant than a 9mm.

HK USP Compact in .40 is one of the softest shooting .40s I've ever experienced. Again, I have no explanation as to why, but it is.

Another one that surprised me was the S&W99 (Walther) in .40 cal. Probably the worst handling gun I've ever shot. Ever. Really surprising because that whole P series of Walther guns in 9mm is just superb.

I've chased rabbits on barrel length, twist rate, bore axis, you name it - and the only universal truth I've found is this: bionic should not buy .40s! Big Grin

There are some that handle it very well, but that's another thread. Sorry for the drift.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
There are 4 dealers in my area,who are real pro active about buying and selling just about anything firearm related.

All 4 will not trade buy or deal with any 40 cal. pistol,unless they can get them really cheap.The guns just dont sell.

I see lnib 239 dak guns that are beautiful,all kinds of 40 cal guns in many different platforms.

But the guns just sit there.i have thought about calling firestorm,storm lake,any barrel maker and get a list of the 40 to 9mm barrel with cost.
To see if it would be feasible.

I know of 3 2 tone 239 elite sas full custom shop guns,that are gathering dust.

226 40 cal tac op guns,.etc.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
tuumunz,

Why aren't they selling?

Are they asking too much?

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.40S&W has fallen out of favor and people and govt agencies are moving to 9MM. Cost is one reason, I guess.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 229r CPO in 2008 in .40. My understanding is they are refurbished at the factory with all new springs throughout etc. never had a problem with it.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Where did you get it from?

Found it on Gunbroker maybe a year ago. Auction by The Attic in Minot, ND. They had two or three and I called them up directly to purchase. The lady on the phone chose me the one with the brightest NS.

Great transaction.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
A few years back a member of this forum had a number of P229 SAS .40 CPOs for sale. I bought one (my first CPO purchase) and was so impressed with the pistol I bought another one a week later. To this day, these are the best shooting Sigs I own.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
summit has them for $339 now,

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
summit has them for $339 now,

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/

I went this route. Use the money you saved to buy a barsto 9mm conversion barrel.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
tuumunz,

Why aren't they selling?

Are they asking too much?

Im a home based dealer. Do a lot of gun shows.

I will keep several of each model in 9mm. But I usually only keep one 40sw in each model. I also dont take 40's in on trade. They just dont sell.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post