Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPO Sigs Login/Join 
posted
I am also strongly considering buying a CPO 229 or 226 in .40 S&W and would love to hear as many first hand experiences from you owners of them ( .40 only please ) as possible. Have you had any functional issues, have you had to return it, did you find them refinished over hard used pistols, the number of trouble free rounds you have through yours, etc. ?

Many thanks.

Posts: 52 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
SIG CPOs are generally a good buy. They can range from used police trade-ins to unfired display guns; you just never know. All are warranteed by SIG.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine has a little wear on the grips and a scuff mark on the slide. Shoots fine. Shoots better after a trip to GGI.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a 229/.40 that I picked up in 2008. It was in virtually new shape, the night sights have just faded out this year, and the trigger is as good as many that have been to professional smiths for tuning.

In my case, the CPO was a GREAT deal.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
They are a good deal. Just be aware that some might look brand new but might be refinished. Within the last few years Sig has started refinishing CPO’s by re-anodizing frame’s and nitroning the slides and barrel. My last two CPO’s had older carbon steel barrels with the small shallow writing that were completely black button similar to new Sig barrels. Barrels of this age should be blued with brushed look on the barre hood. I also noticed nicks and dings on the magwell and trigger guard underneath the anodizing. Either way they are still a good buy.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The market is stuffed with great 229/226 .40 pistols. A CPO may be a better deal but, with prices where they are, take your time and buy the pistol that you want....CPO or not.

Posts: 203 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CPO 229/.40 I purchase in 2013 I great. I have no complaints. Sometimes I think it is better than the 229 .40, I got in 02. The CPO is tight and absorbs much of the recoi. I am very happy with it.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a cpo at one time but it was years ago and they were priced as used guns are. It seems now, they are close in price to new from what I have seen lately. If you are looking to get a .40 Sig, the market is flooded with them right now and they can be had cheap. For example, I bought a used 229 .40 pistol on gunbroker for less than $350.00 shipped w/ffl costs and it looked brand new inside and out. I would check around first before buying a cpo,depending on the price of course.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daytwadog:
The market is stuffed with great 229/226 .40 pistols. A CPO may be a better deal but, with prices where they are, take your time and buy the pistol that you want....CPO or not.

Yep, .40 SIGs are cheaper than dirt.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I have a Two tone 229R I got about 2007 and cosmetically you can't tell it from new. Internally only thing was smilies on the barrel.

It is a great shooting gun. I sent it off to sig right after I got it for the Sig Service Plan. New springs and night sights and whatever else they find wrong.

I still have it and am not planning to let it go any time soon, I have the 357 sig barrel for it and that's what is in it now and it is one of my routine CCW pieces.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What are CPO Sigs selling for these days?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Every CPO Sig I've owned or handled has been very nicely turned out. Refinished when necessary and new sights installed when needed, new springs and parts throughout.

That being said - strictly my opinion - the P226 is not a great gun in .40 S&W. No failures or anything like that, but just unpleasant to shoot. Again, just my opinion, Sig has made exactly two guns that are really decent in that caliber. One of them is the 2340 Sig Pro, and the other is the P229.

If you're wanting a CPO to save a little money, I wouldn't lead you off that track. I've bought two and shot a bunch, and they're all great. However, if you're dead set on the .40, I would steer you towards the 229.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Not sure what a lot of places want, but our last batch of CPO 226s were in the $450 range

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Not sure what a lot of places want, but our last batch of CPO 226s were in the $450 range

I see it hasn't changed much since I bought my CPO P229 .40 S&W back in 2005 for $450. I foolishly ended up selling it a couple years after owning it.

Do you get CPO P229s in often?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sig pre-owned over 15 years ago. it was a Disply weapon. I will not part with that P220st

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two of the three 229's, I own are CPO's that I bought off gunbroker. (The other one, I bought from a forum member)

They both looked brand new. One of the two had a small light line on top of the slide but it is only on the surface.

The only fault with one of them is user/buyer error, I paid a little too much for it but it runs like a dream especially with the .357 barrel I bought off a forum member.

I am looking to get a P226 in .40 with the E2 grip some day but right now I am looking for a 2022.

I think they are a great deal.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don't have a cpo I have a used two tone p226 in 40 cal. Love it. Accurate reliable as are all sigs. Try gundeals.com or gunbroker.com for your cpo. Good luck

Posts: 86 | Location: Tx | Registered: July 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My CPO Sig is a M11A1. Was rated Excellent condition. Was unfired. Came with a phosphoric standard lever and sear. I put in a SRT kit and all is good. $679.

Posts: 113 | Location: N.E.Ohio | Registered: August 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the 229.

Posts: 52 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
.That being said - strictly my opinion - the P226 is not a great gun in .40 S&W. No failures or anything like that, but just unpleasant to shoot. Again, just my opinion, Sig has made exactly two guns that are really decent in that caliber. One of them is the 2340 Sig Pro, and the other is the P229.

I would add my favorite .40 the P239! I don’t disagree with your assessment of the other two.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post