SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Upgrading Sig P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrading Sig P226 Login/Join 
posted
So, I've owned a Sig P226 for about 12 years. Probably my favorite pistol. I've put about 6-7000 rounds through it, maybe more.

Talking to a fellow Sig owner at the range and griping about some of the Sigs we can't own in Mass. Told him I'd love to get one of the new 226's with a short reset trigger. His response - just buy the new trigger and drop it in yourself.

So, that's got me thinking, maybe I should send the gun back to Sig and get a couple of upgrades. I've basically done nothing to the gun since I bought it. So suppose you had 2-300 to spend, what upgrades would you have Sig do to your stock 226. Short reset trigger? (Definitely want to do this). Enhanced action package? (Is it worth doing if I'm going to add a SRT?) I assume new springs are long overdue, although clearly I don't need the custom shop to install new springs. Anything else? Don't really want night sights. I can probably get at least a couple of thousand rounds out of my barrel. Don't do anything and just buy a new pistol. (keeping in mind that options in Mass are limited and a new pistol would definitely explode my $300 budget)

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I would do the short trigger and a SRT kit. You said you don't want night sights, maybe new springs, grips & screws?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
ACTION ENHANCEMENT PACKAGE
Our factory gunsmiths hone and polish critical surfaces to lighten and smooth both the double-action and single-action trigger pulls taking your SIG SAUER to the next level without voiding the factory warranty. Includes Feed Ramp Polish.
$179.95*

SHORT RESET TRIGGER PACKAGE
Retrofit your P220, P224, P225, P226, P227, P228, P229, P239 and P245 with the new SIG SAUER Short Reset™ (SRT) sear and safety lever parts. The SRT reduces the trigger reset travel by about 60%. The SRT upgrade is perfect for both competition and combat shooters who want to reduce their follow up shot times. Price includes parts and labor. Original parts returned with your firearm.
$99.95

FULL SERVICE PACKAGE
Detailed stripping and complete and thorough cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear ( trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, recoil spring) and any needed small parts. Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. (Not available for 1911-22 or Mosquito models).
$84.95

Slightly over $300 budget, but well worth it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the AEP on my MK25 and like it alot. The DA/SA are much better. I was surpised on much better the SA felt with only .5 lbs taken off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were mine, I would order a $20 Sig spring kit, and the $50 SRT kit and install it myself.
While I had it apart I would toss in an 18 pound Wolff hammer spring, put fresh springs in the mags, and install Houge G10 grips. As a final touch, I would add the Grayguns trigger and solid guide rod.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
I would do the short trigger and a SRT kit. You said you don't want night sights, maybe new springs, grips & screws?

Why would you recommend the short trigger? Unless I missed it, OP said nothing about the physical trigger itself giving him problems. He wants the SRT.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
AEP - I would not do it. Sent it to Robert Burke instead, and get the real action enhancement from the master.

AEP from SIG is hit-and-miss. Take it from the guy who had both hit and miss. Even when it was a hit, it was just a little better than original.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
AEP - I would not do it. Sent it to Robert Burke instead, and get the real action enhancement from the master.

AEP from SIG is hit-and-miss. Take it from the guy who had both hit and miss. Even when it was a hit, it was just a little better than original.

Worse then when sent in? Not much improvement? I was extremely happy with my tiny sample size.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:

Why would you recommend the short trigger? Unless I missed it, OP said nothing about the physical trigger itself giving him problems. He wants the SRT.

My bad, I read the part of the post where he said "buy the trigger and drop it in yourself" and thought he meant the short trigger. That's why I also recommended springs and the SRT kit.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Worse then when sent in? Not much improvement? I was extremely happy with my tiny sample size.

Hit = was just a little better than original.
Miss = what the heck was that? Did they even do anything? Got to admit, I was too busy plus lazy to bring it up at the time.

Q

posted Hide Post
Is this the correct Robert Burke?? Thank you.

robert@thesigarmorer.com
972-342-2717

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Is this the correct Robert Burke?? Thank you.

robert@thesigarmorer.com
972-342-2717

That would be the man.

Q

posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great responses, thanks guys. Didn't know about Robert Burke. Did some googling and it sounds like he's got a great reputation. Definitely something to consider.

Of course if I go with him I'm going to have to figure out how light I'd want to go on the trigger. Not a carry gun, but also not a competition gun. Just something I'd take to the range and enjoy shooting. But the faster and more accurately I can shoot the more fun I seem to have. Smile

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post