SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What to do with old tritium sights?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with old tritium sights? Login/Join 
posted
I have a set of sights I removed from a P220, 2010 manufacture date. They still glow, so what can I do with them? I am pretty sure I can't just throw them away. Any ideas?

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m sure someone has posted something on the Internet about it, but I don’t know any reason why they can’t just be thrown away. It’s very unlikely that the lamps will release the tritium before it decays completely, but even if it doesn’t, the gas would dissipate almost immediately. Further, I have a statement from one company that I give to my students claiming that one would have to be exposed to the amount of tritium in 10,000 lamps inside a 10 × 10 foot room to reach the danger level.

If you wanted to in order to avoid violating some landfill regulation, you could use an awl or something similar to pierce the lamps yourself. Do that on a windy day outdoors, and I suspect you’d be exposed to less radiation than by picking up a piece of granite rock.

Or you could just offer them up as a karma here; someone would probably be interested.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You could start a charm bracelet.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send them off to be relamped?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Turn them into mood rings? Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
You could start a charm bracelet.

Or earrings for your wife or daughter?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If the level of radiation isn't that bad, then there's got to be a way to set them up so that you can pee accurately in the dark.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
The only NRC requirements, I am aware of, pertain to manufactures and distributors not users or buyers. The largest use of tritium is likely in exit signs.

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for proper disposal methods if you wish to be environmentally friendly.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I swallow them to kill the polyps in my large intestine.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. As intrigued as I am by Il Cattivo's idea, I'm not sure how the whole attaching the sights would go. Of course the I'd need to attach a weapon light to positively identify the target and...I am going to go with Sigfreund's suggestion and karma them off.

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Karma them off if they still glow. Somebody might want them and not have the means to purchase a set.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. Since I worked with X-ray and some radioactive cobalt in a previous life I'm going to look into this.

I did find these statements on Trijicon's Web site:

What is tritium?

"Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. It is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas that reacts with the human body in the same manner as natural hydrogen. Beta rays from the tritium hit phosphors to create the glow you see. Tritium has a half-life of 12.5 years, which means that in that time the lamp will be half as bright as it originally was."

Is tritium harmful?

"According to documentation by health physicists in statements on file at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), it would take the simultaneous rupture of 10,000 of these small glass capsules in a small room 10 foot by 10 foot to potentially constitute a radiation health hazard. For this reason, customers need not be concerned about the potential risk of the night sight system. Furthermore, our front sight is 0.018 curies and the two rear sight dots are 0.018 curies each. A complete sighting system is 0.054 curies. This is less than many tritium watches, which have up to 0.200 curies or roughly four times as much radioactivity. In addition, the weapon is not as close to the body, and in less constant use than a watch."

I did learn that fire exit signs contain a much larger quantity of tritium and that many of the sign resellers have facilities to safely recycle depleted signs.

I E-mailed Trijicon about tritium sight disposal and will post their reply when received.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karma or sell them off. They're still a good set of metal sights. Somebody will want them.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonanacroin:
Thank you for the replies. As intrigued as I am by Il Cattivo's idea, I'm not sure how the whole attaching the sights would go. Of course the I'd need to attach a weapon light to positively identify the target and...I am going to go with Sigfreund's suggestion and karma them off.

^Superglue. Wink

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just use them as regular sights.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Just use them as regular sights.

Or dab some "Glo-On" paint on them....

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd happily take them off your hands, assuming a P6 will accept the same sights as a P220. My P6 has plain steel sights without any dots at all, and I find them difficult to use.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You get more radiation from the sun. They are a sealed source.

There is also such a thing as radon naturally occurring.

The public does not understand radiation or nuclear physics.

There are plenty of people walking around who of had a PET scan or a thyroid ablation that are hotter than a fire cracker. Guess where that isotope goes; down the toilet. It's all about energy and half life.

Posts: 141 | Location: Fort Myers, FL , USA | Registered: March 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Karma. One mans junk, is another mans treasure.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a few responses back from several tritium sight manufacturers regarding old sight disposal:

XS Sights - "End user is exempt from regulations in the US. You can just chuck it in the trash."

Meprolight - "Dispose of the old tritium sights in the trash."

Truglo - "Legally we are not able to advise you on tritium disposals."

Trijicon - They will issue a return authorization for return of old tritium sights. There is a link for return authorizations on the Trijicon Web site.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post