SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P30L Compensator or Extended Ported Barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P30L Compensator or Extended Ported Barrel Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know of a effective compensator or extended ported barrel for the HK P30L? Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
John Wick seemed to like it. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
John Wick seemed to like it. Big Grin

Unfortunately, KR never shared his with anyone. I did find a wieghted faux comp that looked like the JW one but it just adds weight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I find the comp on my Glock 19 to be helpful won follow up shots. Never tried one with a P30L. I do know it will be a pricey project. $230+ for the threaded barrel and $60-100 for the comp. also know that most of these small pistol comps need to be red loctited in place...so once it’s on it’s not really coming off unless you want to heat it up with a heat gun and take some vise grips to it. Otherwise your comp will be coming lose with every range session. Have to get used to cleaning your gun without removing the barrel.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an EFK barrel for the P30 but not the P30L. It worked great but did not notice a major improvement as the 9mm is a pretty light round. HKparts.net has a nice weight-looking comp. for sale. I also had one of those and it really adds to the overall look and feel of the gun. I just couldn't get used to the pistol, not the gun's fault by any means, as it was the most comfortable pistol to grip. I just a problem with the mag. release and not being used to it.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
A good compromise might be an extended potted barrel and the Hkparts.net barrel weight. I always felt that extended ported barrels look stupid so the barrel weight would conceal the extended barrel.

Like this

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have micro-comp on my P30L and let me tell you it’s unreal. The recoil is so tame. Pistol tracks so flat and man can I run it fast.

Posts: 76 | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
A good compromise might be an extended potted barrel and the Hkparts.net barrel weight. I always felt that extended ported barrels look stupid so the barrel weight would conceal the extended barrel.

Like this

Nice picture and idea. 2 questions please. Who sells the ported barrel and how much recoil reduction does it approximately produce?

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
That looks like an EFK barrel and not sure, it’s not my pic I borrowed it from the interwebs. I would assume that the ports coupled with the added weight of the match weight would def help with muzzle rise. They also make a barrel weight that’s steel and a brass one I believe for added weight and muzzle rise reduction.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Also be aware that even with micro comps some anemic 9mm rounds might not cycle that well. I have the primary machines comp on my G19 Roland Special and factory Walmart Federal 115gr 9mm has really anemic ejection. They just tumble out of the gun. Stronger loads eject perfectly fine. You can mess with recoil springs to try and adjust this but in my experience finding the right ammo is easier.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Effective? I’m not sure how you would define “effective”? It’s a 9mm Pistol. It’s not like it is a recoil hog, especially in the P30 which is very soft shooting.

When I often ask the “why” question, I get a bunch of it shoots “flat” answers. But no one can really quantify what the comp does on a 9mm service pistol. Then I point out that with the P30 or 2.0 I can pretty routinely run .15-.17 splits at 10 yards without the comp and it simply won’t make you faster because the gun is “flat”.

From there, the conversation turns to deflection on why I care “how anyone else spends their money” and my original question is never answered. Because I can put it on the timer and show you that it isnt. The timer just does not lie.

In a 9mm Service pistol, how do comps make you “faster”, when in fact they do zero for the most important factor of trigger control or sight alignment?

I think the answer most universally is that it looks cool and tactical, Or “John Wick had one” which wasn’t even true as the original P30 was a barrel weight only.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Effective? I’m not sure how you would define “effective”? It’s a 9mm Pistol. It’s not like it is a recoil hog, especially in the P30 which is very soft shooting.

When I often ask the “why” question, I get a bunch of it shoots “flat” answers. But no one can really quantify what the comp does on a 9mm service pistol. Then I point out that with the P30 or 2.0 I can pretty routinely run .15-.17 splits at 10 yards without the comp and it simply won’t make you faster because the gun is “flat”.

From there, the conversation turns to deflection on why I care “how anyone else spends their money” and my original question is never answered. Because I can put it on the timer and show you that it isnt. The timer just does not lie.

In a 9mm Service pistol, how do comps make you “faster”, when in fact they do zero for the most important factor of trigger control or sight alignment?

I think the answer most universally is that it looks cool and tactical, Or “John Wick had one” which wasn’t even true as the original P30 was a barrel weight only.

So with my “Roland Special” the ports are mostly on the top of the comp. as far as recoil or impulse into the hand there isn’t any real difference. I do see a difference in muzzle rise. I can quantify this subjectively. I have RMR’s on 2 G19’s. One with a comp one without. The trigger system is otherwise identical. When I shoot the comped gun the dot on the RMR barely moves. I can get accurate shots off quicker then compared to the non-comped gun. With 115gr ammo it is similar to my Ruger 22/45 with Reddot. I haven’t actually timed myself so this is just subjective to me.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a compensator on my Beretta 90two. It's essentially a ported weight, so the weight makes it soft- and flat-shooting, and the comp keeps muzzle flip down as well ,adding to the flat-ness of the shooting.

The only problem is that I haven't found one I like for the HK P30's. I don't like thread-on comps as much as rail-mounted. but the Match Weight's open top design looks dumb to me. I'd love to see one made like the one on my Beretta, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Here is the difference between my two custom 19’s, the second one is compensated. The muzzle flip is noticeably less.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
As I keep saying, I keep hearing people try to use "muzzle flip" as a metric in a 9mm pistol, and it is a red herring. The comp does nothing to the operation of the pistol. The sight is on target, the gun discharges. The sight lifts slightly, and as soon as the gun goes back into battery it is back in the same spot. If the comp does zilch to speed up the process (probably a red herring as well because to prep/reset/prep takes longer than the time for the gun to cycle), the whole "flatter" argument does nothing in a 9mm pistol. The sights return when the slide closes on a non-comp gun. That being the case, "flatter" is nothing.

Comps don't make you go from shooting .17 splits to .10 splits. Nor do they speed your transitions up. "Flatter" in a 9mm pistol does nothing for speed shooting, and it is the tactical pet rock on a defensive gun. THERE IS NOT A METRIC TO PROVE THAT COMPS ON A 9mm PISTOL ACTUALLY HELPS. Which is my point. On a non-comp gun the sights are back when the slide goes into battery. If you are not speeding that time up, nothing is faster.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
All I know is that when I shoot those two guns I can re-acquire the dot quicker on the comped gun vs the non-comped in between shots because the sight picture isn’t being disturbed as violently. I don’t know anything about splits as I don’t and have never timed anything except hot pockets in the microwave. I wasn’t shooting for speed in that video. Partially because I wanted to show the full recoil impulse of each shot and also cause a shell bounced off the wall and hit me in the eye when I’m shooting the second gun. You can tell because I just paused shooting for a second lol.