SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger P89DC - possible to fit an ambi decocker? Only has one on left side.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger P89DC - possible to fit an ambi decocker? Only has one on left side. Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Just curious if it can be done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger P89DC - possible to fit an ambi decocker?

Don't understand the question. This model already is equipped as such.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone has ground it off previously or it has the right side piece from a double action only installed.

Either way, all you will need is the right side lever.

Can you post a pic of the right and left sides?

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google P89DAO and see if the right side of a dao looks like the one you are looking at on the right side.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check for parts at Numerichs, as they have parts for just about any gun. While you are at it, I would replace all the springs as well . The only spring that is difficult to change is the magazine release spring because of the mag. release itself. I did it on mine but man it is a pain in the rear. Also, it helps to take pictures of the insides of the frame and slide for orientation/reassembly. It is not hard to do but well worth it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I had to check, I have one P89dc with an abindetrous decock lever and one with it only on the one side.... but the one with it only on one side the pin goes all the way through... so I guess it can be either way. As mentioned above... go to Numrich and see what you can find... I'd leave the mag release pin and spring alone. ... that is a burger... to get back together.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I suspect this one I saw is quite early with the 303- serial prefix (1992 or 1993?). I’ll do some more poking around and see if it’s worth adding the right side decocking lever.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I found this thread which may shed some further light on the possibility to make this work.

RB

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Checked again with the LGS. The subject pistol has a slot on the right side, so it does appear that it’s doable. I’ll check with Numrich on what part is needed (appears to be just the right side safety/decock lever).

Haven’t quite made up my mind if I want it, but hoping I’ll have a couple extra tools sold soon which will fund it entirely.

RB

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You might want to check on that early serial number... the first P89 models took a slightly different magazine... I have one and figured out how to modify it... but that actually takes removing the mag disconnect and taking off about 2mils from the top of the part that holds the magazine in.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I don’t mind fiddling, but it seems like more right now than I want to do.

I think I’ll just wait to find a newer (Mid 2000s) and avoid the fuss.

Thanks for all the help and direction, guys!

RB

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Do the research first... the ones that took different mags were just the first year I think. Decock lever might not be that big a deal.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"