SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Older Sig Navy 06 or 07 ?????? and ICE 229 Gov gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Sig Navy 06 or 07 ?????? and ICE 229 Gov gun Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a Navy contract 226 from Buds the gun has the rail thats kind of round on the bottom ,DE on the frame and U 858 214 and also has uid sticker with E26R-9-NSWG and its also on the box . What do I have here ? I bought it new around 06 or 07 . and also Buds had a contract over run ICE 229 DAK with laser etched bar code 9mm , with night sights 06 or 07 gun I think . Buds said both were Gov over run guns .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I picked up a Navy contract 226 from Buds the gun has the rail thats kind of round on the bottom ,DE on the frame and U 858 214 and also has uid sticker with E26R-9-NSWG and its also on the box . What do I have here ? I bought it new around 06 or 07 . and also Buds had a contract over run ICE 229 DAK with laser etched bar code 9mm , with night sights 06 or 07 gun I think . Buds said both were Gov over run guns .

Strange. According to the serial # thread, yours should be a 2009 gun. But, whatever. It sounds like a genuine Naval Special Warfare Group (NSWG) P226. Have pics?

Calling Modern Day Savage. Answer the bat phone, please. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will try and check the date . I had sold a USCG issue 40 cal DAK and it was shipped in a plain brown box . Then the 226 Navy and the 229 DAK Ice gun came up for sale .

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Calling Modern Day Savage. Answer the bat phone, please. Big Grin

Can I get some theme music? Big Grin

quote:

triaxle you posted briefly about this gun last year in another thread, but we really don't have much info to go on, and quite honestly I'm not sure I have anything useful to add.

I agree with 12131 that this gun is probably not from '06 or '07, as he correctly points out that the SN range is closer to '08 or '09...also, note that the NSWG model designator didn't appear until about this time frame..the earlier designators were still commonly used in '06/'07.

The NSWG designator switch came in about the time that SIG reportedly switched away from the corrosion resistant finish on the "Navys". I've wondered about whether the corrosion resistant internal parts actually were discontinued because of the variations in the coatings color and texture that appeared. There were fairly significant variations apparent, and variations in which parts actually were coated and, in some cases, I wonder whether "Navy" owners from this time frame simply didn't realize that their particular example was coated because of these differences.

However, there is no doubt that the corrosion resistant internal parts were eliminated from the SIG factory "Navy" features listed around this time, and later reintroduced sometime around the next designator.

The UID sticker didn't appear commercially until the MK 25 variant...but I've never been able to ascertain when the NSW actually started using a bar code UID sticker inventory system, so I would think that if your "Navy" is an actual contract over-run, then it would be possible that SIG attached a UID sticker to it prior to shipping to NSWC or perhaps NSWC personnel attached the sticker after receiving the gun... or some unscrupulous salesman could have simply attached a fake UID sticker to your gun. Short of SIG actually stating one way or the other I'm not sure there is any way to know for certain.

The SMG Lee armory pics did show some sort of bar code inventory tracking label in use at that time, but I lost my several of my "Navy" notes in a computer SNAFU several years ago and for the life of me I can't recall when his pics were posted. If I had to guess I would say around the '08 time frame.

I'm not aware of any contract over-runs being made available to the public in '08/'09 time frame but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened.

triaxle, you might want to see if you can detect any phosphate finish on your Navy's internal parts.

It would be interesting to see pics. Could you post pics of the gun, the barrel, the mags, internal parts, and the SIG factory box and the box label?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do know that this 226 was out before I ever saw any UID labels , and the take down leaver , slide lock , and right side of mag release and locking block are like a gray type finish . I did see SMG Lee posts and this label looks like the ones on some of those 226 in the pile of them . This gun is not a MK 25 looks close but diff rail and the grips have a little more texture . The 229 ICE gun is marked on the box ICE and Sept 09.

posted Hide Post
I looked and looked for the box , found the 229 DAK , Ice gun box . and I just remembered that this box for the 226 was behind my truck seat for a few years . I brought the box in to the garage some time ago. The box has E26R-9-NSWG-UID then P226 9 Nitron fixed DA/SA UID Aug 14 2009 . the mags are still unopened in sealed plastic , box and papers and white grease tube .

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to get a Navy P226 a while back. They wanted $1500 and the serial was around U 928 from what I can remember. Had the serial stamped on the frame, slide, and barrel.

Perhaps the NSWG is a variant from a different production run. Does the one you bought from Buds have DE stamped on the slide?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just looked got this thing out again after it was packed away . It has DE on the frames right side and below is U 858 2xx. all controls are dull phosphate in color . Buds use to get some over run contract Sigs back when I got the 226 and 229 ICE . I was just looking at it and even the mag release is gray looking on both sides of the gun .

posted Hide Post
I did stop at a gun shop here in PA today , I took a quick look in the used holster box and found a mint Garrett kydex holster that has a real thin leather lining for 226 rail .30 bucks I took it home . It has a perfect fit , and rides just about right on the waist.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, all this talking and asking for info, and no pics. Not cool. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Not sure if triaxle has image hosting abilities, but the $1500 pistol looked like this:

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does look like it with same color tone on all leavers and controls . I looked up SMG Lee photos and their was a 226 on the pile number U 775 564. sorry about photos I just turned 60 and I am not a computer guy. My frame has the DE and frame made in Germany , but its not on the slide between Sig and the anchor.I do know back when I got this 226 and 229 buds would small amounts of over runs . I also had a 229 USCG DAK 40 came from fact in Plain card board brown box with 1 mag , etched laser bar code on slide .

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Not sure if triaxle has image hosting abilities, but the $1500 pistol looked like this:

It may just be an optical illusion...but is that a long slide "Navy"? What can you tell us about this particular "Navy"? Box/label, mags, sights, markings/engravings, corrosion resistant internal parts, COA or other paperwork??

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
sorry about photos I just turned 60 and I am not a computer guy

Tell you what..email me the pics of your "Navy" and I'll post them for you.

posted Hide Post
I will work on this request.Mine a U 858 2xx with the DE on the frame . I have the box and all papers and labels ex mags that shipped with it , Gun has Navy UID on box sticker and one on the gun .

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looked through some old e-mails.

It is a triple serial German proofed gun with night sights. DE stamped on the frame and slide.

Never got to see it in person, so I didn't see the model number or when it was made or any documentation.

I don't remember any QR code being mentioned.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looked through some old e-mails.

It is a triple serial German proofed gun with night sights. DE stamped on the frame and slide.

Never got to see it in person, so I didn't see the model number or when it was made or any documentation.

I don't remember any QR code being mentioned.

Thanks for the info and the pic!

I'll take that as a "negative" on the long slide. There is motion in the pic and its difficult to make out some detail. The slide finish and frame finish seem to be more contrasting then typically seen. Also, it almost looks like a MK 25 accessory rail profile.. do you recall the time frame in which this gun was offered?

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It has the Sig (non picatinny) rounded rail on the dust cover. Most of the Navy models have a 4 inch barrel and few have the barrel that is 4 1/2 inches or so. It was being sold as new and unfired at the time.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has the Sig (non picatinny) rounded rail on the dust cover. Most of the Navy models have a 4 inch barrel and few have the barrel that is 4 1/2 inches or so. It was being sold as new and unfired at the time.

???
I thought P226s, except for the X5/X6s, all have 4.4-inch barrel?
When you talk 4-inch barrel you are in the P228/P229 territory.

Q

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

???
I thought P226s, except for the X5/X6s, all have 4.4-inch barrel?
When you talk 4-inch barrel you are in the P228/P229 territory.

Exactly what I was thinking...I'm not aware of any P226 other than the X series exceptions you pointed out, with any other than a 4.4" barrel...this is why the above picture struck me as odd...but apparently its extra length is just due to viewing a blurry and uncentered picture causing the illusion...

...or maybe .38supersig was including non P226 "Navys" when he commented on barrel lengths?