SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 2.0 M&P 380
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 2.0 M&P 380 Login/Join 
posted
Has any one seen the new M&P 380 in the wild? I would like to by one if the brothers here could recommend the purchase. My hands are getting a bit of arthritis and racking slides is getting difficult. So what say you?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M&P shield .380? Or are the making a full size M&P in .380 that I haven’t seen?

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I was able to try the M&P 380 Shield EZ at LGS factory shoot this spring. Definitely check it out as I found the slide super easy to rack, the trigger was nice, and low recoil. IMO Smith and Wesson did a fine job designing a semi automatic pistol for those physically challenged due to strength, arthritis, etc. Link below to a good review by TTAG.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...80-shield-ez-take-2/

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume that the OP is talking about the S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ. I will paste, with edits and additions, something I previously posted on another forum.

The version without the thumb safety is what I now would recommend to:

(1) The person who is or will be an occasional shooter only who wants “a gun” for self-defense;
(2) A person who takes too long to make follow-up shots with a more powerful firearm and who does not want to devote the time to learn to do so;
(3) A person who wants a fun plinker more powerful than a rimfire;
(4) A person who will not carry a heavier gun; and
(5) A person who cannot handle a more powerful gun for whatever reason.

It really is easy to rack and easy to shoot.

I would not recommend it to someone unwilling to go out and shoot it with a bunch of ammo before burying it in the sock drawer.

I have tested one with multiple types of premium factory ammo (Critical Defense, Hornady Custom, HST, Hydra Shok, PDX1, and Buffalo Bore), with WWB and Remington ball, and with handloads, and it has been reliable except for a couple of very early glitches with ball. Chrono velocities are in line with published specs for the premium ammo, unlike mini-380s with sub-3 inch barrels. It will sling 90 grain premium rounds at a pretty decent rate of fire, and it will shoot a Buffalo Bore 100 grain standard pressure hard cast flat nose bullet through 8-1 gallon water jugs.

Early glitches mentioned on gun forums include a tendency of the thumb safety (on the models so equipped) to engage the thumb safety inadvertently during strings of fire when not intending to. S&W has issued a safety advisory on that and will do some curative work on earlier guns. The second issue is an occasional ejection of a live round along with an empty case. That seems to happen when there are only a couple of rounds in the magazine. I don't recall that one happening to me.

It may not be for the average gun forum pistolero type, but I would not insult the person holding one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cheyenne,

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The M&P 380 Shield EZ is almost old news now. Several of us here own one. I think it is a very good gun at its price point. It is easy to operate and comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Local shop has had a few and they have been selling very well. I might get one with out the thumb safety. Nice gun.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It works. DeSantis makes a holster (the same as for the M&P 22.) As far as limitations go, it beats the shit out of a "tactical" knife. Many guns are "better." If this one works for you, go for it. I have one with 8 mags. On a bad day, 8 mags is all I can handle. On a good day, I shoot my Sig P250 with large mags. Same for carry. Arthritis sucks, but the SW MP EZ makes it a little better.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks brothers, I think I will visit my local toy store and see if they have one on hand or order for me.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah the shield EZs are great for those that have a hard time racking other firearms. We sell a bunch of those as well as Walther Pk380s to people that have a hard time racking firearms.

And they should be readily available at most places that choose to carry it. There shouldn’t be any kind of shortages in them.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're out there. I took an elderly colleague with several health issues out to a shop last month to look at the 380 EZ...he bought it, and a red dot, holster, cartridges...he loved it in the store. They had only one in stock that day. Now to get him to the range soon

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Sounded good for a short time. Was going to ask if it was a locked breech pistol or a blowback 380. But than I read this. No go bang sometimes. smith-wesson consumer advisory. Ammunition that produces a high level of felt recoil can cause the manual safety to move from the fire to the “safety on” position during firing. I've never had a high level of felt recoil from a 380. Are you F kidding me. How about saying we engineered to weak of manual safety spring.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/m...ez-consumer-advisory

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I called the toy store and had them put one away to be picked up on Tuesday. Now my next question is what 380 to be used for self defense? And what bullet weight? What say you again?

Officers lives matter!

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Sounded good for a short time. Was going to ask if it was a locked breech pistol or a blowback 380. But than I read this. No go bang sometimes. smith-wesson consumer advisory. Ammunition that produces a high level of felt recoil can cause the manual safety to move from the fire to the “safety on” position during firing. I've never had a high level of felt recoil from a 380. Are you F kidding me. How about saying we engineered to weak of manual safety spring.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/m...ez-consumer-advisory

I elected to get the model with no thumb safety. Seems pretty redundant anyway with the grip safety. Its a pleasant shooter that has eaten a number of different loads.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Ok, so I called the toy store and had them put one away to be picked up on Tuesday. Now my next question is what 380 to be used for self defense? And what bullet weight? What say you again?
For 380 ACP, I prefer rounds with the 90gr XTP JHP bullet - Fiocchi Extrema or Hornady being my top choices.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...llow-point-box-of-25

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...llow-point-box-of-25

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 90 grain offerings were the mildest to shoot and allowed for rapid follow-up shots. For me, the Hornady Critical Defense and XTP Custom and the Federal Low Recoil Hydra Shoks all chronographed out of my gun in the 972 to 986 FPS average muzzle velocity range. Hornady also offers something called the American Gunner cartridge which is said to be loaded with a 90 grain XTP round but in a different cartridge case then the Custom. It costs less than the Custom. I have not had a chance to try it. Also, no experience with the Fiocchi mentioned by RHINOWSO.

Be sure to note when comparison shopping that some premium .380 ammo comes in 20 round boxes and some comes in 25 round boxes, which affects the cost per round. The 25 round boxes get you 3 magazines' worth and an extra and the 20 round boxes only get you 2-1/2 magazines' worth of ammo.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked thru my Ammo and found several boxes of various 90 gr hollow points left over from my Walther 380 which my wife likes. The toy store had 3 boxes of 90 gr ball which had been on sale and got the 3 at the sale price (13.95) so I picked those up for break in. Now I just need so time to go to the range. BTW my pistol has the safety but S&W said if your pistol was built after April 4 the problem has been fixed and has a free call for those built prior. So I guess I am GTW.

Officers lives matter!

posted Hide Post
In today’s paper was a flier from Academy Sports and had the 380 EZ on sale for $329 plus tax. Checked it out and the manufacturer date was in March. Almost passed on it until I noticed no safety on frame. Just the grip safety. Now I have twins, just not identical twins.

Officers lives matter!