SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best way to get into a RDS on pistol?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to get into a RDS on pistol? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
This is obviously a growing trend. I want to get into a pistol with a RDS on it. Primary use will be range usage to see if I can get use to it. Then eventually possibly carry. Since it could maybe one day be a carry piece. I prefer a mid size gun.

The 320RX is on the short list. But I know there is Glock MOS, M&P Pro Core, XDM OSP, Q5 Match, Custom glock build (Seems the most expensive.)

What seems to be the "best" as subjective as that term is, easy way to try the platform?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to respond to "best" on any project without criteria. But having converted to RDS's on just about everything I'd offer the following:
I would start with a pistol that offers some method of using different optics. Since you have limited experience you probably will as you gain experience have optic preferences, as there are real differences between the choices. This means the factory adapter plate guns are much more useful than a dedicated optic (like the sig) or a custom cut slide.
I would focus on what optic you want to start with as they vary -a lot- in price and capability and the good ones cost the same as the gun.
I would get a setup that allows co-witnessed iron sights as that is necessary if you plan to someday carry it.
Personally I think the best of the factory systems is the MOS one and I'd use an G19MOS. This has the most factory support as well.
But the Core system is pretty well supported. The others in your list I'd avoid at this point given your goals.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is still an overall preference for custom milled slides since they allow the lowest optic mount coupled with the user's choice of red dot. Guns with factory milled slides and adapters fall into the generic type and optic specific type mounts. Glock's MOS works with a wide variety of optics while Sig's RX limits you to their optic. The Sig offering probably sits a little lower, too, but I'm yet to handle one. Obviously with a custom milled slide you're married to the optic you start with where a solution like Glock's is a little more future proof. Until or unless the manufacturers can standardize a mounting solution, there are comprises with all options.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I wanted to do the same thing and ended up going the Glock route. Full disclosure here, I standardized with Glock for all my carry/HD guns so it was kind of a no brainer.

With the MOS system you can try different optics with different dots and find what works for you. If it turns out you don't like the dot you can take it off or sell the gun. Someone is always looking for a used Glock. If you like it then going custom isn't a shot in the dark. If you go custom first it may be harder to move the gun if you don't like it based on gun make or dot choice.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you have a Glock (for example) you are already familiar with, you can choose between getting a MOS slide or a ZEV style slide. The key thing is selling all of the parts you aren't using. Getting a custom barrel allows you to sell the complete upper as such. This also allows you to get a Glock 22 style slide and having the possibility of using conversion barrels for .40, 357Sig, and 9mm.

I was able to buy a Glock 21 with a Burris and convert it to .38 Super. Total out of pocket cost was $400 because I picked up a few Kriss Vector mag extensions later. Big Grin

Posts: 9145 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Great input guys. Keep it coming!

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Buy a used M&P for $400. Send slide to Primary Machine for $150 worth of mill work and refinishing. Hard to do it much cheaper than that. I’m $800 into my carry optics rig including the holster, 5 mags, and a deltapoint pro.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best bang for your buck to try an optic mounted on a pistol is a P320 RX. They can be had for the mid $600 range and you will get a good idea if you like a red dot on a pistol or not.

Be careful, it can become addictive. My first one was a full sized P320 RX a year ago, that made me pick up a P226 SAO RX, then I picked up an RX X-change kit for a 226 SSE. Recently I sent off my 5th gen glock 17 to get it milled for a RMR. After having multiple red dot systems I really love the Romeo1. I have put a combined 5k rounds though all 3 RX's and I have not had one problem. My RMR is only a month old and I have yet to have a problem with it. I have recently messed with some of the vortex venom and I really like them too.

There are a ton of good options, you cannot go wrong either way.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold DeltaPoint on my G34. Had a Trijicon RMR on it previously but long story short there were issues. I now have the RMR on my G19 and much happier with it there. Both pistols are Glock MOS systems. I shoot the G34,G19 each week. No issues the way I have them set up now. YMMV..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I’m following this one - as I’ve had the same inclination to try it out, thanks to aging eyes and realizing just how easy the RDS is on my AR-15 and Ruger Mk II.

I like the auto-on feature of the DeltaPoint. Any reason not to go with the 7.5 MOA triangle for a G26 EDC?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having both the RMR (dot) and the Deltapoint (triangle) I thought it would be confusing to learn and use two systems since I’m now north of 60 years old. Answer: its not. I find using the Deltapoint Triangle (on my G34) easy especially at matches. Up close, anywhere the triangle is, the shot hits home. At 15 yards plus, I place the apex of the triangle where i want the shot. I still shoot poorly against most competitors but that’s because of me not the pistol, reflex sight or match game.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to set it up a bit cheaper, check out Outer Impact. They sell an adapter that goes into the rear sight dovetail that will accept most common RDS's. So no milling required. I have one on my 2.0 M&P with a Vortex Venom, and it works just as well as the Romeo setup on my P320 RX.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Least cost method, buy a used Ruger 22/45 with the attached top rail for the RDS.

1) the mark III's are plentiful and inexpensive even new my LGS
has them marked way down, everyone wants the mark IV (traded mine)
2) 22 is cheap to shoot,
3) mags are cheap for Ruger
4) Ruger Mark series 22 pistols are fun, cheap, and you can modify
them all you want.

I just traded my Mark 3 on a Mark 4 Tactical to attach my silencer
and it's a hoot, probably order the volquartsen accurizing kit for the Mark 4 as I had it on the 3 and liked it.

All the others are good suggestions, finding a MOS ready Glock will probably be easier than an MOS 320 right now. I have the MOS on my G40.

The only issue with an RDS is your eyesight, if you have astigmatism you may find that the dot is a star and not as easy to use.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
^ I had the MKIV already but it was purchased with the plan to test a red dot. Since it was a fun gun, I could go with a cheaper Vortex Venom rather than a RMR or DeltaPoint and if I didn’t like it or it failed, not such a big deal. It has worked great all around!

I really like it and have a Glock G40 that will get an RMR install with the MOS system.

If you want a serious caliber rather than a 22, then I’d go Glock MOS. Probably a G19 with a 3.25 MOA RMR. I second the suppressor height sights and clean, prime, torque to spec and blue Loctite the screws on the RMR and mount parts.

Oddly, my two favorite pistols to shoot are the MKIV 22 and the G40 10mm.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Keep the advice coming guys. It's funny a few months ago I was ranting in the "What's your deal" section about $2K & $3K glocks.

Caught myself today on GunBroker looking at $1499 Glock. Was milled wearing a RMR and had stippling already done. Funny how quick things can swing. Big Grin

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Keep the advice coming guys. It's funny a few months ago I was ranting in the "What's your deal" section about $2K & $3K glocks.

Caught myself today on GunBroker looking at $1499 Glock. Was milled wearing a RMR and had stippling already done. Funny how quick things can swing. Big Grin

I've got my eye on a P320 X5 full size with Romeo 1, and am looking up places to mill my G26.

And wondering / worrying about the rest of the safe full - once I go red dot, will I want to go back to normal sights?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best bang for your buck to try an optic mounted on a pistol is a P320 RX.

I agree. Or buy an X-Carry/X5, as adapter plates for most optics can be purchased from:

http://shop.springerprecision....ory.sc?categoryId=89

or

http://www.egwguns.com/pistol-...for-sig-220-229-320/

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Also thought maybe do a Polymer 80 build. Brownells has RMR Glock Milled slides for $185. For suppressor height sights and slide upper parts. Another $100+ Barrel for $150 +/-.

I could have a nice custom rig for $600-$800. Plus RMR. Who knows...?

posted Hide Post
I would love to do this on my H&K USP Tactical. I'm not sure of there's a plate or replacement rear site base that will work.

Posts: 92 | Registered: February 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thought about the Poly 80 route, then found a Salient BLU frame, and a Dragonfly slide, then a box fluted barrel, and an RMR and... Dang did that ever get pricey. I'm an opportunist, so it took a few months to find everything on sale. If I had to pay retail for that build, I wouldn't want to think what that would have been. Yikes!

Posts: 9145 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post