SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    15 yard .22LR ammo accuracy test (informal) Ruger 22/45+Burris FFII
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15 yard .22LR ammo accuracy test (informal) Ruger 22/45+Burris FFII Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
I rarely shoot paper and am not very good at shooting tiny groups. My rests are typically improvised and wobbly. I can't hold super steady and I get bored and rush my shots. I recently installed a Burris FFII on my MKIII Ruger 22/45 using the burris mount that replaces the rear sight and I wanted to confirm it had held zero, as offhand groups appeared a little high/right.

So I shot a few 5-shot groups at 15 yards, standing from a tripod rest (resting the butt of the pistol on the rest, which I know you're not supposed to do but that's what I could manage). I shot at least two groups each with CCI SV, CCI Blazer, CCI MiniMag RN, Winchester Varmint 36 grain HP, Remington Thunderbolt, Remington Golden Bullet, Aguila Super Extra HP, and Federal Champion Value Pack 36 grain hp. There were some surprises but remember this is a pretty subjective, non-scientific test by a non-bullseye shooter. I shot the first group bullseye style one-handed, and it was 8 shots of CCI SV at about 2 and a half inches if I remember (see pics below).

Anyway, nothing particularly special but I thought there might be some interested in my results. I measured groups with a cheap digital caliper, from the very edges of the grease rings, and subtracted .22" for an approximate center to center group size. I am not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it, but that's what I did. I fired as quickly as I could get a relatively steady hold of the dot in the center of the target pasty (the small black pasters are .61" in diameter if that is of any use). Probably about a shot every couple-three seconds. I have the stock trigger and sear (minus the disconnector safety and plus a Clark bushing) in this pistol right now, which measures 3 lbs 8 oz on my Lyman digital gauge. It's not a great trigger, though it breaks pretty clean (what little creep there is is very smooth) and I don't like the hook at the bottom. I much prefer the VQ trigger I had on it for 15,000 rounds but I'm trying to figure out a misfire issue and have swapped stuff around. The VQ trigger and sear and plunger pull at 2 lbs 2 oz which is much nicer.

Smallest group of the afternoon was a 0.41" with Aguila Super Extra, but the CCI Minimags and Remington Thunderbolt both printed a sub 1" group also. This exercise kinda made me understand how people get excited about chasing smaller and smaller groups on paper.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
for any interested here's the video introduction of the pistol with the Burris mount and FastFire II.

https://youtu.be/c437VbHOsH4

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interesting (and objective) report. I shoot Aguila Pistol Match in my Beretta 87 Target. I really like this ammo. It’s very accurate, and the plain lead bullet is firmly clenched in the case. At 925 FPS, it’s at the low end of standard velocity. The low chamber pressure means that the breech stays cleaner than it does with higher velocity rounds. I even like the aroma of the Eley primer. Smile (Aguila is owned by Eley,)

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
While not a pistol I have tested countless types of .22 for accuracy out of my Savage.
Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity holds the rank for consistently having the smallest groups at 50 yards so your results with it don’t exactly surprise me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – I bought a Caldwell “Pistolero” bench rest. It’s certainly not in the class of the high-end bench rest offerings, but it works well enough for me. It’s moderately-priced, and it fits into my range bag if I remove its cradle (easily removed and reinstalled).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very nice! My ammo testing has been dedicated to finding what works best in my Mark II and IV in colder weather, as my targets are generally 8” steel plates.

This summer will be better dedicated to accuracy and from informal indoor shoots, the Norma TAC 22 and CCI SV seem to do well and I have yet to test Federal AutoMatch at all. The Norma was not a reliable ejector in the MKIV and did just okay in the MKII in the colder temps. For me, I’m willing to give a little accuracy up to make the gun work on the clock.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post