SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Firearms Cleaning: How Picky Are You?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms Cleaning: How Picky Are You? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Probably a stupid question...

What do you guys consider lubing a gun? Just a wipedown with oil? Wipedown, plus lube on rails? Wipedown, plus lube rails & moving parts?

I usually run a bore cleaner, boresnake it then spray everything with gun oil and wipe with patches until clean. Then I grease the rails, reassemble and store it.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Field strip and quick wipe down every time I shoot. Detail cleaning/ scrubbing whenever I don't have anything better to do, or when they're going to be stored for a significant amount of time.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run boresnake thru bore 2-3 times no matter how many rounds.
Take down slide...Barrel and clean off oil lube and dirt/grit on rails.
Thoughroughly clean barrel throat and firing pin face on slide.
Re-lube all, including barrel exterior....with a light lube, and wipe off excess.
Wipe down magazine to remove excess oil.
Takes all of about 10 minutes...what's the big deal?
Would NOT rely on dirty gun for CCW....but live in the tropics so heat and high humidity are always issues too.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
Run boresnake thru barrel 2-3 times no matter how many rounds.
Removed slide...Barrel and clean off oil lube and dirt/grit on rails.
Thoughroughly clean barrel throat and firing pin face on slide.
Re-lube all, including barrel exterior....with a light lube, and wipe off excess.
Wipe down magazine to remove excess oil.
Takes all of about 10 minutes...what's the big deal?
Would NOT rely on dirty gun for CCW....but live in the tropics so heat and high humidity are always issues too.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I did a "live" function test after cleaning, that would require more cleaning. Wink

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
How often do you go to the range?

That usually has an effect on your cleaning habits.

And vice-versa.

It was one thing when it was after a shooting session with my buddy, sitting around on the range, kibbitzing and cleaning on nice days. It was quite another when it became a chore. So I ended-up shooting less. A lot less. So, they don't get as clean as they did, but they should be getting clean enough, and they're not just sitting in a safe.

quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:
If I did a "live" function test after cleaning, that would require more cleaning. Wink

Depends upon "how clean is clean." As somebody wrote, earlier (paraphrasing): "If I can't depend upon it to go *bang* when it's a bit dirty, then it's not the right SD handgun for me, anyway."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Here tis.
Arc hits the nail in the head.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...080055544#6080055544

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It was quite another when it became a chore. So I ended-up shooting less. A lot less.
I have two guys I work with and have invited them to the range before - but they 'rarely have the time', because they have to allow for 2-3 hours to detail strip their AR15s immediately after shooting, USMC style (both prior Marines).

I don't think they shoot more than 1-2 times a year, MAX.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I will shoot my carry gun at the range and <GASP> load it and carry it home, UNCLEANED! Eek

Wink

I've done that several times. But then I clean them when I get home. Wink

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I "clean" them after almost every range session. However, "clean" to me means a field strip, wipe down and re-lube and a pass or 2 with a bore snake.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Every firearm that I own , (as of this moment),is as clean, or cleaner than brand new.
On top of that I lube them ready to run...as If my life depended on it. (Oh it does)

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLEANDEAN:
Every firearm that I own , (as of this moment),is as clean, or cleaner than brand new.

Of course, it's not lost on us that your screen-name is CLEANDEAN.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I clean after every range session, but I don't spend a lot of time do it. I wipe it down/inspect parts/ striker function, run a bore snake though or couple passes with a brass brush, re-lube, function check. Same for every gun, rifle, shotgun pistol etc.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Nah, I just keep them lubed up with grease or oil. Eventually they get so nasty that I start feeling guilty so I show them some lovin’

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the poll and the follow-ups, everybody!

I noticed a lot of you use bore snakes. I've used them on my shotguns, but never really thought to do so on my rifles or handguns. I've just ordered Vipers for everything except my Reach Out And Touch Someone rifle.

I think that, going forward, the Hoppe's and repeated bore brushing will be reserved for the .22 cal things, when I shoot lead. And the Big Ugly Gun.

Or when I get a wild hair and decide to really clean the bejesus out of something Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If I've put 100 or more rounds at a time through a gun, I'll at least quickly strip it, run a brush through the barrel (especially the chamber), inspect and apply or re-apply lube as necessary. Except for the one(s) I'm carrying, I might not do this right away. I do not believe in routine detail (down to every last part) stripping. This isn't necessary unless you dropped it in a mud puddle or something. I also dislike forcible cleaning with abrasives (e.g., burn rings on the front of a revolver cylinder) or scraping, e.g., carbon buildup in an AR. Lubrication is more important than perfect cleanliness.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post