SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Firearms Cleaning: How Picky Are You?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms Cleaning: How Picky Are You? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I used to shoot with one of my best friends. He was anal about cleaning. I learned to follow his example, which had the unfortunate side-effect of somewhat discouraging me from shooting. A fellow club-member at his club used to tease him about how he spent more time cleaning than shooting. That guy claimed he cleaned his guns "when they started malfunctioning." I've heard armourers say excessive cleaning can do more harm than good.

I've relaxed my standards a good bit.

I got to wondering what the collective does.

Question:
How often do you clean your firearms?

Choices:
After every range trip, no matter the round count
After every so-many-hundred rounds or so
As visual inspection indicates it's needed
When it starts malfunctioning
You're supposed to clean them?

Question:
How Clean Is "Clean?"

Choices:
Patches come out white & every surface, nook and cranny spotless
Kind of the "80/20 rule": Patches come out a bit gray, surfaces wiped clean, get any build-up off

Question:
Do you do a live function test after cleaning a self-defense firearm?

Choices:
Yes
No

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well let's just say I wish all my weapons were stainless. Makes cleaning the dark stuff easier.

Four my hunting rifles, they're cleaned each time I return home. All others, after a hundred rounds; give or take.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
But don't you have to clean it again after a live fire check...? But then it's clean and you have to do another check...

Then clean again, then check again, then clean again, then check again.... It would literally NEVER END. Big Grin

Thankfully I don't subscribe to clean after 1 shot or test fire after cleaning. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I clean carry / HD guns (if shot) in the next couple of days after shooting them. Other guns probably every 3-6 months unless a malfunction occurs (rarely if ever). Usually clean or check / lube everything in July and December.

I like shooting. Loading ammo and cleaning are done to ensure I can shoot, not because I enjoy either. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Well let's just say I wish all my weapons were stainless. Makes cleaning the dark stuff easier.

Four my hunting rifles, they're cleaned each time I return home. All others, after a hundred rounds; give or take.

True that! I probably go overboard on cleaning. I clean until white after every range trip. Also never had a malfunction directly after a cleaning so IMO no need to live fire.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'll clean my range guns when I feel like it but my EDC guns are cleaned after every range trip.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Get a Grendel P-31. It is a PITA to clean, but it still gets done. From what I've read, I must have the only one that doesn't jam. Could it be because I clean it? Hmmm...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty fussy because that's how I was taught. Clean and oil after every use, no exception.

Dad knew what he was talking about. My firearms are well cared for.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot as often as I should, but when I shoot... I tend to take 1 or 2 guns and shoot them a lot. Until my skills start deteriorating. Usually a couple thousand rounds.

So, they then require cleaning. I selected the "when they need it by visual inspection" option though, as several of my guns require cleaning or attention even when not fired. Daily carry gets inspected every time I pick it up. Truck gun, every time I'm leaving the local area or have a chance I might need it. House guns, when I think about it...every 3-4 months or so. Safe queens...when I'm going to shoot them, not very often. When I clean a gun, generally I do a through cleaning. At least once a year I pick a few guns (usually 2 at a time) to break down completely and run through the ultrasonic cleaner, solvent baths, hot oil baths, etc. Parts get examined and polished, and anything showing wear gets a part ordered. This is generally when I manage to break or launch a spring or pin across the garage and order parts. My wife's VP9 has been in pieces for the last year because I did that, and then ordered a bunch of purple razoo snazzy parts. They're all sitting in a box waiting for attention. Hope it's all there, and I also hope I can remember how it all goes together. I have a majority of my firearms are stainless, so a lot of my stuff gets deep cleaned in the ultrasonic machine.

As for a live fire test....no, I like to carry my guns clean, so that would defeat the purpose. Every gun gets function tested after a cleaning...so what is the purpose of a live fire? If it passes function test, and you just inspected it for wear, proper oil/grease, etc....what is to fail? Exposure to corrosive elements and other fire residue can only cause problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I clean after every time I shoot them. Most of my guns are hunting guns and go a good while in between uses. I don't want any corrosive materials sitting in there.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Clean it when you first get it. Wipe it and re-grease it every once in a while - like when you have nothing else to do.

That's all.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I clean when visually necessary or when relubrication is needed. I clean to be clean, not to pass a white glove inspection and I do a dry function test after reassembly.

The only time I go beyond this is when I do a full strip to the frame. Then its clinically clean, but that happens maybe once per year.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am very picky. If it gets one round through it, it gets cleaned.

I know there are some who do not agree it is necessary, and that is fine, to each his own.

I have never had a failure due to a gun being too clean.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Been meaning to say something.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am pretty anal when it comes to cleaning. I clean each gun after each shoot, which is at least 100-300 rounds. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and I clean until it is very clean and then lubricate it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean my guns after every range session, no matter how many rounds are fired, or every 1-2 months, whichever comes first.

I do try to clean things as best I can, but I don't necessarily have to have patches come out as white as they did when they went in.

Carry guns get checked for lube every couple of weeks and get relubed as needed.

I see no reason for a live fire function test after cleaning.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:

Been meaning to say something.

LOL!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm an ex Marine & it's taken me a very long time to get it into my head that guns don't have to be Marine Corps white glove rifle inspection clean to function properly.

After range trips I run a few Hoppes or some type of CLP soaked patches through the bore, wipe off the dirty oil & grease, then relube. Occasionally I'll detail strip a gun & give it a really good cleaning, but not nearly as often as I used to.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not nearly as anal about it as I used to be with no ill effects seen. Clean them after a few hundred rounds or so.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean after every shoot. And it serves as an inspection check to ensure all is well.
To what standard do I clean?
Clean the surfaces and fresh lube. Nothing fussy. And a few specialized cleaning tools makes the job easier. Pencil test afterward.
Rotate out my carry ammo every 3 months and shoot it up.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch some of these answers seem like lots of time wasted. I have two schedules.
My carry gun I do clean periodically. Not because it needs it from shooting (I only shoot it to facilitate a regular carry ammo swap) but because I attract lint, dirt, and hay like nobodies business (I live on a farm) and lots of it seems to end up in the gun.
My competition guns I clean when I think its required to avoid stoppages. That generally means they get cleaned every couple of thousand rounds. I will toss some lube on them pretty often, but not an actual cleaning. I've got a pretty good idea how much gunk is OK as I've run them all till failure to see how far they can go. And its a long time.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post