SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    base plates for P224s
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

base plates for P224s Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
The area that would need to be cut through is a thicker portion of the base. I think a drill press would be easiest tool to use. One would need to drill several holes next to each other.

I don't have a press and don't want to try it free hand.

And that could weaken the base and make it subject to failure like the eBay base.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
It is your Ted...shoot me an email and I'll get it out to you.

bjjennings1954@outlook.com

Got it today, thanks.

Expect XD on Tue

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post

First pic shows the difference between the floor plate Summeratthelake sent me for a full capacity 229 mag (semi circle cuts in each side and a rather smooth detent at the end opposite from the loop for threading the spring thru) and one from a 10 rd 229 mag I had (on the right). It has a little more pronounced detent and not quite as far back so the spring does not have to be bent as far to keep it on the floor plate, ( bend per link SIGM4 posted here). See 2nd pic.

The 10 rd floor plate appears identical to the one used in the link posted by SIGM4.

I also bent the spring part that goes into the butt plate of a 224 10 rd mag so the part of the spring coming around from the spring loop end of the floor plate lies flat on the floor plate. Additionally bent the end of the spring that sticks up so the first loop does not catch on it, but rides over it as the spring is compressed. See 2nd pic.

Gonna try this approach first as I think it might provide better support / retention for the bottom of the spring.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Got the XD butt plates today. Very easy to trim with utility knife. Smoothed the cut edges with a fine jewelers file.

The XDs do fit very tightly on the base of the mag, spreading slightly. I see no problem with this as they are "rubbery" unlike the eBay item.

I did have to file a little bit out of the hole in the XD to get the floor plate knob to snap in.

Noticed no difficulty in fully loading 10 rds into the mag, but I do use a loader for the last 2-3 rds

Also noticed I had to really hit the bottom of the mag to get it to snap into the gun. The XD is a bit "taller" from the slot where the mag lips slide into up to its "top" that fits around the mag.

Just wondering if others with the XD mod have seen similar things.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
They can be a bear to get started, just have to watch carefully while starting.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
They can be a bear to get started, just have to watch carefully while starting.

No doubt about that

Banned
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today and put about 50 rds 357 SIG out with the pinky 10 Rd mag. About 50/50 target / carry. First mag I went 9 + 1, rest 10 + 1. No problems at all.

BTW my 2nd try at trimming I put the XD on the mag and used the back of the mag as a guide for trimming with a utility knife. This was a lot easier to get a good trim as you can rest the butt plate on a hard surface and hold onto the mag body. It also helped in getting the back of the butt plate over the back of the mag. Since the XD spreads a little it tends to bend the bottom so it hits the back of the mag rather than riding over it. The extra length flexibility seemed to help.

So I'm much more pleased with this mod than the eBay one. And it does give better control with my pinky better supported.

Banned
posted Hide Post
I had purchased a 40 barrel for my 224 before they quit making them, but never fired it. Decided I'd give it a try.

Started loading some mags to take with me, an OEM 10 Rd, an OEM 12 Rd, and the pinky 10 rd.

Well no way could I get 10 40s in the pinky even using an uplula loaded. Tried both Win and Amer Eagle 180 gr fmj. Even slightly dented a round pressing down with the uplula.

Tried 357 again just to make sure nothing had shifted. No problem with Win 125 gr fmj or Speer 125 gr Gdhp which I had used in my test.

Anyone else see this 40 problem??????

Banned
posted Hide Post
Since the XD fits so tight on the base of the mag, I'm thinking that it is unlikely to come off with no floor plate button or detention for the spring like the OEM.

I'm thinking of using the spring I bent to get it to lay flat on the floor plate with no floor plate, just resting on the XD

Any thoughts on this?

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Even though I have put on and taken off the XDs from a few mags, the XDs are still difficult to slide on and off. I agree with you, I don't think they will come off, even under harsh usage.

I didn't use any floor plates on mine because the fit is so tight.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even though I have put on and taken off the XDs from a few mags, the XDs are still difficult to slide on and off. I agree with you, I don't think they will come off, even under harsh usage.

I didn't use any floor plates on mine because the fit is so tight.

Do you have a detention in the XD to hold the spring in place?

Can you load 10 rds of 40 with no floor plate?

Did you modify the spring in any manner as I have done?

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have the XD baseplate, trimmed just like these pics, on my 10 rd mag (357sig) and that is what I carry in it. No spring mods, it gets through the 10 rds no problem, baseplate goes nowhere. Additionally I carry 2 of 12 round extended 224 Sig mags. If it ever got to the point of needing more the 10 rds that mag would be dropped, all it needs to do is 10 rds.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
I have the XD baseplate, trimmed just like these pics, on my 10 rd mag (357sig) and that is what I carry in it. No spring mods, it gets through the 10 rds no problem, baseplate goes nowhere. Additionally I carry 2 of 12 round extended 224 Sig mags. If it ever got to the point of needing more the 10 rds that mag would be dropped, all it needs to do is 10 rds.

Do you use a floor plate or just the XD to replace the OEM base plate?

I did not have problems loading 10 rds of 357 with a floor plate, but could not load 10 rds of 40.

I have removed the floor plate and with just the XD, no problems loading 10 rds of 40.

BTW I too carry 2 of the 12 Rd mags, with a 10 Rd + 1 in the gun. 357 usually.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I didn't do any mods to the spring or XD base. The unmodified spring can make it even more difficult to get the base on, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

I use them on 9mm mags and have no more difficulty loading the 12 rounds than I did with the old bases.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't do any mods to the spring or XD base. The unmodified spring can make it even more difficult to get the base on, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

I use them on 9mm mags and have no more difficulty loading the 12 rounds than I did with the old bases.

Thanks

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted H.

Just the XD base, everything else is OEM.

I will see if I can put 10 rds of 40 in mine, it has always held 357.

Edit Add:

I got 10 rds of 40 in mine. I could only get the 10th one in by using my UpLULA, could not do it with my fingers. After that I was able to pull out the 10th and get it in by finger. But there is a sweet spot the UpLULA hits and #10 goes in easy after that. No UpLULA needed for 357, must be the taper that makes the last one easier.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I said I didn't do any mods, at least none of the additional mods you did, after trimming the bases so the mags would seat in the pistol.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted H.

Just the XD base, everything else is OEM.

I will see if I can put 10 rds of 40 in mine, it has always held 357.

Edit Add:

I got 10 rds of 40 in mine. I could only get the 10th one in by using my UpLULA, could not do it with my fingers. After that I was able to pull out the 10th and get it in by finger. But there is a sweet spot the UpLULA hits and #10 goes in easy after that. No UpLULA needed for 357, must be the taper that makes the last one easier.

I got 10 rds of 40 in mine with no floor plate but also needed the uplula.

I now think the best mod is everything OEM and just the XD base.that's how I'm going.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted H.:
quote:

Thanks

10-7 Leo,

I think you missed my thanks for your first posted answer on this ????

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Ted, I saw your post. I just wanted to clarify my response so you didn't think I had somehow used the XM bases without any mods at all.

Sic Semper Tyrannis