SIGforum
base plates for P224s

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7940092924

August 22, 2017, 02:09 PM
gunnitt
base plates for P224s
m sorry if this has been answered but I couldnt find it. I just bought a new P224 to be my "bug" for my MK25 and was wondering if there are different base plates that have a pinky extension for the 224. I have the sleeve for my full size mags but a pinky extension like on some other small weapons would be nice. I thank you for all of your sage advise in advance.
August 22, 2017, 04:29 PM
SigM4
I am admittedly not an expert on the 224, but I have never seen an extended baseplate for them. That said this is a pretty good write up on how to make a 229 extension work on the short mags.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
August 22, 2017, 07:00 PM
Dav
I don't think you will find mag extensions for the P224 from aftermarket vendors. SIG does make an extended mag for the pistol in all three calibers. In 9mm, it increases the count by 3 rounds to 15. It also then exactly matches the grip length of the P229. I'd suggest working with it a bit more at the range. Might turn out that you don't need that third finger on the grip
August 22, 2017, 07:05 PM
gunnitt
Thank you, I have 6- MK mags and 4 sleaves, I was looking for a pinkie extension for the P224 mags and low and behold I found a guy that makes them and sells them on e-bay with a 100% rating so Im giving it a shot and bought 4, I will report on how they work. I really wanted the 224 9mm to match my MK-25 for a bag with a Scorpion evo pistol especially during hurricane season.
August 22, 2017, 08:36 PM
Guy1
There was a post on this a year or so ago on here-using a mag base maybe from Pierce I think and making a small change to it to add a place for the pinkey. I thought I saved it but am still looking for it. Anyone else remember this?
August 22, 2017, 08:53 PM
Guy1
Google P224 pinky extension and the post that was here is on Sig Talk. Images were on photobucket so they aren't there any more but they used a Pearce grip for a XD pistol
August 23, 2017, 07:20 AM
gunnitt
Thank you for all the information, I found it in a round about way. I thought it would have been more common I guess.
August 23, 2017, 07:35 AM
gfd37-3
there is an aftermarket grip extension on Ebay, search "Sig 224 pinky extension"

good luck!
August 23, 2017, 10:40 AM
tailgunner1952
I bought this one to try from source as indicated above. Working ok so far, not exact fit as I had to file a little bit of the outside edge/corner off for comfort. But better than previous attempts. I guess my wish for a factory made aluminum base adapter with a bit more extension is not going to happen. Holster is Ryan Grizzle's excellent work.

August 24, 2017, 12:41 AM
Mech
Gunnitt, would you mind posting the link to the eBay listing? I have two P224s and would be interested in trying them out as well. Thanks.
August 24, 2017, 07:36 AM
gfd37-3
the way I found it on Ebay is below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sig-Sa...f:g:OhYAAOSw-RFYsicX
August 24, 2017, 09:17 AM
Virginia sheepdog
The guy on ebay is the only one I ever foumd that you can purchase ready to go. Never got around to gettimg one though.
August 24, 2017, 01:34 PM
Ted H.
I just ordered 3 from the eBay guy.

Will report upon receipt.
August 24, 2017, 06:46 PM
Mech
Sounds good, I also ordered one to check it out. Seller shipped on the same day, would be very interested to see how it works for me.
August 24, 2017, 09:42 PM
WJR
quote:
Originally posted by Ted H.:
I just ordered 3 from the eBay guy.

Will report upon receipt.

Awesome. I have had those on my eBay watch list for some time. Look forward to the report.

WJR
August 25, 2017, 12:05 AM
dry-fly
There's a guy here on the forum that make mag extensions with a 3D printer. He got a website up recently... can't think of his name. That was s bunch of useless information Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
August 25, 2017, 12:07 AM
dry-fly
Ha ha!

https://www.nxgentactical.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
August 25, 2017, 06:16 AM
SummersAtTheLake
I used a Pearce PG-XD magazine extension and a mag insert for a 229 to lock in the mag insert to the extension.
Had to whittle down the extension to fit but it works great.
August 25, 2017, 07:18 AM
Ted H.
quote:
Originally posted by Mech:
Sounds good, I also ordered one to check it out. Seller shipped on the same day, would be very interested to see how it works for me.

Mine shipped same day as well. Supposed to arrive Tues 29 Aug
August 28, 2017, 12:29 PM
Ted H.
Got my eBay order today.

Installation was easy. A small thin wood tongue depressor was provided to release the mag spring from the factory base plate. Fit is very snug, which is probably better than the factory plate and spring snaps right into the retention slot, just like factory.

Fit into the gun is very good and snug. My pinky now has good support for my hand size, which I would describe as avg/med.

Obviously need to try at the range but based on the comparison to the factory plate where they fit the bottom of the mag next to the spring I don't anticipate any problems.

BTW I was a bit concerned that the slightly longer grip could be a problem for my Sneaky Pete holster designed for the 224. However it fits just fine with no binding that would interfere with easy draw.

I give it a "keeper" status.