SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help with a P239 in DAK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a P239 in DAK Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
One of my P239s has a DAK trigger and it seems there is a problem.... about half the time it will not trip the hammer on the first reset. Always will at the full reset position up not always on the first one... any suggestion?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I'm not a gunsmith, so therefore I would make a call or email Robert Burke the Sig Armorer. https://www.thesigarmorer.com/

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you mean that on the first reset, the hammer cocks back , ready to fire and then will not release? Or that the hammer does not cock back at all?

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to give a visit to the local Sig dealer to see if its something simple and if not have them send it in for you. I have have a 239 SAS DAK in .357 Sig which I carried for years and never had an issue and my 9 mm 239 SAS DAK with CT grips is my wife's bedside gun. These days I tend to carry lighter guns but the .357 Sig is my OWB gun usually when in the woods

Posts: 298 | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Check the trigger bar spring to make sure its in the correct place on the trigger bar and not bent.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My guess would be that the trigger bar isn’t resetting properly at the first reset point of the trigger return. In addition to checking the trigger bar spring to ensure the back end is in the notch at the bottom rear of the trigger bar, check the operation of the trigger bar.

Remove the right grip plate, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear, manually cycle the slide while holding the trigger back and slowly release the trigger forward.

As the trigger bar moves to the rear, it first rides up against the bottom of the horizontal tab of the safety lever. When it gets to the end of the tab, it rotates off and up, making a “click.” That’s the first, short, reset point.

As the trigger bar moves farther to the rear it will rotate off the stud on the hammer, making a second “click.” That’s the full forward reset point.

Dirt, firing residues, gunked-up lube, or something else may be preventing the trigger bar from resetting properly at the first reset point where it rotates off the safety lever. The gun might benefit from a full detail strip and clean, but it’s possible that the engagement tab of the safety lever is broken or damaged.

Can you post a photo of the trigger bar mechanism with the right grip panel removed?

Added: Not to suggest you shouldn’t seek help anywhere you can find it, but I would be slightly astonished if someone who was merely a SIG dealer would be able to provide much knowledgeable assistance. Although all DAK mechanisms are similar, the system was a rarity at the peak of its very limited popularity, and even then it wasn’t uncommon for the dealers selling them to not even know how it worked.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sigfreund... I'm going to try all that tomorrow .... on top of that I have a second P239 in DAK so I can compare the two.

If anyone decided to check me out with my previous post on here they would quickly realize I like the P239....I'm not really a fan of the DAK trigger, that is why I have 'several' others in SA/DA.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, comparing the one with the problem with one that doesn’t would no doubt give a much clearer picture than trying to follow my description of the process. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I looked at both and it was obvious what is going on.. either the trigger bar is not falling far enough down or the hammer thingy (best I can do) is not going up. and I think it is the trigger bar... Of course right now I'm going to try and clean and lightly lube the bar. Below is a picture of how it looks when the two have not gone into the right position..

Position 1: I is where the tab on the top of the bar is resting on the back of the 'thingy from the hammer"
Position 2: is where the tab should be...

(Sorry for the big picture and yes I see the debris)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted on the results of a good cleaning.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well........

Here is what I have figured out the 'problem' was..

It was Me!

When checking the reset I was easing the slide back forward into battery.... If I do it this way about every third time the trigger bar will not 'fall' into the right place...

But when I let the slide slam forward into battery like it would when firing the pistol the trigger bar sets it self right....

(oh, and all that debris you see was actually grease from the slide... someone here keeps telling me you put grease on the slides of these pistols)

Again, thanks for the help.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ah, ha: good to know. Thanks for the enlightenment.

6.4/93.6

— Plato