SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger MKI vs MKII Mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MKI vs MKII Mags Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I had my father-in-laws Ruger MKI refinished at Ruger's factory a few years ago, but he only has a single magazine for it. Will MKII Mags work in it or only the MKI?

Ruger Serial No.: 11-08288

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh boy... I'm pretty sure Mk I and Mk II mags are different.

Update: They are different, but a Mk II mag can be made to work in a Mk I: Ruger Mark I magazine????

I've seen Mk I mags for sale in the past, meant to take advantage, let it slip. I have two. I'd like more.

I'll post the question over in a Ruger forum at which I'm a member and see what I can find out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the Mk 1 mags have a 9 round capacity, while the Mk. 2's are 10 round. There are probably dimensional differences in them. Mk.1 9 round magazines are still available as a factory item from Ruger. Midway lists them:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...e-9-round-steel-blue

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the button you push down with your thumb to load the mag is on the opposite side on a Mk I, but you can switch the Mk II button around and use a Mk II magazine in a Mk I pistol.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Seems to me the button you push down with your thumb to load the mag is on the opposite side on a Mk I, but you can switch the Mk II button around and use a Mk II magazine in a Mk I pistol.

Correct, I actually did this about 2 weeks ago. It fits but its snug.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regularly use Mk2 mags in my Mk1 Ruger. I don't think that the Mk1 mags have been out of the house in years.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
You can turn the 9 rounders into 10 rounders as well. Trimming the bottom of the follower a bit will let you get 10 in there.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post