SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Range Report: Ruger LC9 (Gen 1) vs Glock 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report: Ruger LC9 (Gen 1) vs Glock 43 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I aquired a Ruger LC9 Gen 1 (Hammer fired DAO) from a member here in a trade and finally had a chance to get to the range today. I also rented the similar-in-size Glock 43 and shot them side by side and was pleasantly surprised by the Ruger.

I kept hearing about how the snap and recoil of the LC9 wasn’t pleasant and how awful the trigger was and I found that neither of these were true for me. The LC9 was a little snappy but not overly so and I loved the trigger, being a fan of DAO in general. I was dead on nuts accurate with it at 10 and 15 yards and overall was pretty happy with it. I did have one piece of brass get flung up right into my forehead and it left a little cut, but that was the only anomaly.

With the G43, I actually found it much snappier with more muzzle flip and accuracy wasn’t great, this was a real surprise to me! My Dad was with me and had been looking at a G43 and had the same exact experience and now wants an LC9 instead! Big Grin

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The LC9 isn't a bad little pistol, IMO.
Have one at the house, but don't carry it, partly the same reason I went with the P11 over the PF9, no 2nd strike.
Never found the recoil too sharp with it & the slide is easy enough to rack, that my wife has no problem with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an LC9 and traded it on an LC9S ......sorry I ever did that. The reality for me is that I liked the double action trigger better; especially on a self defense gun

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that I would prefer the hammer version LC9 as well. Members of the Ruger forum say that the bottom has fallen out of LC9 prices after the striker version was introduced and sold so well.

I have not found those $150.00 lightly used ones yet in my area.

Still looking though.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
As far as the piece of brass flying back and nailing me right in the forehead and cutting me, what would cause that?

I've been shooting pistols for 12 years now and never have had that problem. Some have flung brass over my head, but never right in my face. Kind of bothers me a bit that this LC9 would do that.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
As far as the piece of brass flying back and nailing me right in the forehead and cutting me, what would cause that?

Just lucky, I guess? Big Grin

Sorry, kidding. I've had hot brass eject and get stuck between my glasses and my face a few times. Got a neat little burn from one that stuck between the frame of my glasses and the spot between my eyebrows once. Thankfully that one didn't leave a permanent mark, lol.

If it sent it flying hard enough to cut you with the rim, that's some impressive ejection.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should try the S&W Shield in 9mm. I like it better than either, and I really tried to like the Glock 43.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Shield is a softer shooter but I prefer the Glock 43 in the single stack format..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
You should try the S&W Shield in 9mm. I like it better than either, and I really tried to like the Glock 43.

I'm all about flat pistols and that LC9 is pretty damn thin.

I was really surprised that I didn't care for the G43 and how lousy I shot it. I owned a G21 and G19 in the past and shot them very well.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a coworker that carries an LC9. It rusts closed constantly and I have to get it apart and oil it to get it back functional again.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I have the hammer fired LC9.
It took a few range sessions to be able to shoot it well. You're correct, it is remarkably accurate for what it is. Never hiccups and eats anything and the trigger is smooth. I've never had any rust issues with it.
It is my favorite pocket carry pistol.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

With the G43, I actually found it much snappier with more muzzle flip and accuracy wasn’t great, this was a real surprise to me!

Any accuracy issues don't lie with the pistol.

It's very accurate.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Any accuracy issues don't lie with the pistol.

It's very accurate.

I'm sure it was me, but I was disappointed seeing this especially after seeing how well I used to shoot my Glock 21 and 19.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Shield is a bit bigger. As guns get smaller, generally their shootability (however you want to define that) goes down. Of course, as guns get smaller, their concealability goes up. Every shooter/carrier has to pick their point of tradeoff.

quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post