SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Aging eyes and Progressive lenses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aging eyes and Progressive lenses Login/Join 
posted
I just want to pass on something for shooters with progressive lenses and have trouble seeing the front sight. I just got new glasses with the Varilux X series lens. I can now see the sights on my pistols! With the previous types of progressive lenses the sights were fuzzy and out of focus, now the sights are crisp and clear. These lenses are more expensive than other progressive lenses, but the improvement in general vision as well as being able to see the sights is worth it to me. I hope this helps others like me. I have nothing to do with any eyeglass company. I am just passing on my experience. My Nightmare Carry will now get a lot more rounds down range!

Posts: 4 | Registered: February 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Interesting. As my eyes are worsening with every two years, I'll need to check these out.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing Varilux glasses for years; never did have conventional bifocals.
The X sounds interesting, although I don't know if it would replace my dedicated shooting glasses with right lens on sights, left lens on target.

I tried some generic progressives once, when covered by insurance. Two sets of lenses gave me headaches, so I paid the premium and went back to Varilux.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing the sights isn't the only benefit. The new lenses had expanded the "intermediate" vision area too. I can see a lot more things in focus. I don't have to take off my glasses, or tilt my head to the ceiling to work on the computer. Being able to see my sights was an unexpected bonus.

Posts: 4 | Registered: February 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s funny because I just had an issue with Verilux lenses. Or rather not having Verilux lenses. I got lasik last year to correct my distance vision. So now all I needed were reading glasses. So since my insurance covers glasses I decided to get a pair with only the reading prescription in the bottom just like my previous progressive glasses. Only no prescription in the top because I no longer needed it. They made my prescription glasses 3 times before they got it correct. They finally looked at my previous sets of glasses and it turns out, I always had verilux lenses. Instead this time they gave me regular lenses that focus in a very narrow spot. Where as the Verilux gives you a constant focus band left to right. Even after me drawing them a picture and explaining to them what I was “seeing” no one picked up the problem. Not until I went back to the eye doctor and in about 5 seconds she knew what it was. Definitely recommend Verilux lenses if you need progressive lenses.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Tried progressives and won’t do it again. Could never get used to it. Fortunately my eye doc lets me take take a gun into his exam room where he’ll figure out a right-eye lens that focuses on the front sight.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Progressive lenses are a constant ever changing technology and one of the fastest moving things in optical right now. The new lenses are so good and there’s a lot of companies out there making good ones but a lot like buying a car, there’s different tiers. Do yourself a favor and just spend the extra money on the best tier.

I work in optical but have nothing to do with lenses but my relationship with Optometrists have me in several different kinds of progressive lenses and all work very well but all are top tier progressives. I have a couple pairs of glasses I need to get lenses in this year and I’m looking forward to getting them because I know the lenses I get this year will be better than the ones I got two years ago, the technology is moving that quickly right now.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I just mounted a RDS on my carry gun. Solves all my issues. Short, medium or long distance. All look the same & I only need my regular glasses. ( or I can go without them as well).

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 705 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear glasses for reading. Distance vision is perfect. My glasses are +2.50. I need them to see the front sight but then the target is very fuzzy. I found the answer was to use a weaker lens such as +1.50. I can still see the front sight and the target is much clearer. Try it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post