SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320c rx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320c rx Login/Join 
posted
I recently purchased the 320c rx and don't fully understand how to use the red dot sight. Does the red dot have to be right on top of the front sight? Or can you just put the red dot on any subject and fire and hit it? Any information would be helpful.

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As long as the dot is properly zeroed, you simply place the visible red dot on what you want to hit and press the trigger. The dot doesn't need to be centered, or lined up with the sights.

The sights are there as a backup. You should be looking over the top of the iron sights at the red dot floating in the optic's "window".

For example, in the below image, the shot should impact on the target's upper lip, even though the red dot isn't centered, and the iron sights aren't aligned.

However, as you're first getting used to the red dot, some people find it to be helpful to draw and present the handgun as you normally would, lining up the sights in the process, as an aid to learning to rapidly acquire the red dot. But with time and practice, you will transition to picking up the red dot without using the sights as a crutch.

And some folks are able to start training right away with just the red dot, without relying on the iron sights at the beginning. A proper, repeatable grip/draw/stance helps with this.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
While some red dots will come already sighted in. I would go to the range and shoot and see where it's hitting then made any adjustments if needed. I co-witness my red dots with my irons, if they go out I have my back ups ready to go. But then that's on a carbine at 50yd zero. I don't have any handguns with built in red dots. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarifiation. I will try this at the range.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
As long as the dot is properly zeroed, you simply place the visible red dot on what you want to hit and press the trigger. The dot doesn't need to be centered, or lined up with the sights.

The sights are there as a backup. You should be looking over the top of the iron sights at the red dot floating in the optic's "window".

For example, in the below image, the shot should impact on the target's upper lip, even though the red dot isn't centered, and the iron sights aren't aligned.

However, as you're first getting used to the red dot, some people find it to be helpful to draw and present the handgun as you normally would, lining up the sights in the process, as an aid to learning to rapidly acquire the red dot. But with time and practice, you will transition to picking up the red dot without using the sights as a crutch.

And some folks are able to start training right away with just the red dot, without relying on the iron sights at the beginning. A proper, repeatable grip/draw/stance helps with this.

posted Hide Post
Thank you. This is making sense now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drmark7777:
I recently purchased the 320c rx and don't fully understand how to use the red dot sight. Does the red dot have to be right on top of the front sight? Or can you just put the red dot on any subject and fire and hit it? Any information would be helpful.

When I got my P320, it was already sighted in. The red dot was in the center of the front sight when the iron sights were lined up.

I took a gun rest to the range and shot first with the red dot off using only Iron sights. It shot abount 1/2 - 3/4 inch low/center.

I adjusted the red dot up a tad and the red dot now hits where I put it @ 7 yards.

If it is properly sighted (like others have stated), all you do is put the red dot where you want it. That will do it and congrats on your new toy and have fun shooting the heck out of it!!...

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I saw this the other day. I don't know much about the instructor. But it made sense to me.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I saw this the other day. I don't know much about the instructor. But it made sense to me.
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JDH40ebdNmM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

^^^^^This^^^^^ Aaron Cowen is a very solid instructor and this video is a "must watch" for anyone who is transitioning to a red dot.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post. All this information is really helpful.
I went to the range today and I am pretty sure I have it sighted in correctly, or very very close. This red dot sight is amazing. Wherever you put the dot it hits it...well as long as I don't jerk itSmile) But I am a newbie to all this so I am learning as I go.

Any info on how best to sight it in correctly, or to know if it is? Again, I am a newbie to all of this.