SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dear SIG: Can we start over?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear SIG: Can we start over? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taidog1:
To Whom it may concern:

I write this knowing I will draw fire. So, before you draw - I am not being sarcastic – or snide – or argumentative. I’m asking from a “practical” perspective and simply because I honestly don’t know.

I think it’s great that the more experienced SIG users here want to talk about their “ultimate” SIG. I really do.

The reason I’m confused by most of what is being said here is this. My P239 – and my P220 – as is – are all I want and could ever ask for in 2018, 2019 and probably beyond. Seriously. They both fit my hands almost perfectly. Reliable? To a fault. The .357 SIG and .45 acp? Eventually, Captain Kirk might let me borrow his hand laser with Stun and Vaporize modes – but until then – what I have both excel in their missions considering the admitted limitations of SD handguns. The P239 hides nicely.

All to say, I respect your deeper level of experience – and I understand your wish list endeavors – but am puzzled by wanting to fix what are already working so well? Maybe it's because they just work so well for me????

OK…back to our regularly scheduled programming. Thanks. Carry on.

Posts: 13 | Location: Blue Ridge Mountains | Registered: May 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

quote:
quote:
Name one gun in history that was "right from the get go."

Multiple HK releases, including very recent ones. Or you're aware of any post release changes done to, say, P30?

No modifications, changes or "beta testing?" How sure are you? Does said design innovate in any appreciable way? Would you like to count "Gen 5" Glocks? Because I would posit that a "version X.X" of an established chain of weapons has plenty of "beta testing" behind it, not just the R&D.

I am slightly confused why I would be counting Gen 5 Glocks when I said "HK". Innovation? I'd
say yes, the most modular frame design with the easiest way of changing erogs, the most intelligent decocker design for DA/SA, LEM trigger unlike anything else on the market. Yes, I am pretty sure that there were no post-release changes to address deficiencies found by end users, an occurrence with which SIG is synonymous these days.

The reason I bring up Gen 5 Glocks, is the same vein as the P30, as in it is in essence a USP 3.0. The lifespan of these pistol designs is quite long, over time they change and evolve. Sometimes this evolution is minor design changes to a current model, sometimes it is developed into a separate model. Successes are built on, what doesn't work fades. Some companies simply slowly change a successful design over time.

Some companies produce wholly new pistols.

Did SIG wade out to far in design? Did they choose inappropriate materials? Did they release these pistols too soon? Did they test it enough? We can speculate about all kinds of things. Were they doing something new and different, or building on their platform with decades of performance?

The P22x series pistols are changing slowly, things are being left behind, many here would lament the phasing out of certain models. SIG is also doing new things, there have been some issues, but this isn't actually some sort of anomaly in the firearms industry. These things do happen, and the company either corrects them and moves forward, or the design gets shelved. Some companies manage to quietly change even major problems, some don't get that luxury.

I'd say it would be awfully presumptuous to decide for SIG when and how fast it should innovate, and why it makes the choices it does. There is too much we don't know and won't know. I'm certain they're highly motivated to sort out their new pistol designs. Dollars will do that.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taidog1:
To Whom it may concern:... Thanks. Carry on.

Hey,
As for me, I have a hard time keeping anything as it is. From converting a Glock 21 to .38 Super, importing pistols from overseas, or drawing blueprints to take to a machine shop to scratch build parts for a 1911 just because it hasn't been made before. Yeah, its that bad. I bought a Desert Eagle many years ago and have changed it constantly. It worked just fine when I bought it, but somehow I thought 'what if'... This let me realize I don't need to buy an AR-15 or a 9mm Glock. Big Grin

As far as the Sig P220 goes, I usually add a fat guide rod, short reset trigger kit, and checkered aluminum grips (I prefer aluminum over G10, most everyone else is G10 all the way) to them. It is more of a personal preference than anything else. I'm not really into having a rail on all of the newer models, some are. Some prefer a folded steel slide more than a stainless slide.

I don't think you'd have to worry about getting attacked for your perspective here. This forum is mostly self regulated and well run. I may have some knowledge about the P220, but know peanuts about the Beretta 92 and don't know why anyone would buy such a thing. The Beretta 92 owner would say I'm nuts for owning more than one Desert Eagle. I can respect that.

I hope you enjoy this forum, we are glad you are here.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

If you look in the dictionary under "mechanical" you will find my picture - in a circle - with a very dark X over the picture. NOT to say I can't shoot because I can with confidence & competence.

But tools are not my forte (not "fortay" for you 40 fans) and why I place such a very high priority on quality and trusted dependability in my handguns.

Be sure to thank a veteran today!!!!!

Posts: 13 | Location: Blue Ridge Mountains | Registered: May 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Multiple HK releases, including very recent ones. Or you're aware of any post release changes done to, say, P30?
Google any problems with VP9, P30.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Discounting the fallacy of the perfect or right gun for everyone, the G43 perhaps?

There are the subjective complaints like the heaviness of the trigger break or snappiness of its recoil. Or whether 6 plus 1 is really enough. But there's been very little if any griping about real functional problems with the gun, unlike the G42 went through with its notorious 'break-in' period for some of the 380s. About as GTG as I can ever remember.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

No modifications, changes or "beta testing?" How sure are you? Does said design innovate in any appreciable way? Would you like to count "Gen 5" Glocks? Because I would posit that a "version X.X" of an established chain of weapons has plenty of "beta testing" behind it, not just the R&D.

I am slightly confused why I would be counting Gen 5 Glocks when I said "HK". Innovation? I'd
say yes, the most modular frame design with the easiest way of changing erogs, the most intelligent decocker design for DA/SA, LEM trigger unlike anything else on the market. Yes, I am pretty sure that there were no post-release changes to address deficiencies found by end users, an occurrence with which SIG is synonymous these days.

The reason I bring up Gen 5 Glocks, is the same vein as the P30, as in it is in essence a USP 3.0. The lifespan of these pistol designs is quite long, over time they change and evolve. Sometimes this evolution is minor design changes to a current model, sometimes it is developed into a separate model. Successes are built on, what doesn't work fades. Some companies simply slowly change a successful design over time.

Big differnce bewtween refining and fixing. The USP was right form the get go, at the time. It refined over time to enhance its usabilty. Guns like the 365,320,MPX,MCX,556R, P290, P938 needed to be fixed almost immediately.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Big differnce bewtween refining and fixing. The USP was right form the get go, at the time. It refined over time to enhance its usabilty. Guns like the 365,320,MPX,MCX,556R, P290, P938 needed to be fixed almost immediately.

Yep, cosmetic refining is NOT the same as mechanical fixing. Btw, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the USP, even cosmetically. There are many people, me included, who prefer the USP to later HK polymer offerings. I take the USP Compact over the HK 2000 any days.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tomball Pawn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

While we're asking for everything we want, I want a pony that farts gold bricks.

Dang, I was holding out for an elephant that pushes out a platinum/palladium blend... and a strong pachyderm enema.
I'll take the gold brick pony... platinum is barely worth more than 14K gold... but of course a pawnshop guy would know this. LOL

Posts: 21 | Registered: April 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Yep, cosmetic refining is NOT the same as mechanical fixing. Btw, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the USP, even cosmetically. There are many people, me included, who prefer the USP to later HK polymer offerings. I take the USP Compact over the HK 2000 any days.

What's your reasoning on this? My next handgun will either be a USPc9 or a P2000 9mm. I lean a little bit toward the P2000 because it appears remarkably similar to my HK45C that I love. I've shot the USPc9 and loved it, and figure the P2000 would feel about identical to the USPc.

EDIT: Sorry for the thread drift. On topic, HK DID get it right the first time, numerous times. Mk23 or USP, MP5, PSG-1. IMO it's silly to disregard the constant, blatant fuck-ups coming out of nu-Sig. I've loved all the older Sigs I've owned. Nu-Sig's recent streak of non-drop safe, break-within-500rd guns is bordering on Taurus levels of QC.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmoneybags:
What's your reasoning on this? My next handgun will either be a USPc9 or a P2000 9mm. I lean a little bit toward the P2000 because it appears remarkably similar to my HK45C that I love. I've shot the USPc9 and loved it, and figure the P2000 would feel about identical to the USPc.

The USPc looks just perfect to me, the way it is. I don't care for the cosmetic refinements in the P2000. Even the interchangeable backstraps do nothing for me, because I like the USPc gripping surface. Since you like the HK45c, for sure you will like the 2000 more. Not me.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:

This.

I broke my own rule of no new Sig stuff and picked up a p210 and a Rattler. My reasoning was they probably couldn't fuck up the 210 and the MCX has been out long enough with the beta testers (public) that it should be pretty ironed out.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3598 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I would have just been happy with not ruining a perfectly good pistol with an "upgrade".

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I would have just been happy with not ruining a perfectly good pistol with an "upgrade".

If Glock is any indicator, it seems the upgrades are simply going back to the original design, Gen1/Gen5. I actually thought the Gen4 was the best of the bunch but I dont mind finger grooves. In regards to Sigs, The only thing I didnt mind changing on the P series was the stainless slides. They can keep the beavertials, long extractors, PVD finishes, MIM parts....and rails on the midsize Sigs.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uhhh, most of them. Using the customer to beta test is a fairly new thing. You'd get refinements and changes due to new technology, but the designs of the guns were sound.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, but even when the design is good there may be something lacking in the execution. And the design hasn't always been good (early Colt DA revolvers, anyone?).

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's any question that SIG's QC could use a tweak, and I do think they have let consumers beta test the 365 which is not cool. I will say, that every SIG I own, and they are all made in the last 5 years has functioned perfectly without a single malfunction of any kind with the exception of my 320x5, which needed a break in, and now runs anything. I have a total of 9 SIG's, 2 are x5's from Germany, 2 320x5's, 1 229 and 4 226's and they are accurate, great shooters that I would trust my life to. I just wish they would get their quality control together a little bit better.

I do, however, have 12 Hk'sSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A brand new pistol, made out of Unicorn Farts, perfect for every shooter, and is perfect from the get-go???

Or maybe SIG could just get us some . . .
. . . DAMN MAGAZINES ! ! !

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post