SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2005 SIG P226 ST
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 SIG P226 ST Login/Join 
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted
I just bought a SIG P226 ST 9mm that was apparently manufactured in 2005. I pulled the grips off and 1/2004 was on both. Serial number is U6795XX. It came with 4 magazines all marked MecGar. 3-18 black and one 17 round nickel. Condition is superb. There were a few really faint specs of corrosion that I mostly got off with Eezox. No pitting at all. This thing is basically mint with an estimated round count of 81.

The guy I bought it from got it from his brother who had a gun shop and bought it from the estate of the original owner. There was a note in the box stating: “Fired 30 rounds August 2006 and Fired 15 rounds 3/8/2016 + cleaned”. The guy I bought it from fired 36 rounds through it. Gun looks new.

The Trijicon night sights are dim as can be expected. The date code on the rear was “05” and front “04”. Both 8 height.

What would be safe to use to rub the small faint specs of corrosion off in combination with EEZOX or another cleaner?

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I have no advice to offer about cleaning it but congrats on the stainless 226 Cool . That's been one of my bucket guns for years.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
I have no advice to offer about cleaning it but congrats on the stainless 226 Cool . That's been one of my bucket guns for years.

Thanks. Yea I’ve wanted one for a long time. Shooting these guns is so pleasant. Super light smooth recoil. I love it.

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Id try 000 or 0000 steel wool

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
At one point I had 20+ 226's, after thinning down this is 1 of 2 I kept. Approaching 17K rounds. Full Gray Guns action job.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I purchased U678405 in July 2004.

A brush with copper bristles used lightly with any decent gun oil will probably remove the rust. Bronze “wool” would probably work well, but less so on a bead blasted finish.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not entirely on topic, for which I apologize, but it takes forever to get the smell of Eezox off of your fingers. In my experience, FWIW, MPro7 cleans every bit as well as cleaners go.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Not entirely on topic, for which I apologize, but it takes forever to get the smell of Eezox off of your fingers. In my experience, FWIW, MPro7 cleans every bit as well as cleaners go.

Yes it does! I wasn’t aware of the smell. This was the first time I’ve used it. Decided on it after seeing a corrosion test a guy did with all the major gun treatments. It came out on top.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
That’s everyone for the cleaning suggestions.

I’m thinking about possibly sending it to Robert Burke The SIG Armorer eventually for the QTR, Carry Action Package, and new night sights. Also, undecided if I should get it refinished in some super corrosion resistant finish like I’m NP3 or CPII or leave it as is.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
That’s everyone for the cleaning suggestions.

I’m thinking about possibly sending it to Robert Burke The SIG Armorer eventually for the QTR, Carry Action Package, and new night sights. Also, undecided if I should get it refinished in some super corrosion resistant finish like I’m NP3 or CPII or leave it as is.

I'd leave the finish. The only thing im contemplating on mine is to have CCR bead blast it back to its full glory.

A man of few words
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 226ST. I remember going to a local shop back around 2006 or so with full intentions of buying a 226ST that day. In the 15 minutes it took me to drive there I decided to get a 220ST instead. I still have the 220, but I'd like to have the 226 to go with it.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, undecided if I should get it refinished in some super corrosion resistant finish like I’m NP3 or CPII or leave it as is.

Again FWIW, if you're willing to get it refinished, then call up SIG and see if their guys can't do something for you in terms of refinishing or simply cleaning up the existing finish.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig can bead blast refinish the slide and frame. They will refinish steel frame pistols.

Posts: 28 | Registered: February 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a fine looking firearm. I’d just posted a question here in the forum the other day about weapon lights for my P226ST.

It’s nice to see they are so appreciated.

I had been shopping for a kind of go to war, end of the world firearm and as I was doing research on all the big name striker fired poly guns it hit me that my P226ST with a 9mm drop in conversation barrel is actually perfect for the job. I can shoot three calibers in it, it’s extremely accurate and it will hold up to anything a poly gun will.

I was also happy to learn that I can get a Safariland ALS/QLS system is still available for it.

I own 2 other P226s, but this one is my favorite.

I’m sure it will serve you well.

Posts: 6 | Registered: June 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Also, undecided if I should get it refinished in some super corrosion resistant finish like I’m NP3 or CPII or leave it as is.

Again FWIW, if you're willing to get it refinished, then call up SIG and see if their guys can't do something for you in terms of refinishing or simply cleaning up the existing finish.

It’s basically new except for a few really small faint dots of corrosion that were starting. That should be easily cleaned off. No need to bead blast it. I was just thinking of finishing it in something like NP3 or CPII for corrosion prevention and less maintenance if I ever decide to carry it. Of course as heavy as it is that probably wouldn’t occur often. I just bought a Glock 26 Gen-5 with front slide serrations to fill that role.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be jealous if I didn’t have one of my own. Well, to be honest I have two stainless steel P226’s, but they are both 357SIG. I predict you will be very happy with it.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be remiss if I didn’t advise you of the:

The SIG Service Plan Includes:

• Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide

• Complete detailed cleaning

• Expert factory inspection of all critical components

• Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)

• Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications

• Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)

• Function test

• This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness.

https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-works-services

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy:
I would be remiss if I didn’t advise you of the:

The SIG Service Plan Includes:

• Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide

• Complete detailed cleaning

• Expert factory inspection of all critical components

• Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)

• Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications

• Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)

• Function test

• This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness.

https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-works-services
That’s a great deal when you consider the cost of buying/installing new night sights alone.

Picture of ogive40
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. Its been said to never use steel wool on a stainless gun due to the porous nature of stainless. Soak it in wd-40 and lightly rub with pure copper pad or even a nylon gauze pad.

"The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental."
John Steinbeck

Posts: 2230 | Location: NJ | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post