SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do we like in 44 Magnum revolvers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like in 44 Magnum revolvers Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If it has a Ti cylinder you aren't supposed to use a metal brush or aggressive solvents for cleaning it. And the recoil is pretty unpleasant. I'd prefer a 629 Mountain Gun.

I put Pachmayr Decelerator grips on my 329PD, they really help to tame the recoil on the lightweight beast.

It is a good revolver to carry in the backcountry. Easy to wear all day, powerful enough to take care of business when needed. It is not intended to be shot for extended sessions at the firing range .

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The X frame 500 grips fit the N frame. Extra cushion in the backstrap. If it had to be a 3 incher I'd get those

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Ruger Blackhawk (flattop) .44
Love it!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
You might also consider the Mountain Gun variant. 4" barrel in .44 and it is a lot lighter which is welcome when packing the thing around all day. It's a great little revolver and I've carried mine for a long time while in the woods. So much so that I haven't even shot my 6" in close to 10 years.

You might also consider a G20. I'd put 16 rounds (with a quick reload of 15 more) of 10mm up against 6 rounds of .44 any day. In a chest holster it's quite comfortable to carry all day as well.

No revolver is perfect for this use, however. If you want to feel comfortable, a 45-70 or a shotgun will be your best friend.

This is my favorite as well, Cabelas did a for run of M29 MGs, I sent mine to Alex Hamilton for a trigger job, gold bead, express rear sight, moon clip mod and magna ported.

The single action is too light but the double action is so smooth you don't need the single action.

awesome carry revolver in a RGrizzle IWB holster, I carry Hornady 300gr HP in it. When wearing wooden Ahrends it can smart at bit Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I've got the S&W 629s in 4", 5", & 6". My favorite is the 5" (doesn't seem overly long as with the 6" and better recoil management than the 4").

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hansgruber:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The Ruger will laugh off loads that would disintegrate the Smith and Wesson.

Uh...while it's always fun to denegrate the maker of whatever one does not own, consider this. S&W's .44 Magnum revolvers are also smaller, slimmer, lighter, and generally considered more ergonomic.
Having said that, a S&W .44 is NOT going to disintegrate shooting ANY SAAMI spec load...period. All wishful thinking aside. Perhaps it might experience functional issues down the road after having fired a substantial number, but just BLOW UP? Not even hardly! Also, there is a difference in recent production S&W's versus the older models.

But most importantly I'd like to point out, S&W introduced and still to this day makes a 56 ounce, .500 magnum in 4" that is an amazingly powerful backwoods gun. People are always shooting overly heavy bullets in them, and pushing them to the limit....that "limit" being rated for a monster cartridge rated to 60,000 psi. The .500 magnum makes the .454 Casull look like a BB gun...and the underpowered, yet "big nameed" .480 Ruger is meaningless in the S&W's shadow. Even the short barrel .500 is capable of pushing over 2,000 lb-ft of KE with 350-440 grain slugs....! A 440 grain slug is MORE than one ounce...and clearly far more potent than even the mighty 12 gauge! What's that? What did you say RUGER has to counter this? Nothing? EXACTLY!

So tell me...in all the years SINCE 1993 when S&W introduced the M500...why hasn't RUGER followed suit? Why hasn't RUGER introduced yet ANOTHER 50 pound boat anchor that users can claim will handle hotter loads and by that metric ALONE, makes it better? Hmmm?

Because as it stands, the Ruger Redhawk weighs almost exactly the same as the 4" M500 Smith. WHO in their right mind would chose the paltry performance of ANY .44 magnum load over the monstrous blast of the .500? Also factor in that the .500 comes factory stock with a truly functional muzzle brake that DOES make it one-handed, human-shootable.

Where is Ruger on this?

In fact, where is Ruger on the .460 S&W Magnum? The "best" Ruger has been courageous enough to build is the .454 and .480, both of which the .460 Smith leaves in the dust. And in FACT, WHY would anyone with a functioning brain pan buy a Ruger in .454" when they could have the .460 S&W which can shoot the LOWER POWERED .454 Casull all day long from it's MUCH LONGER, built to handle the MUCH MORE POWERFUL, .460 S&W MAGNUM chambers? The .454 is like what? 1.3" long case? The .460 S&W is 1.84" LONG! On top of all this it's RATE...that means SAAMI rated to 65,000 psi! I own a .460XVR gain twist 8.5" that can push 3,000 lb-ft of KE....something NOTHING Ruger builds in the HANDGUN market can even HOPE to reach!

So why all the junk-yard dog barking about Ruger? Until Ruger is willing to PUT UP OR SHUT UP, the pure facts are, S&W builds a FAR more potent revolver, and yet it's STILL built in a manner that makes it belt carriable!

RUGER does NOT make a .460 3"
RUGER does NOT make a .460 5"
RUGER does NOT make a .460 ANYTHING

RUGER does NOT make a .500 4"
RUGER does NOT make a .500 6.5"
RUGER does NOT make a .500 ANYTHING

And the Ruger .480 is ballistically only about a bigger bullet moving relatively slowly...not even worthy to be listed in the same post with the big S&W rounds!

I'm just sayin'...before you start pulling Ruger's zipper down to boast...consider that S&W left them in the dust over 20 years ago.

ADDITIONALLY:

Apparently Ruger cannot produce a .500 of their own because they'd have to make it weigh 12 pounds in order to compete with the superior technology of S&W.

S&W makes an all steel, 37 ounce, .44 Magnum revolver that CAN handle any load wimpy Buffalo-Bore has ever developed...RUGER on the other hand can't even figure out HOW to build a .44 that weighs less than a small SUV! OF COURSE if all you build are 10 pounds boat anchors it's EASY to say they'll stand up to the recoil of a given caliber....but it's all a lie that simply plays well with the anti-S&W crowd.

I've owned quite a few Rugers over the years...still do. But across the caliber spectrum, EVERYTHING Ruger builds, S&W builds something that LOOKS better, IS LIGHTER, IS MORE COMPACT, and of late, IS LESS EXPENSIVE! I own several S&W 642's that tip the scales at 14 ounces....a weight RUGER can only dream of even using the most repulsive polymer frame ever seen on Earth! By contrast the S&W is sleek, handsome, all aluminum, and cost less!

Ruger worship has gotten to the point where the followers need to go on over to the 7.62 Tokarev line and que up!!!

Sorry for the "rant," but how about checking FACTS before you start seeing how far you can urinate up a rope.

I did. I own both.

I prefer ruger Then again, i've never has a ruger fail, whereas I cant say the same for Smith, and while I cant comment on Ruger's repair service, I have had s&w fail to honor their warranty. Unimpressed.

Take a vallium. Play a native flute. Lower that blood pressure.

Why doesnt Ruger make a .460 or .500? Dont know. Dont care. Perhaps if Ruger felt there was an adequate market. Perhaps if there wasnt such a high demand for their existing products. Who knows.

If you want a smith, buy a smith. If you choose to believe that smiths have the strength of a ruger, then be happy. Just dont put it to the test. I've yet to see a single s&w-only load.

It may just be a fluke.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I owned a S&W Model 29 for about a year.

I traded one of those for a nickel P226 last year.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put 75 rounds through the ruger kodiak backer today (again, just a 2.75" redhawk with a rounded grip frame). While it isn't an all day range gun, it wasn't terrible to shoot for 75 rounds.

I'm glad I chose it over the 4.2" redhawk, it's a handy revolver for sure and absolutely has a place for what I do. I'll be taking it with me next week going after dall sheep.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Ruger Super Blackhawk!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I owned a S&W Model 29 for about a year.
Not problems with a variety of ammo.
But I sold it when the novelty wore off.
Another firearm (and caliber) that I bought I didn't really need.

It was a hoot at the range.
Quite the attention getter.. Big Grin

That's funny. I love it when some dude brings in a fire breather into an interior range. I like watching the reactions. For myself, I cannot shoot normally while one of those guns is going off, I have to wait to fire between strings. I'm just too jumpy by nature.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post