SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do we like in 44 Magnum revolvers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like in 44 Magnum revolvers Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 500 in a 4" bbl and it was not pleasant. But I shot 7 rounds from a Performance Center 327 and I had a hard time squeezing off #8 with 158 gr full house loads. Ouch.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jus228:
I've shot 454 in a Super red hawk and the 500 in a 8" S&W and the 500 was a pussycat, and the 454 was the most unpleasant handgun I've ever shot other than a snub nose 357.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hansgruber:

Uh...while it's always fun to denegrate the maker of whatever one does not own,
Sorry for the "rant," but how about checking FACTS before you start seeing how far you can urinate up a rope.

Are you suggesting I don't own one, tough guy? LOL

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Does anybody know if the Dan Wesson revolvers were built strong enough to handle the heavier .44Mag loads?

I shot full Desert Eagle loads in one I swapped the barrel on for a guy and it handled them with no problem.

However, it rattled ME clean back to my childhood.

Just kinda thinkin that the best thing to shoot full Desert Eagle loads would be one of these? A lot can be said for having four recoil springs. Big Grin

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom: Does "pre safe-T-Hammer" mean "-4" ?

Mine is a -3 and the -4 is GTG. The -5 is a "pre" but has MIM parts that serious S&W collectors/accumulators avoid*.

*controversial to say the least.

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My .44 woods gun - http://ruger.com/products/vaqu...pecSheets/10596.html

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CromBig Grinoes "pre safe-T-Hammer" mean "-4" ?

Safe-T hammer was the company that bought S&W during the dark times (Clinton Presidency) and the introducer of the "Hillary Hole" integral lock.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also handeled a 329PD at the local shop today.
It felt really good.
Didn't shoot it though.
Other than price, any downside to the Scandium/Titanium materials ?
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-329pd

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If it has a Ti cylinder you aren't supposed to use a metal brush or aggressive solvents for cleaning it. And the recoil is pretty unpleasant. I'd prefer a 629 Mountain Gun.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I owned a S&W Model 29 for about a year.
Not problems with a variety of ammo.
But I sold it when the novelty wore off.
Another firearm (and caliber) that I bought I didn't really need.

It was a hoot at the range.
Quite the attention getter.. Big Grin

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Rugers.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the light, L frame 44 magnum from Smith and Wesson for carry. I also have a couple of Ruger single action in the same caliber. If I could only keep one it would be the Ruger. They are pleasant to shoot.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my ruger Kodiak backpacker 44mag.

its just a redhawk with a 2.75" barrel and a rounded grip/frame.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hansgruber:
S&W makes an all steel, 37 ounce, .44 Magnum revolver that CAN handle any load wimpy Buffalo-Bore has ever developed...

Which S&W model is this? AFAIK, BB specifically said that the 340 gr +P+ is only to be used in Ruger guns.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

I'd certainly consider that.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have a 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum for hunting. I have an 8" Colt Anaconda for hunting or open carry in the woods with potential black bear encounters. I have a 6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary Flattop .44 magnum for fun shooting or cowboy carry. I have a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum for concealed carry in the woods for potential black bear encounters. I have a Winchester '94 .44 magnum to compliment my .44 magnum handguns and hunting. I have a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull for potential brown bear encounters.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Ruger....

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you shop hard you can find deals. Even here in CA where pre lock smiths are hard to find, earlier this year I scored a 629-4 4" for $650. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I also have a 5 inch classic and a 6.5 inch classic and a 83/8 inch blue 29. Had 3 inchers in the past and muzzle blast is just too much. Even 4 inches is impressive.

I also like my rugers, I have a 44 vaquero bisley in 45/8 and it's amazing. Also super Blackhawks and in 5.5 and 7.5 inches. If I was carrying for self defense or a back up to a rifle I'd take the 4 incher or the 4 5/8 vaquero. If it was my primary hunting gun I'd take the 5.5 or 7.5.

Entry price into a ruger single action will be much less than a smith.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
6" 629 no dash P&R. A good companion for my Winchester 94 Trapper 44 Magnum.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
my friend is selling his grandpa's Ruger Super Redhawk 2"? 3"?? in .44 mag. It was only shot once or twice. He keeps asking me if I want to buy it, and I keep saying there's no way i need/want a snubbie in 44 mag. Razz yall are crazy! Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

I'd certainly consider that.

Im headed back to AK in ~ 2 weeks but rhis time to stay (got a real job this time) and the redhawk kodiak is one of only 5-6 guns that are going with us.

It handles buffalo bore, underood and garrett ammo just fine, its not fun to shoot that stuff through it but its not really an all day range gun either.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post