SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do we like in 44 Magnum revolvers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like in 44 Magnum revolvers Login/Join 
posted
For a camping/hiking gun in Utah/Idaho potential bear country.

OK...maybe that is just an excuse for wanting a 44 mag, but what do we like, and why ?
Thanks!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 629-4 with 4" barrel. Why? Because it's damn near if not the best ever. Stainless for durability in the elements, -4 because it's got everything you want and nothing you don't, and 4" because it's long enough to achieve good velocity and aim but short enough to carry easily.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
S&W 629-4 with 4" barrel.

That's exactly what I've been thinking!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
^^^Except I would go with a 6" barrel. I would not consider a Redhawk, I had one and compared to the 629 it weighed a ton, not a hiking/camping pistol.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one I carried on a couple occasions, Redhawk with 5.5" barrel. It will handle the loads made by companies such as Underwood and Buffalo Bore that a Smith & Wesson can't shoot. In my opinion, none better.

The ammo I would choose.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
In the backwoods I carry a .44 Taurus Tracker. 4" barrel. Really really like this gun.

Stock photo:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
except for the Redhawk, which is capable of handling all the full-power .44 mag your hands and elbows will stand.

full disclosure - I have a 8 3/8" M29-3, a 7 1/2" Redhawk, and a 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk, and have not managed to break any of them.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
S&W 629-4 with 4" barrel. Why? Because it's damn near if not the best ever. Stainless for durability in the elements, -4 because it's got everything you want and nothing you don't, and 4" because it's long enough to achieve good velocity and aim but short enough to carry easily.

"That's all folks" !

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
For bears, I would prefer to have something more than a .44 magnum.

But if you want a .44, it depends on your use. If you want to shoot tons of full power loads, a Redhawk. There is nothing wrong with a Blackhawk or a Freedom Arms, but they are SA, and less fast to deploy. For more grace and style, and fewer full power loads, a Smith 29.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Super Redhawk, 7 1/2 barrel. I however have not worn it in a shoulder holster all day. Never a problem with the gun.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've shot 629s, Redhawks and Blackhawks. I am a Ruger guy all the way when it comes to .44. I found the 629 hurt the web of my hand in a way that the Ruger's didn't. And the Smith had rubber grips, where both Rugers had wood. Most comfortable is the Blackhawk, but for DA/SA convenience and quicker reloads, my vote would be the 5.5 inch Redhawk. NOT the Super Redhawk. Super has a larger, heavier frame that extends out over the first 2 inches or so of the barrel, and is not needed for .44.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Fishing in grizzly country I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk in an Alaska Guide chest holster--in addition to my bear spray. It was loaded with Buffalo Bore 305 gr hardcast bullets. Fortunately, I never had to confirm its adequacy.

Posts: 13233 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Alaskan is what I prefer and what I carry in bear country.

.44 magnum is certainly adequate enough for grizzly bear.

I can also carry it all day in a Simply Rugged holster and forget it's even there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will tell you what a 629 excels at....snake hunting, specifically, cottonmouths, loaded with a shot shell every other, and a cast Keith to about the speed of sound, nothing can touch it.

I think bear spray has been proven to be more effective than a firearm in stopping a attack by a bear.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
S/W 629 my favorite and I also have a 29,with 8 inch barrels.
I have taken deer but the only black bear was taken with an 06,had the 629 with me as a sidearm are as usual but 06 was across my lap and was faster.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Used to have a Dan Wesson SS 44mag. GREAT gun!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
A 629 4" on your belt is pretty comfortable for a day in the woods;

the 7 1/2" Redhawk I once owned was heavy enough I preferred a chest carry rig.

My vote is for DA/SA regardless of the SA models with their own virtues; ability to reload rapidly may some day be of concern.

While I much preferred carrying a 3" 629 in reality I was unable to become comfortable enough with the considerable muzzle flash regardless of recipe load, compared to the far more docile and reliable accuracy I could produce at 35 yards. The 6" 629 gives me another step up in ability to make accurate field shots, while the 8 3/8" 629 is simply too bulky in general, despite supreme accuracy compared to the others.

The Ruger Red Hawks handle more like a kindling maul than a splitting axe, if that makes any sense to you.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! You are all confirming the same models I have been looking at.
The S&W 629-4, 4" seems very attractive to me, but "saving money" is also attractive.
Does anyone have a direct comparison to the Taurus models? Is there a significant difference in function/reliability? because they are obviously only about half the price.

posted Hide Post
Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless 4 inch. Carried in a Gunfighters Inc Chest Rig. Underwood 240 Gr. Bonded HP.
It works. All the time.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about a S&W 629-3 in a 4" barrel?

Posts: 865 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post