SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    German sig question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German sig question Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys just trying to learn about the German sigs,I've been wanting to get one but seems to me theres different "versions" of them,
How can a frame be German and not the slide ?
What markings should I be looking for
Should it have markings on both slide and frame and if so where
Any answers would be extremely helpful and appropriated
Thank you
P.s. I have been looking at the 226 any comments or concerns I should be aware of ??
Thanks

Posts: 102 | Location: North Haven ,CT | Registered: March 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hddreamer:
Hey guys just trying to learn about the German sigs,I've been wanting to get one but seems to me theres different "versions" of them,
How can a frame be German and not the slide ?
What markings should I be looking for
Should it have markings on both slide and frame and if so where
Any answers would be extremely helpful and appropriated
Thank you
P.s. I have been looking at the 226 any comments or concerns I should be aware of ??
Thanks

"German" SIGs

1- True German made SIGs are made, assembled, and proofed in Germany - They will have the German proof marks, and least 2 matching serial numbers.

2- SIGs that are made from German parts but assembled at SIG USA will not have the German proof marks. Some of them have frame and slide made in Germany. Some have frame made in Germany and slide made in the US.

3- SIGs that are made at SIG USA and then shipped to Germany to be sold there will be proofed there. So, they will have the German proof marks as required. But, they will have the "US" stamped on the frame, indicating that they were actually made in the US.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Q it makes more sense now

Posts: 102 | Location: North Haven ,CT | Registered: March 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Some German SIGs have 'W's on them... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hddreamer:
I have been looking at the 226 any comments or concerns I should be aware of ??
Thanks

Yup. I wasn't able to have only one of them.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
2- SIGs that are made from German parts but assembled at SIG USA will not have the German proof marks. Some of them have frame and slide made in Germany. Some have frame made in Germany and slide made in the US.

Is there a way to tell if the slide was made in Germany or USA?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Is there a way to tell if the slide was made in Germany or USA?

For the milled stainless slide, unless it's marked "Made In Germany" or "DE", one has to assume it was made in the US.

For the folded carbon steel slide, even in the rare cases where you don't see "Made In Germany" marked on it, it was made in Germany. All folded slides are made in Germany.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
3- SIGs that are made at SIG USA and then shipped to Germany to be sold there will be proofed there. So, they will have the German proof marks as required. But, they will have the "US" stamped on the frame, indicating that they were actually made in the US

I can't imagine there's much of a demand in Germany for those?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
3- SIGs that are made at SIG USA and then shipped to Germany to be sold there will be proofed there. So, they will have the German proof marks as required. But, they will have the "US" stamped on the frame, indicating that they were actually made in the US

I can't imagine there's much of a demand in Germany for those?

I don't know what the demand is over there for US made SIGs, but, just for example, these two large German dealers list quite a few different US made SIG models for sale.

https://www.rothe-waffen.de/sh...auer_kurzwaffen.html
http://www.bh-waffenhandel.de/...n/sig-sauer-pistolen

Q

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I ran upon a very interesting article a while back covering this very subject.

Is my “Made in Germany” (or West Germany) SIG Really German?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: texassierra,

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent article, thanks for sharing!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post