SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Metal mags for Glocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal mags for Glocks Login/Join 
posted
with the success of Shield Arms 15 round mags for the Glock 43x, what do we think about them coming out with one for the 45 ACP Glocks?

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to give them a try. I would however miss the ability to beat the crap out of them like I could with a factory mag. Toughness counts for something, too.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The glock mags are metal, with a plastic shell. Still, pmags work quite well, too.

The Shield mags in my G43X and G48 are a nice improvement for capacity in a limited-capacity pistol, but they are expensive and chew up the factory mag release.

If I want more rounds out of a G17, I'll either run a 21 or 24 round magazine, or put a taran tactical basepad on it and increase the capacity that way. I can keep running pmags and glock factory mags, and even Elite Tactical mags, without worrying about swapping around mag releases, or tearing up magazines. I know the Glock mags will soldier on after I've dropped them in the dirt 500 times and run stupid amounts of ammo through them, and given their cost, availability, and function and reliability, I'll stay close to home and shoot what works.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Why?
Glock mags are cheap, durable and reliable.
If you run ammo through one to test the function properly you are at half the price of the mag in ammo. That's before the panic.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the Shield mags but will wait to see how they do long term.
As an aside, I just bought some police turn in mags from GunMagWarehouse for my Glock 23.
13 bucks. Thats hard to beat. They look unissued.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I was just looking at those same mags at gunmagwarehouse.

posted Hide Post
If you look at the mag designs and space available, there isn't much room in the regular Glock mags (9mm or 45) to squeeze much more space. You might be able to get 1 more round?

I'm looking at a Glock 21 mag now and if it was entirely metal, you might, might squeeze one more round in.

Well, that's my 2 cents. no change needed.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
If you look at the mag designs and space available, there isn't much room in the regular Glock mags (9mm or 45) to squeeze much more space. You might be able to get 1 more round?

I'm looking at a Glock 21 mag now and if it was entirely metal, you might, might squeeze one more round in.

Well, that's my 2 cents. no change needed.

You might want to go take a look at shield arms mags they squezzed 5 extra rounds into the 43x. most said it couldn't be done and I was skeptical.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly they need to go ahead and do it so they can actually make something new. They could just make three new models, full size, compact and a subcompact with radically redesigned frames.

Posts: 28 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guppy: One of the mags they shipped me had a Pearce + extender. Bonus!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Worst case scenario: They will only sell to about 7% of Glocks plus the carbines, etc... that are built for use with Glock mags. That would be around a bazillion magazines (okay so I might be off a bit with the estimate).

Why wouldn't they?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post