SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question on Sig P220 Legion Finish
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Sig P220 Legion Finish Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I just bought a Sig P220 Legion and tonight I put in a threaded barrel and noticed a small portion of the frame that appears to not be treated with the proprietary Legion gray coating. Is this something I should contact customer service about, or not be concerned about? I just didn't expect to see this for the price of the gun.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try rubbing some gun oil on the spot. It is sort of a dry, matte finish.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:

I will try, but I don't think that is the problem. It looks like it either flaked off or was not coated. I am seeing on the internet there are many Legions with this issue.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience with the Legion finish, this simple trick will work. I hope it works for you!

Cathy

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Now I have found more areas missing the coating.

Slots under the rail.

Area under trigger guard.

Inside the rail.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Legion finish appears to be 'meh' all around.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
That kind of sucks, especially for the price.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

My husband and I have three--no issues with the finish. It is sort of dry and scratchy, so much so that my P226 Legion SAO took some time to sound smooth when you racked the slide.

Cathy

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My 229 and both 226's are like the pictures. I just put extra Lucas oil on them and haven't seen any further issues in fact some of the faded areas have gone back to looking normal.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The inside of the frame looks like a fail to me.

Maybe it's my monitor or my old eyes but it looks like chipping or a missed spot.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
The inside of the frame looks like a fail to me.

Maybe it's my monitor or my old eyes but it looks like chipping or a missed spot.

Yup, and yup.
It's the "new normal". Eek

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Really looks like flaked off finish in your pictures, if some oil did not help, then send that bad boy back.

I am so happy I have had zero issues with mine. I am sorry you did not have the same experience.

I trust SIG, they will make it right if it's not fixed with CLP/Oil.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow I will oil it and see what that does before I go shoot it. If the oil doesn't fix it, then I will contact Sig. I just hate to send a gun back that I have waited so long to get and just got.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well you were correct. I oiled the gun and it now looks just fine. It was just dry in those spots.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

Well you were correct. I oiled the gun and it now looks just fine. It was just dry in those spots.

Excellent! I am glad to hear that!

Have you shot it yet?

Cathy

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Excellent! I am glad to hear that!

Have you shot it yet?

About to leave now to go to the range.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Mine looked exactly like yours when I first brought it home. The PVD coating is very tough and durable but it does look strange when very dry and will appear goldish where it is rubbed a lot like on the frame rails.
Tis normal so shoot with confidence!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear. You see this a lot on AR15 receivers.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

About to leave now to go to the range.

Very good! Let us know how it works!

Cathy

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
It shot nice; I really love the trigger! I brought my P226 9mm along as well and I just love that gun. I can shoot way more accurate with it than the P220.